GDT: prey@note

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I wrote on the offseason that I'd rather see Sobotka on our team and that we trade Berglund, and not many would agree with me. Sobotka is a much better fit and cheaper.

we kept berglund and stewart over perron

:shakehead

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I wrote on the offseason that I'd rather see Sobotka on our team and that we trade Berglund, and not many would agree with me. Sobotka is a much better fit and cheaper.

Yeah Sobotka and his career high of 9 goals would really be lighting it up down there on that 3rd line

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I agree, but with one caveat. If your gap is too small you run the risk of getting walked. Gap control is one of the biggest factors that separates those defensemen who go on to the next level (whatever that may be) and those who don't make it.

Absolutely. But we have Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, and Shattenkirk...3 above average skaters that don't commit to closing the gap, yet have the ability to do so AND get back to the corner for a 50/50 puck. Pietrangelo is the worst of the 3 because we used to see him commit especially well at the half wall or so.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm done with Berglund to be honest. He's no longer the puck possession he used to be, now he gets knocked off so easily. He can't finish chances that are gifted to him and he doesn't create any opportunities on his own. I never understood why people said he looked good this year, he's been sub par in my eyes. His defensive game gets overrated cause we're trying to rationalize his terrible contract. He's not putting up points and the only goal he has this season went off his butt. I don't see how anyone can defend him at this point. I'm literally done with him.

RR10*

Yeah Sobotka and his career high of 9 goals would really be lighting it up down there on that 3rd line
He brings so much more to the game than goals. A third liner isn't supposed to put up points on daily basis. But I suppose that you are happy with Berglunds 1 goal. He's on a pace to score 6 goals.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I'm done with Berglund to be honest. He's no longer the puck possession he used to be, now he gets knocked off so easily. He can't finish chances that are gifted to him and he doesn't create any opportunities on his own. I never understood why people said he looked good this year, he's been sub par in my eyes. His defensive game gets overrated cause we're trying to rationalize his terrible contract. He's not putting up points and the only goal he has this season went off his butt. I don't see how anyone can defend him at this point. I'm literally done with him.

He's this generation's Jackman. Oh, how funny it'd be if he ended up a life long Blue as well. :laugh:

RR10*

Agree. He's so slow. If he atleast was a bit creative and/or a good possesion guy, but he isn't any of that. He's just a big body skating slow doing nothing.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
He brings so much more to the game than goals. A third liner isn't supposed to put up points on daily basis. But I suppose that you are happy with Berglunds 1 goal. He's on a pace to score 6 goals.

Yeah, Sobotka does bring things other than scoring. So does Berglund. Sorry you are apparently blind to that fact.

And are we gonna make pace arguements 20% into the season? I suppose we can talk about Tarasenko's incoming 50 goals, Reaves's 12 goals, Oshie's 0 goals, Stastny's 6 goals. Do those predictions all check out?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Sobotka made the wrong (emotional) decision to go to the KHL. When he comes back to the NHL he's still Blues' property.

But,,, it's hard to knock him.

The Blues obviously look at Berglund the same as some on here, as well as a good friend of mine, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential,....

This is his 6th year. He is who he is.

The Blues made the decision that out of Berglund, Sobotka and Ott, Berglund was their top choice. They probably figured they could then sign Sobotka as the 4th line center and let Ott walk.

Sobotka brings way more skill, heart and assets like PK and Faceoffs to any team in the NHL than Berglund.

I don't get how so many people see this and the Blues don't, or at least didn't.

Now with Bergy making 3.7 mil how in the world can you trade him? Maybe Toronto with their organizational wisdom can give a #1 draft pick for him.

RR10*

Yeah, Sobotka does bring things other than scoring. So does Berglund. Sorry you are apparently blind to that fact.

And are we gonna make pace arguements 20% into the season? I suppose we can talk about Tarasenko's incoming 50 goals, Reaves's 12 goals, Oshie's 0 goals, Stastny's 6 goals. Do those predictions all check out?
Sobotka brings speed, grittiness, hustle, physicality, possesion, good faceoff guy, great PKer, can put up points. Berglund doesn't bring any of this and he is pretty much overrated defensively.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Sobotka is better at faceoffs, better on the cycle, better at puck possession, more physical, and is a better playmaker.

Berglund is bigger, has a better shot, and is more durable.

The durability factor doesn't really go in Berglund's favor though since him being in the lineup or not doesn't really impact the game.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Sobotka made the wrong (emotional) decision to go to the KHL. When he comes back to the NHL he's still Blues' property.

But,,, it's hard to knock him.

The Blues obviously look at Berglund the same as some on here, as well as a good friend of mine, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential, potential,....

This is his 6th year. He is who he is.

The Blues made the decision that out of Berglund, Sobotka and Ott, Berglund was their top choice. They probably figured they could then sign Sobotka as the 4th line center and let Ott walk.

Sobotka brings way more skill, heart and assets like PK and Faceoffs to any team in the NHL than Berglund.

I don't get how so many people see this and the Blues don't, or at least didn't.

Now with Bergy making 3.7 mil how in the world can you trade him? Maybe Toronto with their organizational wisdom can give a #1 draft pick for him.
We didn't choose Berglund over Sobotka. Army was working on both of them at the same time. Berglund decided to sign, and Sobotka decided to throw a hissy fit and leave.

RR10*

We didn't choose Berglund over Sobotka. Army was working on both of them at the same time. Berglund decided to sign, and Sobotka decided to throw a hissy fit and leave.
Guess why? Because they gave the Berglund opportunity to play on the third line while having Sobotka on the 4th being underpaid. Why would he? He would've stayed If they paid him around 3-3,5 mill and they could've got a first round pick for Berglund & MPS. Thats my opinion.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Sobotka brings speed, grittiness, hustle, physicality, possesion, good faceoff guy, great PKer, can put up points. Berglund doesn't bring any of this and he is pretty much overrated defensively.

I like Sobotka just as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is JamieG), but like Vladys said we didn't choose Berglund over him like you insinuated and I think you are underrating aspects of Berglund's game. For example, he brings physicality and hustle too, and is very sound positionally. We have seen him been an offensive threat in the past, but there is no denying he is slumping right now.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Guess why? Because they gave the Berglund opportunity to play on the third line while having Sobotka on the 4th being underpaid. Why would he?

No, Sobotka threw a hissy fit that they didn't give him exactly what he wanted. Berglund signed well before all that went down. Sobotka should have known damn good and well that Hitch would have found ice time for him. If Steve Ott is averaging almost 14 minutes a game, then Hitch could easily have found Sobotka ice time.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
You know you else would have been a great center signing? Sergei Fedorov. He's fast, has a heavy shot, great vision, and can play both sides of the puck with the best of them...

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Like others have said, Sobotka deserves more money and a 3rd line C job over Berglund.

You can call it a hissy fit etc... but when you constantly outplay your competition in all aspects of the game and your "boss" rewards the other guy, it's hard to fault Soby for being upset.

It is what it is at this point. But your argument that Army was working on both contracts at the same time doesn't mean too much. He was still willing (and did) reward Berglund more ice time (by being 3rd line C) and more dollars over someone who clearly and I do mean clearly outperformed Berglund.

RR10*

No, Sobotka threw a hissy fit that they didn't give him exactly what he wanted. Berglund signed well before all that went down. Sobotka should have known damn good and well that Hitch would have found ice time for him. If Steve Ott is averaging almost 14 minutes a game, then Hitch could easily have found Sobotka ice time.
They didn't but they should have. I will repeat this once again, we give Berglund & Ott $6,3 mill for doing nothing. We could've paid Sobotka something like $3,2 mill, trade Berglund & MPS and pick up another top 6er. Or atleast get a first rounder and save some money. Porter could've done Ott's job even better. He's not really needed on this team.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
we give Berglund & Ott $6,3 mill for doing nothing. We could've paid Sobotka something like $3,2 mill, trade Berglund & MPS and pick up another top 6er. Or atleast get a first rounder and save some money. Porter could've done Ott's job even better. He's not really needed on this team.

Bingo

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Like others have said, Sobotka deserves more money and a 3rd line C job over Berglund.

You can call it a hissy fit etc... but when you constantly outplay your competition in all aspects of the game and your "boss" rewards the other guy, it's hard to fault Soby for being upset.

It is what it is at this point. But your argument that Army was working on both contracts at the same time doesn't mean too much. He was still willing (and did) reward Berglund more ice time (by being 3rd line C) and more dollars over someone who clearly and I do mean clearly outperformed Berglund.
No he didn't. Berglund was vastly more proven as a third line center and had a longer track record of success. Look, I get that people really liked Sobotka around here but the overrating of him is getting ridiculous.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
They didn't but they should have. I will repeat this once again, we give Berglund & Ott $6,3 mill for doing nothing. We could've paid Sobotka something like $3,2 mill, trade Berglund & MPS and pick up another top 6er. Or atleast get a first rounder and save some money. Porter could've done Ott's job even better. He's not really needed on this team.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time i've seen you bring this point up. Let me ask you this: If you were a team looking to trade a top 6er, would you trade them for Berglund and Paajarvi? It's not as easy as you are making it sound

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I am still in awe that the Blues signed Berglund to what they did.

He really just doesn't bring a whole lot to this team. Once every few weeks he will have a few good shifts. That's pretty much it.

RR10*

Schwartz - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Vrbata
Sobotka - Backes - Oshie
Porter - Lapierre - Reaves

Wouldn't something like this be much better than Berglund and freaking Ott?

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
This is the 2nd or 3rd time i've seen you bring this point up. Let me ask you this: If you were a team looking to trade a top 6er, would you trade them for Berglund and Paajarvi? It's not as easy as you are making it sound

Flawed logic. What if he's stupid, like Edmonton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad