Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
It's also about Divisions. Caps and Isles saw Pens as contenders and built their teams to counter them, to some extent. Pens have not countered the counter. They did some half-assed attempt to Get Big to face the Caps, but nothing to address the Isles. The Isles also play a goddamn annoying, suffocating style of all-team defense which requires less a counter in players as much as systems.

Pens still are a nightmare matchup for a lot of other teams out there. If they'd ever get to that point.

We are 4 and 13 in 4 years of Playoffs... who's nighmare exactly?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
How sad it is that I completely agree with the assessment that Zucker has been one of the better wings in this series so far.

And I mean make no mistake he's absolutely terrible with the puck aside from like a random pretty goal every ~15-20 games.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I still want Kassian. He had a shit year and Edmonton is desperate.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Way too much emphasis placed on goalie coaches by fans and media. Goalie coaches at the NHL level are offering detailed tweaks to benefit a goalies body type / playing style. Some of them double as psychologist and these guys get attached to coaches as a result. Most of the time they are looking for ways to keep things these guys have been practicing since they were 14 - fresh.

Jarry getting beat glove hand, or whatever he pulled on that OT goal tonight - is not goalie coaching. That’s Jarry’s inability to stop pucks glove hand and poor decisions.

In other words, no goalie coach can fix Jarry’s issues. Jarry has to fix Jarry’s issues.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd rather pay Hyman or Coleman $6 million in FA than to trade for Kassian and pay him $3.2 million.

Though I do wonder what we could snag from Edmonton prospects-wise for Petts.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Way too much emphasis placed on goalie coaches by fans and media. Goalie coaches at the NHL level are offering detailed tweaks to benefit a goalies body type / playing style. Some of them double as psychologist and these guys get attached to coaches as a result. Most of the time they are looking for ways to keep things these guys have been practicing since they were 14 - fresh.

Jarry getting beat glove hand, or whatever he pulled on that OT goal tonight - is not goalie coaching. That’s Jarry’s inability to stop pucks glove hand and poor decisions.

In other words, no goalie coach can fix Jarry’s issues. Jarry has to fix Jarry’s issues.
Goalie coaches are important. The issue for me is sticking with one for too long doesn't work. Fire the goalie coach? Yeah sure, agree.

But saying one isn't needed to fix the goalie? That's wrong. This team also needs a new head coach as well as assistants that can help push this team forward not backward.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How sad it is that I completely agree with the assessment that Zucker has been one of the better wings in this series so far.

And I mean make no mistake he's absolutely terrible with the puck aside from like a random pretty goal every ~15-20 games.

Zucker has basically been a faster version of 2017 Kunitz for the Penguins in the playoffs this year. It's not worth what they paid for him, but he's at least working hard and throwing his weight around in this series.

Houston Penguin

Texas Pen
Mar 17, 2007
LA & GA to TX
We need two wingers in my opinion ... Two guys who can forecheck and allow Crosby and Malkin to be second guys in instead of first.

Hyman is a great example, but I have no idea why he would leave Toronto and his personal situation for Pittsburgh right now.

Checker - Passer - Finisher

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think a few minor changes need to happen.

Number one, fire Sullivan. Thanks for the two Stanley Cups. Hire Gallant. I fear Hextall will try to go the college route again like he did in Philadelphia. Number two, fire the rest of the coaching staff. Our PP sucks and I don't want Reirden to be head coach. Hire the best candidate or continue to suffer against well-coached teams.

We're most likely stuck with Jarry so get a good goaltending coach and maybe a suitable veteran backup. DeSmith has been very good but I'd like them to get a good veteran backup incase Jarry struggles. Trade Zucker and Pettersson. Trade Rust. Realistically, I'm not sure what the asking price is or should be on any of those guys, but I assume Rust is our biggest asset right now. It opens a hole on the first line, but it's a necessary move in a slight rebuild. Let go of guys like Aston-Reese, they add nothing in the playoffs.

Reactions: Rave7215

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
We need two wingers in my opinion ... Two guys who can forecheck and allow Crosby and Malkin to be second guys in instead of first.

Hyman is a great example, but I have no idea why he would leave Toronto and his personal situation for Pittsburgh right now.

Checker - Passer - Finisher

We don't need two tho, if you get a new coach who isnt afraid of break-in up Bart.

Jake - Sid - Tanev - checks each box
Hyman - Geno - Kap - Checks each box
McCann - Carter - Rust
Zar - TB - xxx

Move Zucker sign Hyman. Fill in the rest with Zorhona, Erod, Gaudreau, Doc, Poulin, Legare

Reactions: Houston Penguin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Unless the Pens squeak this out and go on a run, I think the playoffs are solidifying that out of GCR, Rust is probably the most replaceable.

Jake, even with injuries, is putting up nearly a PPG. Rust, at his best, is a 20G/40 point guy. Sell high on Rust, promote Kap or get another RW.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I know I am going to get shit for this but I think a big problem is that we are not creative enough with the puck. We make creative passes and even tend to over pass the puck, but I am talking about with the puck on the stick in high scoring chance areas of the ice. We do a lot of plain wrist shots that are basically telegraphed. No one dekes the goalie much. I think it is a problem more in the playoffs. We definitely have the ability. Jake sliding pucks five hole and Kapanen shot fake five hole goals come to mind.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know I am going to get shit for this but I think a big problem is that we are not creative enough with the puck. We make creative passes and even tend to over pass the puck, but I am talking about with the puck on the stick in high scoring chance areas of the ice. We do a lot of plain wrist shots that are basically telegraphed. No one dekes the goalie much. I think it is a problem more in the playoffs. We definitely have the ability. Jake sliding pucks five hole and Kapanen shot fake five hole goals come to mind.

yep, no one can fake out the goalie or get him to move early...Geno is about the only one...

Reactions: dogthateats
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Would agree that Rust is the most tradeable asset. He tried like 3 times to go wide on a defenseman last night and got nowhere. That used to work against lower pair guys, but it hasn't worked against top pair defensemen. Maybe he just needs a demotion in the lineup to get some better matchups, or maybe he's peaked.

I hate to be a size queen, but there are too many forwards content with scoring on the rush and from the perimeter (Rust McCann Kap), we need a player or 2 like Hornqvist who can win a battle in the dirty areas. Guentzel is at least trying but he's getting man handled. You can see in his body language how defeated he is about it too. He's had some strong chances otherwise, but can't seem to bury this series.

McCann and Carter have some chemistry, and I'd keep them together. I think they both were guilty of forcing passes to each other last night, when i felt a shot would have been the better option.

IDK what to make of Zucker. He can wheel, and he can get to the right places, but it never amounts to anything. He had a few cringy passes last night, as did Kap.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad