Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Would agree that Rust is the most tradeable asset. He tried like 3 times to go wide on a defenseman last night and got nowhere. That used to work against lower pair guys, but it hasn't worked against top pair defensemen. Maybe he just needs a demotion in the lineup to get some better matchups, or maybe he's peaked.

i think this is 100 percent an option Sullivan should have considered awhile ago.

Half of rust goals are individual efforts you’d get from any line. That’s why he is so valuable. If the pens could demote kessel to line three. You sure as hell can with rust.

Jake - Sid - Erod (for familiarity of gaudreau)
Zucker - Geno - kap
McCann - carter - rust
Bart.

that’s barely messing with the lineup but I bet line 3 would improve a ton. I also think line 1 would improve

Reactions: The Old Master

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The worst thing to happens to this team was the McCann - Carter - Gaudreau line putting up like 8 goals against Buffalo.

Sullivan got a big head about it and now refuses to break it up like BART

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm morbidly excited to see what kind of moves Hextall/Burke will make this off-season to put their stamp on the team.

I'll be disappointed if we return almost the exact same roster, minus maybe swapping out E-Rod and bringing in Deslauriers.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'm morbidly excited to see what kind of moves Hextall/Burke will make this off-season to put their stamp on the team.

I'll be disappointed if we return almost the exact same roster, minus maybe swapping out E-Rod and bringing in Deslauriers.

Yes I am as well, they seem to understand what we need to do, and are not married to any of these clunker deals like Zucker, Petts extension, etc. They could even trade Marino if they found the right deal, something JR would never consider.

As Kirk said and I agree with, we can still draw an inside straight here next year, though it will take a heck of a lot of good luck and some lucky/good trades. That Carter deal was a very good start.

A buyout of Zucker really isn't as expensive as I thought, and saves us 4.3m next year. I just don't see how you get rid of him otherwise, and he's the opposite of a Brian Burke guy. I don't hate his game lately, I've been happy with it, but he's just way too expensive for what he does, and his actual salary bumps up to 6.25m next year.

And I imagine they are watching Rust's game right now, and BB is not amused.

Though Jarry screwed up royally last game, I would not dump him. The Pens just invested a lot in the Jarry maturation process last night. I'd hate for some other team to take advantage of that on the cheap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes I am as well, they seem to understand what we need to do, and are not married to any of these clunker deals like Zucker, Petts extension, etc. They could even trade Marino if they found the right deal, something JR would never consider.

As Kirk said and I agree with, we can still draw an inside straight here next year, though it will take a heck of a lot of good luck and some lucky/good trades. That Carter deal was a very good start.

A buyout of Zucker really isn't as expensive as I thought, and saves us 4.3m next year. I just don't see how you get rid of him otherwise, and he's the opposite of a Brian Burke guy. I don't hate his game lately, I've been happy with it, but he's just way too expensive for what he does, and his actual salary bumps up to 6.25m next year.

Though Jarry screwed up royally last game, I would not dump him. The Pens just invested a lot in the Jarry maturation process last night. I'd hate for some other team to take advantage of that on the cheap.

How is Zucker the "opposite of a Brian Burke" guy? I don't see that at all. Zucker at this point is basically late era Kunitz for the Penguins. His hands and scoring touch are gone, but he still has decent speed and throws a bunch of hits.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Burke in his book lays out his first move for any new organization is to make a big move within a year to get the market excited. Hartford - Pronger. Vancouver - Sedins. Anaheim - Neids / Pronger. Toronto - Kessel. Calgary - Hamilton.

Curious what he does here. I still keep coming back to something around Tkachuk.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I still think the smart move is to move Rust. Still expose Tanev and Zucker and hope Zucker bounces back if Seattle doesn’t take him. Especially with a new coach.

He almost certainly will bounce back the minute he gets to Seattle

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I have no idea why he isn’t on our top powerplay. He is great at everything Jake sucks at on there.

How many times does the puck go behind the net and die?

Oh our powerplay is terrible. I say that knowing full well they were like top 5 in % this season.

Predicatble and it's schemed for the only "weapon" to be Malkin's one timer. Nobody else is really a threat to score unless they get a lucky bounce/tip through traffic.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Burke in his book lays out his first move for any new organization is to make a big move within a year to get the market excited. Hartford - Pronger. Vancouver - Sedins. Anaheim - Neids / Pronger. Toronto - Kessel. Calgary - Hamilton.

Curious what he does here. I still keep coming back to something around Tkachuk.
Mathew? That would take josh or Brian plus more to trade for him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh our powerplay is terrible. I say that knowing full well they were like top 5 in % this season.

Predicatble and it's schemed for the only "weapon" to be Malkin's one timer. Nobody else is really a threat to score unless they get a lucky bounce/tip through traffic.

It’s weird how everything on this team sucks and we were able to finish 1st in the toughest division.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars

I'd be down for that.

I still think the smart move is to move Rust. Still expose Tanev and Zucker and hope Zucker bounces back if Seattle doesn’t take him. Especially with a new coach.

I’m seeing Tanner Pearson all over again with Sully’s usage of Zucker. It’s like he is purposefully setting him up to fail.
If we could get a good prospect and a 1st (I'm assuming the later half of the draft), I'm good with that. I would use ZAR as an add-in if he prices himself out too. At least JR didn't give Rust some type of M-NTC so we don't have that huddle.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The worst thing to happens to this team was the McCann - Carter - Gaudreau line putting up like 8 goals against Buffalo.

Sullivan got a big head about it and now refuses to break it up like BART

IMO the worst thing was Malkin being out so long that GCR got locked in permanently. They haven't been good since March and Sully had the excuse that he had to keep the one scoring line together.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013

Zucker is 100% tradeable, even in the current market and is likely to be taken by Seattle anyway. You don't have to buyout every player that doesn't meet expectations.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
IMO the worst thing was Malkin being out so long that GCR got locked in permanently. They haven't been good since March and Sully had the excuse that he had to keep the one scoring line together.

sully would have keep them together even if they didn’t make playoffs. They’d be hanging in a beer league so he could keep the line in tact

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
i think this is 100 percent an option Sullivan should have considered awhile ago.

Half of rust goals are individual efforts you’d get from any line. That’s why he is so valuable. If the pens could demote kessel to line three. You sure as hell can with rust.

Jake - Sid - Erod (for familiarity of gaudreau)
Zucker - Geno - kap
McCann - carter - rust
Bart.

that’s barely messing with the lineup but I bet line 3 would improve a ton. I also think line 1 would improve

Not to rain on your parade but the 1st line needs more jam and forecheck...putting our softest wings with Crosby is a terrible idea.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be down to trade anyone. I don't think this thing can be fixed in time for the core to still have gas in the tank. If we decide we're done with Rust, which I'm perfectly fine with, I'd be open to move Jake too. Both of those guys have sucked shit when it matters most for years. Throw McCann in there too. Zucker and Petts are guys that needed to go regardless of how this season ended. ZAR and E-Rod probably price themselves out of town.

And at that point, why bother keeping Sid, Geno or Letang?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Jesus memories are so short around here :laugh:

Trading Guentzel?! Good lord. I'm sure you guys are trading Malkin and Letang too.

Reactions: Khelandros

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Why wouldn't you be interested in trading Jake? He's been a no-show for 3 playoff runs in a row, and the reason is he either simply can't hack it anymore or his shoulder is still (and always will be) f***ed up.

Window's closed. Even if we made it by the Isles, we get smoked by the Bruins. And the Bruins aren't even in the NHL's upper echelon. The East and North are both divisions full of flawed teams with pretty much no chance at the Cup.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It sucks that we kept bozo the coach after the Habs series fiasco. Are all of these guys struggling or is it just the system?

It seems like there are too many guys struggling to not pin it on the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad