Pre-Game Talk: Countdown thread to 24-25 Season (T - 18 days) - Main Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who's going to be the surprise of this camp ?

• Beck

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Kapanen

Votes: 92 53.2%
  • Heineman

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Mesar

Votes: 14 8.1%
  • Engstrom

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • Farrell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trudeau

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • F. Xhekaj

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Tuch

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Hughes

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Davidson

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Kidney

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Struble was the worst defensan in terms of on-ice scoring chance differential (low 40%) even with relatively easy deployment.

People are always blinded by the shiny new toy!
I'd love to see a breakdown of those numbers as a 3rd pairing guy vs a 2nd pairing guy.
We know he struggled when he got bumped and the work load overwhelmed him a bit.
I don't think I've ever relied on analytics alone when there are so many other factors involved.

Reactions: Tyson and BLONG7

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I’m loving the vintage blue numbers on our white practice jersey. Wish we would change back to those permanently instead of having the spacing between the blue number and red border on our current white jerseys.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'd love to see a breakdown of those numbers as a 3rd pairing guy vs a 2nd pairing guy.
We know he struggled when he got bumped and the work load overwhelmed him a bit.
I don't think I've ever relied on analytics alone when there are so many other factors involved.
The thing with analytics, is, when a game starts, there is a puck that can bounce all over the place, and there is an element of luck at times..................so the eye test along with information needs to be used, to make all the right and necessary decisions.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Listening to 690 yesterday they were Laine didn't have great day. Dach they were expecting more. Gallagher and Slaf on overhand looked great.

Sometimes it takes time to get back from injury. Chance may have to tweak our 2nd second line. Confidence issue or something I don't know.

Good to hear about Gallagher. If he's back to 33 goal Gallagher be quite shot in arm to team. They said he looks thinner, stood out. He's had a lot of injuries in past. Affects body after awhile. Hope he's 2014 Gallagher
And I hope to be the 1974 Chester. Regrettably, neither is happening.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
the whole narrative around Mailloux has always been so ridiculously weird. The media is incessantly pumping his tires every chance they get. He's the only one that seems to be immune to any criticism. Last year he looked like the worst player on the ice during rookie camp and beginning of pre-season, yet the media would fall over themselves telling us he's our most NHL ready prospect.
They put a lot of onus on what came out of Cube's mouth. Maybe we should be questioning his take. :dunno:
I haven't seen the consistency and I hated his stretch run when it counted most.
Finally I can't base myself on the one game he did play since I won't for Hutson either.
That he can give an interview in French is important to a certain media outlet but even that needs work too. :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fixed that for you.

Our entire bottom 9 was horrendous last year.:help:
It will be interesting to see if we can become a solid three line team up front with the rearranging of the deck chairs.
I don't think we have the right mix or depth yet to be able to roll four lines effectively.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean, maybe, but we also just don't really know what we don't know.

Also who knows if bag skates and teammates hitting eachother and getting in scrums is even a good thing.
Torterella's team showed up prepared to start the season last year. It damn near made them a playoff team.
Kind of like the starts Therrien used to have but the flame dies towards the end of the season when you need it burning at it's brightest.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Torterella's team showed up prepared to start the season last year. It damn near made them a playoff team.
Kind of like the starts Therrien used to have but the flame dies towards the end of the season when you need it burning at it's brightest.
Sooner or later, the comparative levels of talent exposes the weaker, less talented teams.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Most analytics should always be looked at with context. It's impacted by zone starts and teammates.

Reactions: Rapala

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Is the final scrimmage today or tomorrow? Are they streaming it? I thought they usually did.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Flyers were in great shape last year, and then Torts alienated the team, benched the captain, and the team seem to quit..............I loved when the habs trounced them 9-3 and helped them drop down the playoff ladder last year.
Pretty sure coaches like Torts, are going the way of the past...............it just does not motivate these kids, these days......like it or not.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
Flyers were in great shape last year, and then Torts alienated the team, benched the captain, and the team seem to quit..............I loved when the habs trounced them 9-3 and helped them drop down the playoff ladder last year.
Pretty sure coaches like Torts, are going the way of the past...............it just does not motivate these kids, these days......like it or not.
I love Torts and would want him as a coach but I get what you're saying about the younger generation. Unfortunately, most don't respond to being challenged these days and see it as sign of disrespect. It's sad for me to watch these young players basically come into the league and expect everything to be given to them. Oddly enough, my dad said the same thing about me and my generation when we were all in competitive sports. Back in my day.....:)

The key to coaching now is learning and understanding your player's needs and qualities as a person to help them become the best they can. How to push their buttons, how to motivate, how to get the most out of them. Coaching is very much a psychological experiment these days.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Happened at Flyers camp the other day.
They called it “Bag skate day” but this isn’t a bag skate where entire team skate till they collapse & forced to skate some more, which is banned by CBA… players are expected to get rest + water break between drills which they are getting since it’s a small subset of players skating at a given time

Reactions: Deebs

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
They called it “Bag skate day” but this isn’t a bag skate where entire team skate till they collapse & forced to skate some more, which is banned by CBA… players are expected to get rest + water break between drills which they are getting since it’s a small subset of players skating at a given time

Damn that steak sandwich ad made me hungry!

• Haha
Reactions: salbutera

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Me neither, I mean I watch all the games. Personally I thought Struble struggled a lot after the first 10 games - analytics support that. To make it full time in the show he has to be a beast defensively and I didn’t see it consistently.

As for the breakdown, by pairings him and Savard are by far the worst of the year at 30% expected goals (3rd worse in the league) so yeah definitely didn’t do the job when bumped up….it’s a bit of a red flag to me.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I’m loving the vintage blue numbers on our white practice jersey. Wish we would change back to those permanently instead of having the spacing between the blue number and red border on our current white jerseys.
I've been wanting that forever now. I hate that white space around the numbers on the white jersey...looks awful. Are they going back to the old style even for game jerseys?? Praying!!!

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
They are not the same animals and are certainly not vying for the same chairs.
Mailloux needs minutes PP minutes lots of minutes.
Unless there is an injury/trade on the right side I don't see him getting enough of them in Montreal.
Like it or not Justin Barron's ass is welded into that third pairing chair.

Mailloux's eventual chair is currently being occupied by one David Savard and most people understand that.
Seeing them pair Reinbacher with Matheson is another indication of how management sees things.
I really don't see how you equate Mailloux's situation with that of Lane Hutson? :huh:
We can get Hutson the minutes he needs on a third pairing with additional Ozone starts and PP minutes.
I don't see that same flexibility on that right sde.
Hutson is basically a lock to make the team, (I don’t equate those situation at all) there are already 4 LD Barron isn’t going on waiver. There is one spot and maybe it a situation where everyone is similar at camp, it make more sense to have Struble at 7th vs. Barron or Mailloux, but Mailloux, Struble and Barron at all fighting for that 6/7 spot, Struble isn’t a lock to make the team… I agree that Mailloux should not be 7th D because he need more ice time so Mailloux need to significantly outplay both to stay while Stuble only need not to get outplayed by both but they are still fighting for the same spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad