Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I, err, hmm, I dunno. Like... probably not? But he is a unicorn in terms of what he can do and has mostly been worth the money this year...

If Seattle were dumb enough to take Matheson off our hands for nothing this year, that is anything but a bad thing. We couldn't trade that contract for positive value right now if we tried.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I really wish the team moves on from Malkin and Letang after their contract runs out after next season.
Malkin just is never healthy and I feel his play has declined in the last couple of seasons. He'll be 36 going on 37 and the contract demands will be ugly imo.
And well, Letang will be 35 going on 36 and as soon as his body starts to break down it will be a disaster and his contract demands will be ugly too.
I hope those 17 million could be put to better use....
Sure, if they're willing to do a Spezza I'm all for it....
I’m in the camp that Letang may be better with a bit taken from his physical tools. Would force him to use his noggin more which could be huge. No one knows, just my two cents.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Trading Guentzel would be a bad idea because Guentzel has historically been a great playoff player. He's probably just hurt right now and he's cost controlled for a long time.

But Rust? Ship him the hell out of here. Pending UFA after next year that will want a big extension and hasn't shown up in the playoffs since 2017? Yeah, screw that. Sell high on him.

Maybe work a deal out with Seattle if they've got interest in Rust.

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I’m in the camp that Letang may be better with a bit taken from his physical tools. Would force him to use his noggin more which could be huge. No one knows, just my two cents.
Letang is so incredibly stupid, forcing him to use his “noggin” would be horrific. The “thinking” part of Letangs game is one of the worst aspects of him as a player.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hextall I hope has the free hand to retool the roster and Mario and Ronnie grasp what is obvious. Team is to small and one dimensional to win vs bigger stronger teams in the playoffs. Make the changes no matter who or what they are and not continue the GMJR tinkering to limited moves to fit Sully's wants. Sully may need to go as I find it hard to think he would go for what this team needs. Burke and Hextall know what is needed and this off season will finally see the shift to what should have been done and insisted on by GMJR when he brought in Reaves and Cole.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Hextall I hope has the free hand to retool the roster and Mario and Ronnie grasp what is obvious. Team is to small and one dimensional to win vs bigger stronger teams in the playoffs. Make the changes no matter who or what they are and not continue the GMJR tinkering to limited moves to fit Sully's wants. Sully may need to go as I find it hard to think he would go for what this team needs. Burke and Hextall know what is needed and this off season will finally see the shift to what should have been done and insisted on by GMJR when he brought in Reaves and Cole.

why did Boston just kill the Caps if big tough teams win?

also when did Ian Cole become this unicorn?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Again, Caps are banged up. Everyone knows this. That doesn't prove anything. Even IF you so desperately want it to.

Reactions: Pens x

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Ovechkin-Malkin would be pretty hilarious. Of course we wont be able to afford him and it would be a 1 year deal. Let him set up shop on the PP.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ovechkin-Malkin would be pretty hilarious. Of course we wont be able to afford him and it would be a 1 year deal. Let him set up shop on the PP.
Nope can’t break up the first unit. Ovechkin would have to make do on the second one.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Letang's always been a guy who thrives on instinct and athleticism. He's not a cerebral, slow the game down kind of guy.

When his physical tools start to wear down, he's gonna be a shitshow. But, I don't think he's gonna break down nearly as soon as Geno is. Letang is a physical freak and absolute fitness psycho.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Give Ceci Pettersson’s cap (2.5 for Ceci). Give Bluegar Zucker’s cap (2.75 for TB). Boom. Great offseason right there.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Poulin/DOC-Geno-Kap
McCann-Carter-GOAT/ERod/Legare
ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev
Dumo-Tang
Matheson-Ceci
POJ-Marino

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

But Boston's not exactly small, either. They're about 3 lbs smaller than the Caps on the average, about the same height. We're about 5 lbs lighter than the Bruins, nearly 10 lighter than the Caps.

I mean, all of this isn't terribly relevant for anything, I just thought I'd mention it. :laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Give Ceci Pettersson’s cap (2.5 for Ceci). Give Bluegar Zucker’s cap (2.75 for TB). Boom. Great offseason right there.

Jake-Sid-Rust
Poulin/DOC-Geno-Kap
McCann-Carter-GOAT/ERod/Legare
ZAR-Bluegar-Tanev
Dumo-Tang
Matheson-Ceci
POJ-Marino
Lol at DOC or Poulin in the top six.

Reactions: BrookswasHere44

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
But Boston's not exactly small, either. They're about 3 lbs smaller than the Caps on the average, about the same height. We're about 5 lbs lighter than the Bruins, nearly 10 lighter than the Caps.

I mean, all of this isn't terribly relevant for anything, I just thought I'd mention it. :laugh:

As if any source you are using is actually accurate.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
The Pens are going to have tough decisions to make after next season. I have a hard time believing that both Malkin and Letang would be brought back. Maybe one or the other, but unless they both take VERY cheap deals, I don't see it being viable. I think this year and next are the last hurrahs for this core before the inevitable rebuild begins, or at least a serious re-tooling that involves one or more core players leaving.

That being said, I think Malkin is likely to have a shorter shelf life than Letang. Everyone always says "when Letang's body gives out, it's going to be ugly," but the fact of the matter is that's already happening to Malkin. I would be shocked if he ever plays a 70+ game season again. He has clearly lost more than a step. Even after he "got it together" earlier in the season, he wasn't even really close to a point per game. He's well into the back nine of his career and I don't know if it would be wise for the Penguins to keep him around for another contract unless he's willing to sign for well under market value and play a diminished role.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
It doesn't matter if you are 5-10, 175 lbs or 6-4, 215....a unwillingness to play in the hard parts of the ice during the playoffs is a problem. Perimeter play sank us with Montreal last year too.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
The Pens are going to have tough decisions to make after next season. I have a hard time believing that both Malkin and Letang would be brought back. Maybe one or the other, but unless they both take VERY cheap deals, I don't see it being viable. I think this year and next are the last hurrahs for this core before the inevitable rebuild begins, or at least a serious re-tooling that involves one or more core players leaving.

That being said, I think Malkin is likely to have a shorter shelf life than Letang. Everyone always says "when Letang's body gives out, it's going to be ugly," but the fact of the matter is that's already happening to Malkin. I would be shocked if he ever plays a 70+ game season again. He has clearly lost more than a step. Even after he "got it together" earlier in the season, he wasn't even really close to a point per game. He's well into the back nine of his career and I don't know if it would be wise for the Penguins to keep him around for another contract unless he's willing to sign for well under market value and play a diminished role.

Its more than those 2. McCann reeks of buyer beware on his next contract. I'm not sure I'm interesting in bringing him back after next year if his playoff performances don't drastically improve. He's going to want paid based his regular season performance. Rust? Jake?

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I have to think Guentzel is hurt tbh. He's never looked this bad. Not sure about Rust, but his play is definitely worse than I'd expected going into the series.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I have to think Guentzel is hurt tbh. He's never looked this bad. Not sure about Rust, but his play is definitely worse than I'd expected going into the series.

Rust has been garbage for like most of the second half of the regular season. It doesn't shock me he's carried it over into the playoffs, yet Sullivan keeps using him like he's on fire.

The more Rust plays like this, the more I don't want the Pens committing big money and term to him.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Guentzel and Malkin both look hurt. I fear that tumble into the boards that looked like Jake shoulder break 2.0 may have done something to him.

The Isles are just beating us with speed, intensity, and physicality. If we don't match 2 of the 3, we're going to have issues. We have more skill than physicality than they do but our speed and intensity seems to ebb and flow while they just bring it in waves. As soon as we have a turnover for a goal or something like that you can bet your ass you're going to see a 2016 looking Penguins team but instead the Isles coming at us like buzzsaws.

Reactions: Trade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad