Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There’s no spot on the roster for him. Sullivan and Dubas won’t waive Beauvillier for a player like Poulin regardless of how well he plays.
They really do need to make a trade unless they're just going to be waiving some of these guys after camp. Like:

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Rakell
Bunting
Hayes
Glass
Eller
Acciari
Lizotte
Beauvillier
McGroarty
O'Connor
Nieto
Puustinen

I don't know Nieto's situation maybe he's not going to be ready to start the season. That's still 14 forwards even without counting Nieto. And they're all guys who would get claimed if they tried to pass them through waivers.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
It would be great if Poulin made a real case for himself on the big club this year.

When he was first drafted, his upside looked a lot like McGroarty's does now.
My concern is that Poulin is going to a waiver casualty this year. Theres so many forwards ahead of him and Sullivan didnt seem to care for him much last year either.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They really do need to make a trade unless they're just going to be waiving some of these guys after camp. Like:

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Rakell
Bunting
Hayes
Glass
Eller
Acciari
Lizotte
Beauvillier
McGroarty
O'Connor
Nieto
Puustinen

I don't know Nieto's situation maybe he's not going to be ready to start the season. That's still 14 forwards even without counting Nieto. And they're all guys who would get claimed if they tried to pass them through waivers.

You forgot Bemstrom.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
My concern is that Poulin is going to a waiver casualty this year. Theres so many forwards ahead of him and Sullivan didnt seem to care for him much last year either.
Imagine if he's waived and no one claims him, that won't help his already fragile mental health.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Nieto is done and Acciari seems like he’s on the outs. Even if he’s our 13th best forward you can’t scratch a guy making 2 million. Poulin is competing with Puustinen and Puljujarvi for the 13th forward, and we might just keep 14 anyway. And that’s with zero injuries. I think he makes the team.

Dubas didn’t mind keeping a young guy around in the press box if he had a future in the org but wasn’t likely to clear waivers, like Holl in 18-19. I think they keep Poulin until space is available.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Rakell
Bunting
Hayes
Glass
Eller
Acciari
Lizotte
Beauvillier
McGroarty
O'Connor
Nieto
Puustinen

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Rakell
Bunting
Hayes
Glass
Eller
Acciari
Lizotte
Beauvillier
McGroarty
O'Connor
Nieto *LTIR
Puustinen
Poulin
Puljujarvi
Bemstrom
Gruden

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Rakell
Bunting
Hayes
Glass
Eller
Acciari
Lizotte
Beauvillier
McGroarty
O'Connor
Nieto *LTIR
Puustinen
Poulin
Puljujarvi
Bemstrom
Gruden

Gruden and Bemstrom both will be waived Neito is done. I think McGroarty starts in the AHL until a trade is made.

JP and Poulin will battle out for spot 14.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You forgot Bemstrom.
Yeah I figured I forgot someone.

We have so many guys and many of them would be tough to sneak through waivers. No idea what Dubas' plan is unless he just doesn't give a crap to lose some of these guys for nothing.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Yeah I figured I forgot someone.

We have so many guys and many of them would be tough to sneak through waivers. No idea what Dubas' plan is unless he just doesn't give a crap to lose some of these guys for nothing.

He could just waive Accair and Eller. If no one picks them up then whatever call them up later. We will see if he has to guts to do it, if they are outplayed.

I think Eller gets traded still.

But more likely, Sid and Geno get hurt and eller is the 1rst line center in game 1.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He’s fine. I think Penguins fans overrate him much like Carter in 2020.

He’s ideally a 4th line C and 2+ mil for that is not really “good”.
I think the people saying waive him or salary dump him are underrating him.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Eller is the likely player dealt. Acciari with 2 years left will be a tough move. Eller gone is 3 million in cap space. Hayes here was the draft pick to take him and Dubas must think he has some gas left in the tank. If he can play a decent center, him, DOC and Glass is better than what passed last year on the third line. Leaves 5 players for 3 spots for the 4th line.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Bad or below average skating can hold someone back. But good hockey sense can make up for it.

In his draft year, McGroarty had a 3.5 in skating from Elite Prospects (5 is NHL level). And in their most recent write up of up him he is now at a 4. Still not NHL level, but it does seem that he has improved. McG's hockey sense is a 6 or 6.5 depending which report I'm looking at from them.

In EP's recent write up of McG and his requested trade they made it sound like he's a more skilled, less intense Hornqvist.
Someone in another thread made the comparison to Shane Doan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Very possible.

There’s no spot on the roster for him. Sullivan and Dubas won’t waive Beauvillier for a player like Poulin regardless of how well he plays.
True. But maybe we move out a player or two.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Crosby
Malkin
Rust
Rakell
Bunting
Hayes
Glass
Eller
Acciari
Lizotte
Beauvillier
McGroarty
O'Connor
Nieto
Puustinen

Nieto is basically cooked at this point, LTIR'd for the rest of his contract.

Acciari and Eller should be moved imo and I think they should have decided between getting Beauvillier and moving Doc, to have both is so redundant. Any right side players I think you can take off the list, that's the side where I think it's fine with what the team has - Rust, Rakell, Puustinen, Lizotte/Puljujarvi, Bemstrom...

Bemstrom will play himself down to WBS, Puljujarvi might stick as 13th given his ability to show he can play a bottom 6 role and be a bit of a pain in the ass with his game.

I guess mcgrorarthy will take Yagers spot in the rookie tournament?
Well he is signed and hopefully they're going to use him as a LW and not C.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas will make a couple more deals here before the puck drops for real. DOC looked like he was fine on the top line. The rookies skill set will in time be a top line LW. Dubas did add the LD from Boston, Glass from Nashville and a couple forwards as well. All are on one and 2 year deals so Dubas can develop the prospects this year so they can be ready to go in 2025-26.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad