Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I agree. Although I do think Ceci is going to have to take a pay cut wherever he plays next year. I’d be willing to sign him to a team friendly deal still. Something under 3 mill. Otherwise, good riddance.

He is not worth anything close to that. He is meh on all fronts. Personally I think there will be lots of turnover on our blue line if we are successful in wooing a prized 1st pairing RHD.

Personally would like any of the following provided we aren’t overpaying or bleeding assets:

Pietro
Manson
Dumba
Savard

Tanev-with his injury history might be a bad idea

Hamonic-not a first pairing guy but can be the physicality and stay at home guy to Rielly’s puck moving skills.

Ideal world
Rielly Pietro
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl
Rosen

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
at $84M that leaves us in a place that we can comfortably re-sign the RFA's and ice a solid 4th line but doesn't leave much space beyond that - assuming Dermott & Mikheyev average $2.75Mish AAV, Spexxa & Clifford (or replacements, incl Gauthier) come in at near league minimum. Also assuming that we don't deal any of the Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen ilk, there's space for all of those now.

at $88M we'd have some room to do some things, I don't know if Pietrangelo is in range unless you trade one or more of the Johnsson/Kerfoot/Kapanen's but it certainly presents some options

Reactions: Menzinger

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
No, comments have been made about the cap falling around here, especially with the supposed "global pandemic that is going to wipe out the rest of the season/probably humanity". Even for those that don't want to go that far, plenty endlessly screamed about doom and gloom and a stagnating cap after our contracts were signed.

From the wording of the tweet, sounds like 84 mil is the low end, if the NHLPA chooses a 0% escalator (something they have never done).
I'm avoiding the pandemic thread, I'll stick with the news. I come here for pucks not yuks.

These numbers floated weren't out of the realm, I just thought it was a fair debate if you could count on big cap rises. Bottomline, this is fantastic news for the team I cheer for....

Reactions: ktownhockey

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Very nice.

Ceci off the books, only Dermott and Mikheyev need raises, and Johnsson probably moved for some draft picks. Gives us plenty of room to add a defenseman, even more so if we get rid of Kerfoot as well. I imagine we will take a run at Pietrangelo if he's available, I hope we let Barrie walk, and we can take a shot at a guy like DeMelo for cheap if a big deal falls through.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I would not laugh too hard yet. It was same message last year but the low estimate was $1.5M too high. Why?
It was not the same message last year. It was one number last year, based on a reasonable estimate of what the NHLPA would do with the escalator. They did something different, and the NHL changed how they report the estimates for this year and going forward. That's why we are seeing this in March instead of December, and that's why we have a range, dependent on what the NHLPA does. But the low end based on no escalator is still a significant 2.5m increase.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I still feel he's the wrong D man for this team, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. I don't think Barrie will get anywhere near what was floated at the beginning of the year and I think the trade interest was indicative of his value. That said, if he comes in at a real good number, then I suppose you consider it.

He's the wrong man for this current team, because we have Rielly, and Sandin emerging, who bring the offensive game to the table. Rielly has been great offensively, and on the PP, while not being the best defensively. Barrie is the same... and you don't need that as it stands currently. But if Rielly is gone.. then I think Barrie is the right man for the team.

I mean...

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Weegar/Manson
Sandin Holl
Rosen Liljegren

vs.

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Barrie
Sandin Holl
Rosen Liljegren.

I mean the top group, you are hoping like Hell that Sandin can become instantly great on the PP, and offensively, because really the rest aren't that great offensively, or on the PP.

Yes, with Barrie right now, we have the wrong balance... he isn't the right fit. You move Rielly, and have a bunch of defensive guys, we again have the wrong balance.... and he'd be the right fit.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's the wrong man for this current team, because we have Rielly, and Sandin emerging, who bring the offensive game to the table. Rielly has been great offensively, and on the PP, while not being the best defensively. Barrie is the same... and you don't need that as it stands currently. But if Rielly is gone.. then I think Barrie is the right man for the team.

I mean...

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Weegar/Manson
Sandin Holl
Rosen Liljegren

vs.

Muzzin Parayko
Dermott Barrie
Sandin Holl
Rosen Liljegren.

I mean the top group, you are hoping like Hell that Sandin can become instantly great on the PP, and offensively, because really the rest aren't that great offensively, or on the PP.

Yes, with Barrie right now, we have the wrong balance... he isn't the right fit. You move Rielly, and have a bunch of defensive guys, we again have the wrong balance.... and he'd be the right fit.
I personally feel Sandin is our PP quarterback for the next decade, a perfect fit with a bit more seasoning. And yes, with Reilly, then Barrie becomes redundant and doesn't provide the D acumen we really need.

Reactions: MJK and ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It was not the same message last year. It was one number last year, based on a reasonable estimate of what the NHLPA would do with the escalator. They did something different, and the NHL changed how they report the estimates for this year and going forward. That's why we are seeing this in March instead of December, and that's why we have a range, dependent on what the NHLPA does. But the low end based on no escalator is still a significant 2.5m increase.
We will see in summer .... I hope for Leafs sake it is higher ... but Bettman won't make mistake last year of being the front guy because there are still many issues

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Just remember

If the cap takes a large jump so will salaries

It will make the contracts on our books look better as they age but guys getting UFA contracts are going to get a large boost because of inflation

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm avoiding the pandemic thread, I'll stick with the news. I come here for pucks not yuks.

These numbers floated weren't out of the realm, I just thought it was a fair debate if you could count on big cap rises. Bottomline, this is fantastic news for the team I cheer for....
I'm with you, I don't recall seeing any posts about a falling cap in here.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
Who will the ne r career ending LTI be they pick up? Horton and Clarkson come off this summer as well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I personally feel Sandin is our PP quarterback for the next decade, a perfect fit with a bit more seasoning. And yes, with Reilly, then Barrie becomes redundant and doesn't provide the D acumen we really need.

We need another Muzzin, not another soft puck moving dman than is terrible in his own end. If Dubas does not realize this, there is no hope for him.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It's funny how a good season (where the team is underperforming as a whole) validates a contract. But last year when he was hot garbage it didn't validate the other argument. Willy fan logic is funny :)

He's had a good year. But he still needs to show a lot more to 'prove' it's a fair contract. lirl.
You're not a fan of Willy?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Was he actually hot garbage for all of last year? He had a bad start, and then once he got into gear, performed near the same 61 points pace, that he had before... validating the contract. He had 24 points, the last 34 games last year... after his terrible start, which as others mentioned had much to do with missing camp. The contract was appropriate for his past production, no question there.

I mean, he's really validated his contract for all of this season and half of last too.... he had a terrible start, but anybody could see that would change, it many predicted he'd have a monster year this year.. and he has.
dude, all good..this user gets ripped on within our fb grp for having an unnatural hate for nylander haha. right yubbers?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
The cap is bailing him out, dependent on how the NHLPA deals with the escrow issue moving forward.
You don't have to like Dubas, but give him credit where its due. It was pretty obvious the cap was going up and he clearly had a plan . It has been projected that the cap was going up for a while now, especially with the TV deal coming up for a renewal, new franchise in Seattle coming soon and other revenue streams coming in,of course it was going up. Suggesting that he's getting lucky, is rather ridiculous because it was common sense about where the cap was likely to go.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
You don't have to like Dubas, but give him credit where its due. It was pretty obvious the cap was going up and he clearly had a plan . It has been projected that the cap was going up for a while now, especially with the TV deal coming up for a renewal, new franchise in Seattle coming soon and other revenue streams coming in,of course it was going up. Suggesting that he's getting lucky, is rather ridiculous because it was common sense about where the cap was likely to go.
Agreed. This year was always going to be the "pinch" year in Toronto.

No Ceci next year, move Johnsson/Kerfoot, suddenly we have some cap space for another Muzzin, and to start planning for Rielly's raise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad