GDT: prey@note

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I hate how much room we give up sometimes

It's literally a problem of hockey philosophy. The only time you should be surrendering to being purely positional, aka no-man's land, is when you are the last line of defense between 2 opposing players.

Even on a 1 on 1, you should be constantly harassing the puck carrier until the situation becomes a 2 on 1 in or out of your favor.

I really don't understand how professionals don't understand the concept. If you don't close the gap, you're not playing defense. Period. :laugh:

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Team played **** in front of him but Els played his worst game of the season tonight. Let in a couple iffy goals

He also made some big saves. Plus, both goals were just as much on the defense. The first one was a complete breakdown. Can't leave Forsberg wide open in the slot. I didn't think that one was all that soft. The Neal goal I thought he should have had, but the defense on that was terrible too.

RR10*

I wonder why they think it's good to give up that much space. All teams enters our zone without being contested, while we can't get anything going past neutral zone without dumping it in. Figure that.

This strategy will work so well against players like Kane and Toews in the playoffs :sarcasm: Remember Kane's goal on Shatty last year? That's our defense.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Some of you are over reacting big time. We weren't gonna win every single game. Yeah we looked pretty bad and yet we still lost by only 1 against one of the other hottest teams in the league and a great goalie.

It's one game. One. Let's start another streak Tuesday vs. Buffalo.

nobody is over reacting. that was a piss poor effort and there was no excuse for a poor outing like that. this team expects the tarasenko line to bail them out every night and they got outworked for 60 minutes on home ice, that is unacceptable.

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
We won a lot of one goal games you're going to lose one eventually. Had a lot of chances, Rinne was good, nuff said. Don't even have to wait a week to get revenge.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
IMO today problem was we cannot score in couple good changes, but mainly how d-mans and forwards played together. Only Shattenkirk showed how to carry puck to o-zone. We didnt have enough support by forwards. Ofc Preds played nice trap play, but couple pass up the boards we could easily break that. I miss you Sobotka. You were that our 3rd D and you did carry that puck o-zone so easily.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It has to be a coaching decision right? It seems like all of our defensemen do it.

I guess but that doesn't make any sense given the spiel about quick recovery and transitions. Maybe they don't want our boys being hit on the dump and chase?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
nobody is over reacting. that was a piss poor effort and there was no excuse for a poor outing like that. this team expects the tarasenko line to bail them out every night and they got outworked for 60 minutes on home ice, that is unacceptable.

Every single team has clunkers. It happens.

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
Pietrangelo should be given player of the game in favor of the Preds. Im getting really tired of his mistakes.

RR10*

It's literally a problem of hockey philosophy. The only time you should be surrendering to being purely positional, aka no-man's land, is when you are the last line of defense between 2 opposing players.

Even on a 1 on 1, you should be constantly harassing the puck carrier until the situation becomes a 2 on 1 in or out of your favor.

I really don't understand how professionals don't understand the concept. If you don't close the gap, you're not playing defense. Period. :laugh:
This.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I guess but that doesn't make any sense given the spiel about quick recovery and transitions. Maybe they don't want our boys being hit on the dump and chase?
Whatever it is, we've got to change it. I'm with Carvin. I want them to be aggressive and pressure puck carriers. If we pressure and they make a good move to get around the D, so be it. I'm just tired of giving prime chances up.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

I agree, but with one caveat. If your gap is too small you run the risk of getting walked. Gap control is one of the biggest factors that separates those defensemen who go on to the next level (whatever that may be) and those who don't make it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Our team is passive on the PK, only makes sense for them to be the same even strength.

RR10*

Our team is passive on the PK, only makes sense for them to be the same even strength.
“We just have to stay aggressive, that’s the way we play,” defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said. “That’s our penalty kill, it’s all based off of pressure.

:laugh:

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Blues got outplayed.

Pietrangelo made 2 huge mistakes in our own end. It's a recurring theme for him this year.

Berglund - ugh, what's the point..

At this point we have a #1 line, a #2 line that scores as much as a typical #3 line and 2 #4 lines.

Stastny looked better this game but has a ways to go.

Too many turnovers in our own zone. There must be some philosophy on how to leave our zone that is coached. Right before you get to the blue line pass the puck back deeper into our D zone. That way if there's any sort of backside pressure by the opponent or any slight variation of the pass the opposing team gets more time to pressure our D.

Also this backing off forwards by 10-15 ft is getting old. I've seen it all year. The opposing team can have one guy skating the puck down the ice while their team is changing. We'll have 2-3 players in between that one guy and our goalie. All of our players just continue to skate backwards giving up ground.. don't get it.

Berglund on the PP? Might as well be Ott or Reaves.

Tarasenko on the LW?

Some of this falls on Hitch.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Whatever it is, we've got to change it. I'm with Carvin. I want them to be aggressive and pressure puck carriers. If we pressure and they make a good move to get around the D, so be it. I'm just tired of giving prime chances up.

I just want to see the other team's players have to dump it in besides when they're going for a change.

I heard Gordie Howe once talk about how hockey has changed the most, and he said that it was that we are so quick to give teams our blue lines nowadays. I completely agree with him. If the defender gives the opposition an easy entry, half of the battle is already won.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Just left the game. A couple of thoughts:

Steen was flying out there. I thought he played a good game. Everyone else...not so much.

After going down 2-1 it seemed like the team just gave up. They showed zero urgency and weren't aggressive at all. It was incrediblely frustrating.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I just want to see the other team's players have to dump it in besides when they're going for a change.

I heard Gordie Howe once talk about how hockey has changed the most, and he said that it was that we are so quick to give teams our blue lines nowadays. I completely agree with him. If the defender gives the opposition an easy entry, half of the battle is already won.

Couldn't agree more. It's amazing how many times I've seen a team regain possession because they pressure a guy and he coughs the puck up.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
And just to top off the end of the game (given with 6 seconds left on last faceoff it's pretty much over)

Shatty gets the puck, his first instinct is to shoot the puck. There was 8 people (I counted) in between him and the goalie,,, 8 people... then the goalie.

Pie was open. He wasn't just open, there wasn't anyone within 20 feet of him.

RR10*

I wrote on the offseason that I'd rather see Sobotka on our team and that we trade Berglund, and not many would agree with me. Sobotka is a much better fit and cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad