Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Is it still bailing out if they were pretty sure this was coming?

All signs point(ed) to the cap rising, and probably significantly over the next few years. Might explain the 'willy-nilly' spending habits, too.
Except for the escrow counter, it wasn't that simple.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Expected. The PA was already using almost as low an escalator possible(0.5%) so natural growth would put the low range still up decently from this year. I expect the number to be on the lower end of that as I don't expect much of any escalator from the PA but I was always using 85 as the baseline.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I’m more interested to see who the new fair value contract fans cry about is. First nylander, then matthews both worked themselves out of it. The current whipping boy is starting to be marner.
It's funny how a good season (where the team is underperforming as a whole) validates a contract. But last year when he was hot garbage it didn't validate the other argument. Willy fan logic is funny :)

He's had a good year. But he still needs to show a lot more to 'prove' it's a fair contract. lirl.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Who said it was going to fall? You're laughing at an empty room. There was thought it could stall, because of escrow and that still could be a headwind. I always found that fair comment to counter a big rise in the cap.

Escrow? You mean the PA's escalator? That's all they can do to counteract escrow, and it was already down to 0.5% which is just 407k, natural growth is usually in the 2.5 million range so even if they decreased the escalator to 0% to drop that 407k we were always looking at a raise of 2 million or more barring HRR not growing with inflation as you'd expect.

High escrow is more due to the fact more teams are closer to the cap than expected and lots of teams over using LTIR. They can't do anything about that to lower escrow until they discuss a new CBA if they want to change the way they determine the upper limit. Minimum escalator won't impact much as they're almost down that low already.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Great news for our team, particularly if it's near the upper end. $88 mil would give us a ton of flexibility, and ability to address the defense, through whatever is necessary. It's also likely to cause inflation for a lot of contracts this year, and we've got Johnsson/Kapanen?Kerfoot tied up a reasonable deals moving forward, and "if" they are our best trade chips, having them signed as such is going to help us make deals. Players of this level, will probably start signing in the range starting with a four.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Great news for our team, particularly if it's near the upper end. $88 mil would give us a ton of flexibility, and ability to address the defense, through whatever is necessary. It's also likely to cause inflation for a lot of contracts this year, and we've got Johnsson/Kapanen?Kerfoot tied up a reasonable deals moving forward, and "if" they are our best trade chips, having them signed as such is going to help us make deals. Players of this level, will probably start signing in the range starting with a four.

That's a good point.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
It's funny how a good season (where the team is underperforming as a whole) validates a contract. But last year when he was hot garbage it didn't validate the other argument. Willy fan logic is funny :)

He's had a good year. But he still needs to show a lot more to 'prove' it's a fair contract. lirl.
Well let’s be serious, he had back to back 61 point seasons, and a half season of .5 ppg which was less than even his rookie year where he played 22 games. Let’s try not to pretend it’s anything other than he had a bad year and missed training camp.

the funny fans are the glass half empty fans. Everything is negative. Tough way to live your life.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Even the halfway mark of 86 million would be amazing for the Leafs.

Just don't spend it on Barrie Mr. Dubas ;)

I'm not opposed to keeping Barrie, but at the right price, and circumstances. St. Louis is going to have choices to make with their RD, and they don't have much of a LD after this season. "If" they resign Pietrangelo before July 1st, maybe they are open to trading Rielly for Parayko. If so, maybe you resign Barrie at a decent amount, as your PP expert/offensive guy.

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Barrie
Sandin Holl
Rosen Marincin

isn't a bad D core at all.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
RD:
Pietrangelos 9
Faulk 6.5
Parayko - 5.5
Cody ceci: 4.5 lol too much money. Need a 2-3 million guy back there who’s prepared to eat a puck if need be.

the big contracts are fine as long as they produce. It’s the boat anchor 3rd and 4th liners that sink teams in the cap era.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not opposed to keeping Barrie, but at the right price, and circumstances. St. Louis is going to have choices to make with their RD, and they don't have much of a LD after this season. "If" they resign Pietrangelo before July 1st, maybe they are open to trading Rielly for Parayko. If so, maybe you resign Barrie at a decent amount, as your PP expert/offensive guy.

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Barrie
Sandin Holl
Rosen Marincin

isn't a bad D core at all.
I still feel he's the wrong D man for this team, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I don't think Barrie will get anywhere near what was floated at the beginning of the year and I think the trade interest was indicative of his value. That said, if he comes in at a real good number, then I suppose you consider it.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Who said it was going to fall? You're laughing at an empty room.
No, comments have been made about the cap falling around here, especially with the supposed "global pandemic that is going to wipe out the rest of the season/probably humanity". Even for those that don't want to go that far, plenty endlessly screamed about doom and gloom and a stagnating cap after our contracts were signed.
There was thought it could stall, because of escrow and that still could be a headwind.
From the wording of the tweet, sounds like 84 mil is the low end, if the NHLPA chooses a 0% escalator (something they have never done).

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Was he actually hot garbage for all of last year? He had a bad start, and then once he got into gear, performed near the same 61 points pace, that he had before... validating the contract. He had 24 points, the last 34 games last year... after his terrible start, which as others mentioned had much to do with missing camp. The contract was appropriate for his past production, no question there.

I mean, he's really validated his contract for all of this season and half of last too.... he had a terrible start, but anybody could see that would change, it many predicted he'd have a monster year this year.. and he has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad