Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
the other top 4 could be Dermott too

Yeah I don't think the solution to the Leafs defensive woes this year is going to be to ice the exact same group, less Barrie and Ceci who played the entire year in the top 4.

Dubas has made it known he's looking for help on the blueline with term...

I think the real question is -- if they go big with a guy like Pietrangelo, they may have to cut corners and drop a guy like Dermott for somebody that can play at $1.25m. If they trade for a guy like Manson, pesce, or dumba, they may want Dermott in return.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yeah I don't think the solution to the Leafs defensive woes this year is going to be to ice the exact same group, less Barrie and Ceci who played the entire year in the top 4.

Dubas has made it known he's looking for help on the blueline with term...

I think the real question is -- if they go big with a guy like Pietrangelo, they may have to cut corners and drop a guy like Dermott for somebody that can play at $1.25m. If they trade for a guy like Manson, pesce, or dumba, they may want Dermott in return.
keep in mind that young players tend to get better, and Dubas looking for help pre-dated Dermott's showing in the last few games. He certainly has to keep that up, but if he does for a more significant sample it would be stupid to not bet on him.

I don't see Pietrangelo as a real option, we'd have to weaken a bunch of positions to make that work. Barrie hasn't fit well for us which was I think relatively expected, Dermott's a style fit if he turns out.

the defensive "woes" are overstated as well, this has been a middle of the pack defensive team by almost any measure that has gotten poor goaltending

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
The real overpaid player on the team is Marner. If he continues to produce the way he has this season, you probably look at swapping him for a couple of players who can help.

19th in the league in points AND missed 12 games due to injury
PK...PP...instantly props up his centre.

In NO way is he overpaid. Check back in a few years.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
They do have weakness on D, but thier main problem is imaturity, IMHO. Still a really young team compared to most, especially the "elite" teams.

Reactions: Smif

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
19th in the league in points AND missed 12 games due to injury
PK...PP...instantly props up his centre.

In NO way is he overpaid. Check back in a few years.
Objectively, he's overpaid with that level of performance, he slots in higher on a league scale in pay than any performance metric - pts, pts/game, pts/60, etc and he plays a less valuable position than all but 2 of the 13 guys that make over $10M AAV.

he probably won't be in a few years with cap inflation, but he got center money for his level of performance which is a breaking of the mold. He was more overpaid than either Matthews or Nylander at the time they signed by comparison to their peers.

I'll also say that he hasn't really underwhelmed since signing, he's been good, he just demanded more than his peers had or have.

Reactions: CincoHolio

member 300185

If the cap actually goes to 88 mil, that seriously helps the leafs big time. That is the money needed to sign a big top 2 RHD that the Leafs desperately need. Just as long as Dumbass doesn't squander the money on a diminutive D man. We want a guy like Pareyko or a Hedman type. Big, mobile and aggressive. Dumbass, if he is not big, don't sign him. If he is not mobile, don't sign him. If he is not aggressive, don't sign him. Another similar to Muzzin would really help.

Get rid of Ceci and his wants and needs. Get rid of Marincin....and I mean get RID of him. Send him to Alert.

And the hype train has left the Holl station. The novelty has been wearing off on that guy. We have a good D core with Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin. Let Lillypad cook for another season on the buses. Put on some man muscle. Back to Holl though, sure his last 10 games have been nasty, but another 2 months with the Marlboro's would do him good. He needs a huge off season and could be the difference of being a force to be reckoned with or "how did you get so fat over the summer" kind of thing.

And to be honest, Sandin is not really ready either but I think we have something in him.

Aaron Ekblad might be exactly what the doctor ordered. He is 6'4, Shoots right, is mobile and aggressive. And, Florida has been rumoured several times that they might move him. Hey, great time to get rid of that floater also known as Nylander and throw in a pick or a top prospect. I'd go Lilly and Nylander for Ekblad and retain 50% on Nylander for one year.

Or, see if Pareyko could be gotten. I'd prefer him better.

The cap news just opens up a lot for the leafs to improve their team big time.

When you can roll out

Rielly-Pareyko
Dermott-Muzzin

You are on to something.

Sandin-Holl not a bad 3rd pairing.

Its amazing how this cap news has got me excited.....for next year.

Oh yea, Barrie is gonzo.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bracco doesn't even look like an NHL player. Marner is on pace for 90+ points for the second year in a row. I know I've been hard on him this year but other than Nylander and Matthews, there's no player on the Leafs capable of that. Trade Johnsson, Dermott and Kerfoot for cap space to sign AP if that's what you wanna do. Keep Marner unless you can get Jones for him (only D-man I'd consider moving him for).

I think we'd be best to not judge Bracco for his performance this year. Something is going on with him, that we don't know, or understand. Had he built on his year last year, and continued to grow as a player, we'd be saying he was a NHL player. But, maybe he'll never even play hockey again, but we should wait, before making judgement.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
keep in mind that young players tend to get better, and Dubas looking for help pre-dated Dermott's showing in the last few games. He certainly has to keep that up, but if he does for a more significant sample it would be stupid to not bet on him.

I don't see Pietrangelo as a real option, we'd have to weaken a bunch of positions to make that work. Barrie hasn't fit well for us which was I think relatively expected, Dermott's a style fit if he turns out.

the defensive "woes" are overstated as well, this has been a middle of the pack defensive team by almost any measure that has gotten poor goaltending

Yes, young guys tend to get better... that doesn't mean he can rely on Travis Dermott to take the very small sample size of great play he's shown in the last week or so, and extrapolate that to being comfortable with him, rielly, holl and muzzin as his top 4 next year.

I agree with you, Pietrangelo is probably unrealistic given what it will do to the team's overall cap structure.... That doesn't mean Dubas isn't going to work every bit of magic he can to try and get a #2/3 guy to play alongside Rielly.

The reality is, if you assume that Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty, Subban and OEL arent the solution, there's no reason why dubas can't "bet" on Dermott as a #5 guy who can give them great depth.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think we'd be best to not judge Bracco for his performance this year. Something is going on with him, that we don't know, or understand. Had he built on his year last year, and continued to grow as a player, we'd be saying he was a NHL player. But, maybe he'll never even play hockey again, but we should wait, before making judgement.
Until we see something it's dumb to assume we can move Marner because of having Bracco. That was my point.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
At the end of the day, Pietro is only coming here if he wants to come here. He's a local bit and that could well be the case. If he's chasing $$$ though it won't be in Toronto. If he wants to take a fair deal to play in Toronto, we'll gladly take him.

It would be similar to the Tavares signing imho. We wouldnt get him by outbidding everybody else, but we would be paying the market value that others are offering. The hometown discount dream is just that.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Yes, young guys tend to get better... that doesn't mean he can rely on Travis Dermott to take the very small sample size of great play he's shown in the last week or so, and extrapolate that to being comfortable with him, rielly, holl and muzzin as his top 4 next year.

I agree with you, Pietrangelo is probably unrealistic given what it will do to the team's overall cap structure.... That doesn't mean Dubas isn't going to work every bit of magic he can to try and get a #2/3 guy to play alongside Rielly.

The reality is, if you assume that Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Doughty, Subban and OEL arent the solution, there's no reason why dubas can't "bet" on Dermott as a #5 guy who can give them great depth.
The sample size really isn't that small with Dermott, this is a small continuation of what we've seen for a couple of years.

If it's not a Pietranglo ilk guy, what's left on the free agent market likely isn't an upgrade on what we have. I agree that Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott isn't ideal from today's standpoint but I dont know if there's better options available or if that's nearly as bad as it looks. If Dermott is what he's been for the last few games, his top 4 pairing will be dominant whether it's with Rielly or Muzzin, so I would keep running him out there until he proves that it either is or isn't sustainable.

I don't hate him as the #5 either, just not sure if we have better options

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
If the cap actually goes to 88 mil, that seriously helps the leafs big time. That is the money needed to sign a big top 2 RHD that the Leafs desperately need. Just as long as Dumbass doesn't squander the money on a diminutive D man. We want a guy like Pareyko or a Hedman type. Big, mobile and aggressive. Dumbass, if he is not big, don't sign him. If he is not mobile, don't sign him. If he is not aggressive, don't sign him. Another similar to Muzzin would really help.

Get rid of Ceci and his wants and needs. Get rid of Marincin....and I mean get RID of him. Send him to Alert.

And the hype train has left the Holl station. The novelty has been wearing off on that guy. We have a good D core with Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, and Sandin. Let Lillypad cook for another season on the buses. Put on some man muscle. Back to Holl though, sure his last 10 games have been nasty, but another 2 months with the Marlboro's would do him good. He needs a huge off season and could be the difference of being a force to be reckoned with or "how did you get so fat over the summer" kind of thing.

And to be honest, Sandin is not really ready either but I think we have something in him.

Aaron Ekblad might be exactly what the doctor ordered. He is 6'4, Shoots right, is mobile and aggressive. And, Florida has been rumoured several times that they might move him. Hey, great time to get rid of that floater also known as Nylander and throw in a pick or a top prospect. I'd go Lilly and Nylander for Ekblad and retain 50% on Nylander for one year.

Or, see if Pareyko could be gotten. I'd prefer him better.

The cap news just opens up a lot for the leafs to improve their team big time.

When you can roll out

Rielly-Pareyko
Dermott-Muzzin

You are on to something.

Sandin-Holl not a bad 3rd pairing.

Its amazing how this cap news has got me excited.....for next year.

Oh yea, Barrie is gonzo.
Lol

Reactions: deprw

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You don't have to like Dubas, but give him credit where its due. It was pretty obvious the cap was going up and he clearly had a plan . It has been projected that the cap was going up for a while now, especially with the TV deal coming up for a renewal, new franchise in Seattle coming soon and other revenue streams coming in,of course it was going up. Suggesting that he's getting lucky, is rather ridiculous because it was common sense about where the cap was likely to go.

It's actually the opposite.

His blunder with Mathews' term will mean we don't get any relief with his deal. His next deal will be an insane number, and his deal will never look like a bargain like say Crosby's does today (and has for a while).

Reactions: MJK

horner

May 22, 2007
I'm not opposed to keeping Barrie, but at the right price, and circumstances. St. Louis is going to have choices to make with their RD, and they don't have much of a LD after this season. "If" they resign Pietrangelo before July 1st, maybe they are open to trading Rielly for Parayko. If so, maybe you resign Barrie at a decent amount, as your PP expert/offensive guy.

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Barrie
Sandin Holl
Rosen Marincin

isn't a bad D core at all.
5 mil at the most .
Defensive game sucks
Offensively so so

What do you think he will get.
Iam guessing some team will give him ,7 mil.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Overall nothing but good mews flr the team.

More money to spend on depth

We need a defensive add and thoughtful depth aquisisions, then decide if one of the forwards needs to go depending on whether the cap is around 88M or the 84M mark

Clifford, Johnsson and Kerfoot as the 3C need resolutions about their long term fit and future with the team

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The sample size really isn't that small with Dermott, this is a small continuation of what we've seen for a couple of years.

If it's not a Pietranglo ilk guy, what's left on the free agent market likely isn't an upgrade on what we have. I agree that Rielly, Muzzin, Holl, Dermott isn't ideal from today's standpoint but I dont know if there's better options available or if that's nearly as bad as it looks. If Dermott is what he's been for the last few games, his top 4 pairing will be dominant whether it's with Rielly or Muzzin, so I would keep running him out there until he proves that it either is or isn't sustainable.

I don't hate him as the #5 either, just not sure if we have better options

If you had said this a year ago, I'd be inclined to agree with you... but the fact is, Dermott had ample opportunity to step up this year and prove he can be a full time top 4 guy, and in his first 48 games or so, failed to do so.

Internally, we don't have better options, that's why Dubas is looking externally, so much so that he fully admitted looking for a defenceman with term leading up to the deadline. Generally GMs tend to be more coy about what they'd like to add.

The fact that Justin Holl has stepped up into that role does help the Leafs in keeping Dermott in a way, as his $2-3m salary means that you can probably afford to have a $2m guy as your #5.

Overall, I just don't think it's realistic that the Dubas does even worse than sitting on his hands, so that he can maintain the luxury of Engvall being a 4th line player.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If you had said this a year ago, I'd be inclined to agree with you... but the fact is, Dermott had ample opportunity to step up this year and prove he can be a full time top 4 guy, and in his first 48 games or so, failed to do so.

Internally, we don't have better options, that's why Dubas is looking externally, so much so that he fully admitted looking for a defenceman with term leading up to the deadline. Generally GMs tend to be more coy about what they'd like to add.

The fact that Justin Holl has stepped up into that role does help the Leafs in keeping Dermott in a way, as his $2-3m salary means that you can probably afford to have a $2m guy as your #5.

Overall, I just don't think it's realistic that the Dubas does even worse than sitting on his hands, so that he can maintain the luxury of Engvall being a 4th line player.
Dermott was still recovering from his shoulder injury when he came back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad