Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
"Your stepmom's cute."
"Shut up, Ted."
"Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?"
1724372517984.png

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Hanks

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
At a glance Kingston looks like they'll be middle-of-the-pack or so. Quite a few returning players, but they weren't great last year either. Don't see much in the way of PMD so maybe Pieniniemi has an opportunity to see more offensive situations than he would back home or even on another CHL team.

Reactions: Jdodd

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I have Yager with the higher ceiling but not by much. McGroarty has the higher floor and is more ready.

Like I said in the other thread. I think if McGroarty hits his ceiling, it is a harder skill set to find than Yager.

A McCann vs Horny type thing. Not saying Yager is McCann or McGroarty is Horny. But the idea that one will out up more offense but the other brings an element that is hard to find.

Also who would show up in the playoffs?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hopefully this move helps Pieniniemi develop his offensive game more. Doesnt look like there are any "high profile" D on the team so he could get alot of playing time. Also the coach of Kingston is.... Caputi
Caputi was fired last season. He was a god-awful coach.

Although I haven't followed much in the off-season, so re-hiring him would be the type of move a shitstain organization like the Frontenacs would do.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Sorry i havent kept up but how is Vasily Ponomarev, Ville Koivunen, and Cruz Lucius looking? Worried bout that Jake trade might of been really just for Bunting and these 3 were just giving to us to clear Carolina's prospect litter.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sorry i havent kept up but how is Vasily Ponomarev, Ville Koivunen, and Cruz Lucius looking? Worried bout that Jake trade might of been really just for Bunting and these 3 were just giving to us to clear Carolina's prospect litter.

Granted I've literally not watched any of them play...

Ponomarev is likely NHL ready. Bottom 6.

Koivunen had a pretty good season in Finland. Not sure how that translates to North America.

Lucius is producing fairly well for his college team. But I think his team is low scoring and someone has to score for them. That's all I know.

Reactions: farscape1

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
Granted I've literally not watched any of them play...

Ponomarev is likely NHL ready. Bottom 6.

Koivunen had a pretty good season in Finland. Not sure how that translates to North America.

Lucius is producing fairly well for his college team. But I think his team is low scoring and someone has to score for them. That's all I know.
Thank you.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jake trade was the numbers game with the draft pick RD and Bunting and prospects. It gives the organization needed depth and potential NHL players down the road. Ponomarev looks to be close to making the big club. I would have preferred Morrow at RD but Dubas make the best deal he could. All in all, I like the LW top 3 with Bunting, DOC, and the new guy.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
We got quantity but not really quality, but with our shitty prospect pool that’s fine.

I think both Koivunen and Ponomarev could make the team if it wasn't for the glut of bottom 6 trash, Hayes, Accari and Eller. Nieto too but he is done.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I expect Dubas will move a couple vets if he can. Eller and Acciari. Cap space and creating room for a couple younger players is where the next moves are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jake trade was the numbers game with the draft pick RD and Bunting and prospects. It gives the organization needed depth and potential NHL players down the road. Ponomarev looks to be close to making the big club. I would have preferred Morrow at RD but Dubas make the best deal he could. All in all, I like the LW top 3 with Bunting, DOC, and the new guy.

None of the players in the Guentzel trade play more than 100 games with PIT IMO.

I think Pono is a good bet to be an NHLer but has low upside. I think Koivunen has higher upside but low chance of reaching it. And Lucius is a scratch-off.

Aligned.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I think both Koivunen and Ponomarev could make the team if it wasn't for the glut of bottom 6 trash, Hayes, Accari and Eller. Nieto too but he is done.
I watched a few of Koivunen's games after the Penguins traded for him. There's definitely NHL potential in there, but he was a little raw. He's not so dangerous offensively that you just have to make room for him and take the good with the bad. A year in the AHL get top 6 minutes is probably the right place for him.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I watched a few of Koivunen's games after the Penguins traded for him. There's definitely NHL potential in there, but he was a little raw. He's not so dangerous offensively that you just have to make room for him and take the good with the bad. A year in the AHL get top 6 minutes is probably the right place for him.

Ya I don't disagree. Just saying that these guys could probably make the hop if needed. I think it will be good to have them in WBS though. I also think McGroarty starts in WBS if no players are injured. Then the pens hope a team needs a forward and takes Accari or Eller.

I think Eller goes before the season or in the first month.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It would be great if Poulin made a real case for himself on the big club this year.

When he was first drafted, his upside looked a lot like McGroarty's does now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad