Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Russian/KHL/VHL/MHL players are indefinite:

CapFriendly had the same thing.

Yeah, depends on the league:

This is correct, the NHL and KHL do not have a transfer agreement so they do not have a set time for prospect rights to expire.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Looks like we have 4 years after the draft.
In most cases it's 4 years yes. Apparently, (and I looked at the same sight as Randy earlier today) and there was no date given because I guess your rights as an NHL team remain with the player for much longer, maybe age 27, not sure.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
This is correct, the NHL and KHL do not have a transfer agreement so they do not have a set time for prospect rights to expire.

c1fd95af4433edf940fdc8d08b411622.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Dailyfaceoff Pittsburgh has the Pens lineup as such...

Rakell, Crosby, Rust
Bunting, Malkin, McGroarty
O'Connor, Hayes, Glass
Lizotte, Eller, Accairi

Petts, Karlsson
Graves, Letang
Grzelcyk, Aho

Jarry, Ned

Everyone keeps wanting to put Hayes at 4C and I don't see that happening. Rakell is a much better option at LW on Sids line.
Career LW'er McGroarty on the RW. Long time RW Rakell on the LW.

And no Beauvillier.

Legit line combos you dolt.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Some of the stuff I've read says McGroarty can play either side. How true that is....no clue.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't know why the NHL website lists McGroarty as a RW. Michigan made him a LW the moment he stepped on campus. Outside of some anecdotal shifts, he hasn't played RW since junior.
He's listed nearly everywhere else as "LW/C". I ask the guys on the Jets board the deal and they said he is a LW and that's what he would be in the NHL. Highly unlikely to ever be a center. Now I get some guys can do both sides but it seems unnecessarily messy to put Rakell and Rutger on their off-sides.

Given his style of play, starting him on Sid's LW in camp/pre-season seems like the stupid obvious move. If that doesn't work, DOC moves up or you can try others like Glass, Beauvillier, etc.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
I don't know why the NHL website lists McGroarty as a RW. Michigan made him a LW the moment he stepped on campus. Outside of some anecdotal shifts, he hasn't played RW since junior.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
How much center has McGroarty played?
I don't even have "C" down as a secondary position for him until I go back to his 15 year old season. LW all the way. He plays like one, acts like one, shoots like one. Never seen him at RW I don't believe ever. At least I have seen him line up at center before, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily on the table for him going forward...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I don't even have "C" down as a secondary position for him until I go back to his 15 year old season. LW all the way. He plays like one, acts like one, shoots like one. Never seen him at RW I don't believe ever. At least I have seen him line up at center before, but I wouldn't say that's necessarily on the table for him going forward...
This is what the Jets board told me as well.

Gonna be a 99% LW that takes a faceoff when Sid is booted. Maybe.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I hope he’s gotten healthy and added some quicks from this spring.

Not sure he’s NHL ready yet.

Do think his style will eventually translate well if his feet are good enough (all IMO). Which is a big qualifier, but still, I like how he generates his points. I think he can score off the cycle and I saw his rush numbers were good (not that the Pens generate many rush chances :laugh:).

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
I'm gonna do a video breakdown on him...I just chopped up half a game vs MSU. I'll see how long it takes me to talk over it. If you see it soon, I don't have much to whine about, and he'll make the opening night roster. If you don't see it very soon, that means I have a lot to complain about and he won't make the roster.

I'm like a hockey version of that badger that y'all pull out of his house on Valentine's Day to see if there's six more weeks of February or whatever that nonsense is...

Standby.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm gonna do a video breakdown on him...I just chopped up half a game vs MSU. I'll see how long it takes me to talk over it. If you see it soon, I don't have much to whine about, and he'll make the opening night roster. If you don't see it very soon, that means I have a lot to complain about and he won't make the roster.

I'm like a hockey version of that badger that y'all pull out of his house on Valentine's Day to see if there's six more weeks of February or whatever that nonsense is...

Standby.

The package you did on Swanson was great.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Yeah they’re usually pretty deflating for like 99% of prospects lol
Well, most of them don't make it, so...haha

That's probably the biggest change I've made in my evaluation. When I first started making lists, they were miles long..."well, he could make it as a third unit penalty killing defenseman...if they brought back the old Boston Garden sized rink...and forwards were forced to wear parachutes..."

Instead it's "why would you play in the NHL over a guy that's already there?" My whole draftable American list this year (USHL, NCAA, Prep) was like ~25 names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad