Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Why, they're potential relocation destinations! Look for the Cincinnati Coyotes or Lexington Thoroughbreds. :sarcasm:

Did anyone expect yesterday's meeting to be so quiet, non-eventful on the news front? Has anyone involved in the meeting actually spoke about it? It's gone from calm before the storm quiet in the 2 weeks before this meeting to just plain strange quiet.

Ah...the perfect storm! :sarcasm:

Excuse me, is there a way out?

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Or from Lou Gramm to Lou Kilogramm.

Didn't Lou have some kind of brain tumor, and puffed up because of the medication? I've seen some brutal footage of him on stage of late. Someone could do him a favor and gently suggest he avoid the limelight until he's back in shape again!

Lou Kilogramm is a good one though. Hadn't heard that one before. :laugh:

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Québecor Média ‏@QuebecorMedia 19m
Agreement between Rogers and Videotron: Shared network will bring benefits of LTE to more consumers and businesses by 2014.

Rogers owns Sportsnet, which is a very close business partner of QMI, and that is why it won't leak from there either.

Last edited:

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Just wait. With the publicity and knowledge about the plane, they may fly commercial to keep it under wraps.. just a thought

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Just wait. With the publicity and knowledge about the plane, they may fly commercial to keep it under wraps.. just a thought

Why all the secrecy anyway? I mean, who cares if they keep it quiet until the very last minute? Okay, if a deal isn't quite done yet, fair enough, but if they're just waiting until the right moment to announce it, why bother?

Which reminds me, what is the significance of Gary's look of constipation when when checking his blackberry in connection with the Jets move? It wasn't like he didn't know they were moving... was he just upset that the news had leaked out before the announcement?

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Why all the secrecy anyway? I mean, who cares if they keep it quiet until the very last minute? Okay, if a deal isn't quite done yet, fair enough, but if they're just waiting until the right moment to announce it, why bother?

Which reminds me, what is the significance of Gary's look of constipation when when checking his blackberry in connection with the Jets move? It wasn't like he didn't know they were moving... was he just upset that the news had leaked out before the announcement?

The Win folks could explain.

I think the deal was not completed at the time of the leak.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sorry for the ignorance, but it's hard reading through these thread.

Can someone tell me exactly where things stand right now?

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011

City of Glendale is standing firm that it will not pay anyone, including the NHL, more than 6 million to manage the arena. The NHL plus designated purchaser George Gosbee traveled to Glendale yesterday to politely ask the CoG to significantly raise the arena management fee. Apparently that didn't happen, and the NHL delegation left Glendale without arranging any further meetings or leaving any kind of paperwork for the CoG to look over. Also, prospective arena management companies will be submitting their proposals by Friday and presumably will not ask for more than 6 million big ones. Therefore the NHL's options now appear to be limited to Quebec City or massive losses next year in Glendale.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Ok, so here's the situation:

The nhl has owned the Coyotes for four years now after buying them out of bankruptcy.

The nhl is targeting a possible buyer: the Renaissance Group.

There was a meeting between them, the nhl and the City of Glendale (with whom a lease will need to be negotiated if Renaissance wants the team). But nothing much happened in this meeting.

Further complicating matters, the city is searching for a group to manage the arena (and ideally for an nhl team to be viable the team owner must do so, like in the new QC arena), and on the 31 they close applications! It is unknown at this time if Renaissance has applied (or will do so).

The winner will most likely be chosen in late june. And if the manager ain't Renaissance, they could kick out the Coyotes, or squeeze them for money!

And further complicating matters (even more), if the NHL wait to see if Renaissance wins the proccess, there will be no time left to relocate the team! (With QC as a likely new home)

So we are all asking ourselves right now if the nhl will soon pull the plug. Or if they will try to wait and see (a decision with likely disastrous results!)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Québecor Média ‏@QuebecorMedia 19m
Agreement between Rogers and Videotron: Shared network will bring benefits of LTE to more consumers and businesses by 2014.

Rogers owns Sportsnet, which is a very close business partner of QMI, and that is why it won't leak from there either.

Always thought Quebecor should have bought The Score to present the Nords games in english there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Thanks guys.

I'm guessing Gosbee and the Renaissance Group are the same?

What's stopping the NHL from moving the team but not selling to QC? (I'm not implying they'd want to do this, just wondering)

JB52

Apr 6, 2012
Quebec City
The winner will most likely be chosen in late june. And if the manager ain't Renaissance, they could kick out the Coyotes, or squeeze them for money!

Excellent Acesolid!

I would only like to add that if the COG wait for the management bids, we know that it won't be Renaissance as they don't qualify for the job. They also said (LeBlanc, I think) that they won't bid to manage the arena.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
Thanks guys.

What's stopping the NHL from moving the team but not selling to QC?

First point: yes, Gosbee is the leader of the group.

Second point: you have to understand that the nhl isn't normally in the ''team owning'' business. (A ridiculously risky and costly venture) The nhl doesn't want to lose money on the Coyotes. And so, if they ''move the team'', it'll be trough the sale of the team.

And if they keep the team there, they'll increase the sale price to cover their losses.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Whole thing seems like the NHL is waiting for a big "Go Away!" from the COG to go to Québec.

With CoG doing their part in playing the delay game, not giving the league 'what they want to hear'.

It's the longest staring contest....possibly ever

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Private charter's covered by the Arena Management Fee. Easily justify how it was that they charged the COG $25M with actual arena operation expenses at app $5.5M. Mid-sized Lear jet run ya'll about $3000 an hour. About 5.5hrs from Teterboro to SkyHarbour in Phoenix... quick jaunt over to LA, prolly Bakersfield, limo, round er out return at about $50,000 all in excluding the McHappy Meals & Big Gulps from 7/11...

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Thanks guys.

What's stopping the NHL from moving the team but not selling to QC? (I'm not implying they'd want to do this, just wondering)

- Yes, Gosbee and Renaissance are the same.

- Lack of other options as regards suitable owner, arena and market - Seattle: arena not suitable, no owner in sight without a suitable arena; Kansas City: suitable arena but no owner; Toronto: Leafs control the only suitable arena and presumably don't want competition; Hamilton: arena outdated and the Leafs don't want competition; Houston: guy who controls the arena doesn't want hockey; Portland: see Houston

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
With CoG doing their part in playing the delay game, not giving the league 'what they want to hear'.

It's the longest staring contest....possibly ever

Indeed, staring at Gosbee... :sarcasm:

men_who_stare_at_goats_still.jpg

Excuse me, is there a way out?

Last edited:

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the NHL pulls an Expos and relocates the team somewhere themselves with no arena plan in sight

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the NHL pulls an Expos and relocates the team somewhere themselves with no arena plan in sight

Was just thinking this. Wouldn't that pretty much rule out everyone but Kansas City and I suppose Hamilton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad