Preferred Outcome for the Pens Pick

Of the two outcomes, which Pens-dependent outcome do you prefer?

• Sharks draft between 11-15 with the Pens 2024 1st round pick

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • Sharks roll into 2025 with the Pens unprotected pick.

Votes: 63 53.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
We have lottery tickets who might turn into one. Musty is a lottery ticket - maybe he's a lottery ticket that we can guarantee has at least one matching number, as opposed to zero, but that's the most generous we can be at this stage.
While I agree, in terms of practical planning, sometimes you have to pencil some players into the future lineup.

What would fans think about moving this first-rounder for Martin Necas?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I disagree about not drafting for a positional need at least this year. 1st overall is pretty set it's Macklin Celebrini, but the top 10 otherwise so wide open, you go for a need (defence). Of course Sharks need depth in every category, but if you have a chance to draft a position that you don't have any depth and it's close ranking wise, you go for it.

EDIT: Also, I don't want it to sound like it's absolute truth but I'm more of a balanced approach first type of fan towards drafting. When you have at least 2 prospects with potential in every position C, LW, RW, LD, RD, it's easier to see go forward from that.

Last edited:

Grinner

May 31, 2022
While I agree, in terms of practical planning, sometimes you have to pencil some players into the future lineup.

What would fans think about moving this first-rounder for Martin Necas?
I wouldn't be opposed if he's willing to sign a long term extension

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I disagree about not drafting for a positional need at least this year. 1st overall is pretty set it's Macklin Celebrini, but the top 10 otherwise so wide open, you go for a need (defence). Of course Sharks need depth in every category, but if you have a chance to draft a position that you don't have any depth and it's close ranking wise, you go for it.

EDIT: Also, I don't want it to sound like it's absolute truth but I'm more of a balanced approach first type of fan towards drafting. When you have at least 2 prospects with potential in every position C, LW, RW, LD, RD, it's easier to see go forward from that.
I think when you go for a positional need over BPA (and not just at the draft), you need to have high confidence that the player you are targeting will be the answer to the future.

Let's take a thought experiment. Say that BUF offers Byram to the Sharks for future considerations. Suppose these things are true:

1) The Sharks believe Byram is a future Norris-caliber defenseman
2) Byram's injuries are more severe than the Sharks realize; he's really a second-pairing guy
3) It will take 2-3 years for the Sharks to realize this

In some ways, it's still a great trade: you get a young second-pairing dman for free! But the real harm is that for 2-3 years, the Sharks will likely not spend any assets or capital acquiring a future superstar defenseman, because they believe they already have one.

• Wow

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think when you go for a positional need over BPA (and not just at the draft), you need to have high confidence that the player you are targeting will be the answer to the future.

Let's take a thought experiment. Say that BUF offers Byram to the Sharks for future considerations. Suppose these things are true:

1) The Sharks believe Byram is a future Norris-caliber defenseman
2) Byram's injuries are more severe than the Sharks realize; he's really a second-pairing guy
3) It will take 2-3 years for the Sharks to realize this

In some ways, it's still a great trade: you get a young second-pairing dman for free! But the real harm is that for 2-3 years, the Sharks will likely not spend any assets or capital acquiring a future superstar defenseman, because they believe they already have one.
In real life this isn’t true unless the cap space used on the player limits you from making such a move. We had a Norris defenseman and still went and got Karlsson so while it may not be the age group, it’s the same sort of thought process.

• Wow

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
IMG_7068.jpeg

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
How far could we trade up using the Pittsburg pick and the Two seconds and if it gets us into the top 8 would you do it?

Depends on how late the PIT's pick is. If it's too low and the prospects likely available for that pick isn't great, I would do it to trade up and get someone of quality. I know we still have a lot of holes, but I would rather have 1 good player than 3 average players.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I have the Red Wings jersey on tonight. Along with a Caps cap and a Flyers boxer. A pair of Kraken slippers doesn't hurt. Lots of things need to go the right way. In a day of being a Sharks fan.
I hope you've got this guy around, too! They can't afford to not win tonight.

58EC089C-E758-41DF-B5AD-DC56EE6D35BF_1_105_c-e1670567786901.jpeg

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Both WSH and DET are losing and PIT winning. After today, PIT would claim the last playoff spot and they'll be controlling their own destiny. WSH, DET, and PHI will be ranking below PIT so it won't matter what they do if PIT keeps winning.

Our (PIT) pick is much less interesting. There won't be anyone worth clamoring for that low.

• Wow

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The best the Penguins can do is reach #14 in the league (maybe #15, not sure about tiebreakers). If they flop out in the first two rounds, that would give us pick #19.

A quick glance says the worst the Penguins can finish is #22 (I think). I would have to check to see who plays whom over the next week to see whether there are any impossible scenarios where someone can't actually pass Pittsburgh because. That gives us pick #11, but is pretty unlikely.

Assuming they don't go deep in the playoffs, I think we pick around #19.

• Wow

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The best the Penguins can do is reach #14 in the league (maybe #15, not sure about tiebreakers). If they flop out in the first two rounds, that would give us pick #19.

A quick glance says the worst the Penguins can finish is #22 (I think). I would have to check to see who plays whom over the next week to see whether there are any impossible scenarios where someone can't actually pass Pittsburgh because. That gives us pick #11, but is pretty unlikely.

Only ones that can catch them are the kraken, devils, wild, sabres. Wild are 1 point back, the other 3 are at 79 points (5 points back) before i believe the standings were updated from tonight.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012

If the Penguins lose in the first two rounds they’d actually give us pick 17 since they’d have the least amount of points among all playoff teams. That being said they do have a really tough last 3 games and if they lose at all they will not control their destiny anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad