Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread: 2023-2024 Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
8013def9-0e9a-47c6-a8b5-7bb7ad4ca0f7_text.gif

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
What’s the point of playing college hockey if you’ve already graduated?
I don't know about his personal situation, but at 21/22, it's probably more fun hanging around a college campus and occasionally playing hockey than being a grown-up and playing a lot more often for crappy pay in the ECHL (although Allen is probably better than Wheeling or Fort Wayne, etc.). Or maybe he thought, just one year of college and I'll start posting respectable stats and an NHL team will be interested. Or maybe not.

Reactions: Dux917 and Jacob

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I figure even if he's not an NHL caliber prospect he can probably still go play for decent money somewhere in Europe. Swiss-B league or Italy or something. Beats playing for free.

Reactions: farscape1

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wish I could go back and relive college life in that 18-22yo time frame. Man, what a time that would be. To make the focus hockey would be even better.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What’s the point of playing college hockey if you’ve already graduated?
maybe 70k in the AHL if he could get a contract or real world corp job

versus college parties, college girls, working out, playing hockey and struggling towards a common goal with your best friends…

I know what I’d pick.

Reactions: farscape1

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
This trade means we will have one less player in the WJC.
So my guess is only Pienniniem and Kangas will be there for us.

Both Swanson and Howe were at the WJSS. But Swanson didnt impress and had like 1 assist in total. And Howe? did he get one game? But someone said he had an injury.
I dont think any of the two will make it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Said this in the other thread but hearing that he has skating issues makes me nervous. Bad skating can really hold prospects back.

Not saying he can't overcome it or that he's not a great prospect. I just hate hearing that.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This trade means we will have one less player in the WJC.
So my guess is only Pienniniem and Kangas will be there for us.

Both Swanson and Howe were at the WJSS. But Swanson didnt impress and had like 1 assist in total. And Howe? did he get one game? But someone said he had an injury.
I dont think any of the two will make it.
Yeah I think it’s just the two you mentioned unless Howe or Brunicke is in full nuclear mode.

Jarventie a sleeper for Finland

I see no path for Swanson this year

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Said this in the other thread but hearing that he has skating issues makes me nervous. Bad skating can really hold prospects back.

Not saying he can't overcome it or that he's not a great prospect. I just hate hearing that.
I read in the article in theathletic that Wheeler called the skating "league average", which is better than i had thought after reading scouting reports.

Yeah I think it’s just the two you mentioned unless Howe or Brunicke is in full nuclear mode.

Jarventie a sleeper for Finland

I see no path for Swanson this year
Not that the summer showcase is everything. But Brunicke wasnt invited so he REALLY has to go rampage to even get considered i think. He might make it next time tho. Too bad this is Howes last chance since hes a late birthday.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

Bad or below average skating can hold someone back. But good hockey sense can make up for it.

In his draft year, McGroarty had a 3.5 in skating from Elite Prospects (5 is NHL level). And in their most recent write up of up him he is now at a 4. Still not NHL level, but it does seem that he has improved. McG's hockey sense is a 6 or 6.5 depending which report I'm looking at from them.

In EP's recent write up of McG and his requested trade they made it sound like he's a more skilled, less intense Hornqvist.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
View attachment 902590View attachment 902591

Very in-depth report on Rutger McGroarty from the 2022 Draft. From HP Blackbook
Here's your ChatGPT manufactured TLDR which may be easier to read...

The scouting report provides a detailed analysis of Rutger McGroarty, a hockey player who was part of the USA U18 team. Here's a summary:

Strengths:
1. Powerful Forward: McGroarty is described as a dual-threat, power forward with leadership qualities, evidenced by his captaincy and strong performance in terms of goals and assists.
2. Scoring Ability: He has a heavy shot, excellent accuracy, and can score from anywhere on the ice. His quick release allows him to beat goalies before they can set up, and he can score in tight areas and in front of the net.
3. Physical Play: He is known for his physicality and ability to battle through traffic, protect the puck, and play with an edge.
4. Smart Player: McGroarty is noted for his hockey IQ, particularly in positional play, defensive awareness, and his ability to adapt and adjust during games. He processes information quickly and uses his size effectively.
5. Effort and Competitiveness: He consistently brings high energy, competes hard every shift, and has been praised for his leadership and consistency.

Weaknesses:
1. Skating: The most significant concern is his skating ability, specifically his agility, speed, and ability to transition smoothly. His mechanics and stride are considered weak points that may limit his effectiveness at the NHL level.
2. Limited Playmaking: Although McGroarty is a good passer, his playmaking is somewhat limited by his skating, as he struggles with lateral movement and creating separation from defenders.
3. One-Dimensional Early On: Earlier in his development, McGroarty was seen as a bit one-dimensional, focusing mainly on scoring and not contributing as much in other areas of the game.

Progress and Potential:
- Over time, McGroarty showed significant improvement in his playmaking and decision-making, which positively changed scouts' opinions of him.
- His physical and mental attributes give him the potential to overcome his skating deficiencies and become a successful NHL player.
- Some scouts believe he could slip slightly in the draft due to concerns about his skating, while others see him as a top-tier talent who could become an impactful player at the NHL level if he continues to develop.

In summary, McGroarty is a highly skilled, competitive power forward with excellent scoring ability and leadership qualities. However, his skating remains a critical area for improvement, which could influence his draft position and future success in the NHL.

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hopefully this move helps Pieniniemi develop his offensive game more. Doesnt look like there are any "high profile" D on the team so he could get alot of playing time. Also the coach of Kingston is.... Caputi

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad