Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
- Yes, Gosbee and Renaissance are the same.

- Lack of other options as regards suitable owner, arena and market - Seattle: arena not suitable, no owner in sight without a suitable arena; Kansas City: suitable arena but no owner; Toronto: Leafs control the only suitable arena and presumably don't want competition; Hamilton: arena outdated and the Leafs don't want competition; Houston: guy who controls the arena doesn't want hockey; Portland: see Houston

Thanks. I was more thinking in terms of the league owning the team through a temporary, or not temporary, relocation, in the case of the new arena manager kicking them out. Sorta like the New Orleans Hornets in OKC situation, but with league ownership instead, and obviously no life altering circumstances in surrounding. While the team is in it's temporary home, they take on all suitors.

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec
I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the NHL pulls an Expos and relocates the team somewhere themselves with no arena plan in sight

One answer to that: NO TIME!

There is no time left to negotiate a lease, take care of marketing, take care of uniforms, etc...

They need to give to team to a owner and place already ready for a team, with the whole ''project'' that will be the 2013-2014 season planned out, budgeted and prepared.

Except if the NHL has secretly planned such a crazy move under nhl ownership in a secret ''manhattan project'' bunker with a secret team of experts cut of from the press and their famillies, it's impossible.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
Thanks. I was more thinking in terms of the league owning the team through a temporary, or not temporary, relocation, in the case of the new arena manager kicking them out. Sorta like the New Orleans Hornets in OKC situation, but with league ownership instead, and obviously no life altering circumstances in surrounding. While the team is in it's temporary home, they take on all suitors.

Theoretically possible as Brodie suggested. Seems like the only real possibility would be Kansas City, which has a new arena. However, KC has made it clear that it is making plenty of money without an anchor tenant, so the NHL would not get a sweetheart deal there. After that the number of markets with an available arena are severely limited. Hamilton has an arena with no tenant... they would also love to have a hockey team. But the arena needs major renovations to be profitable, so anyone they'd want to sell to would have to work that out somehow. As well as overcome stiff opposition by the Leafs. Also, putting a team in Hamilton would probably eliminate the option of expansion to Toronto in the future.

I think it'd basically only be possible for Seattle and Kansas City.

No guarantee of a new arena in Seattle though. They're better off trying to stay in Glendale under those circumstances, I would think.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
One answer to that: NO TIME!

There is no time left to negotiate a lease, take care of marketing, take care of uniforms, etc...

They need to give to team to a owner and place already ready for a team, with the whole ''project'' that will be the 2013-2014 season planned out, budgeted and prepared.

Except if the NHL has secretly planned such a crazy move under nhl ownership in a secret ''manhattan project'' bunker with a secret team of experts cut of from the press and their famillies, it's impossible.

They could be the Kansas City Coyotes and you wouldn't even have to change the name and uniforms!

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
No guarantee of a new arena in Seattle though. They're better off trying to stay in Glendale under those circumstances, I would think.

MLB relocated under the same circumstance... no owner, no stadium on the way. They wanted Washington, they went to Washington.

OthmarAmmann

Omnishambles
Jul 7, 2010
NYC
They could be the Kansas City Coyotes and you wouldn't even have to change the name and uniforms!

Since the coyote's range is pretty much all of North America it could work anywhere

Cypron-Range_Canis_latrans.svg

Except Quebec it would seem...

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

And how would they negotiate the lease? Or the training arena? Or hire staff? Travel? A marketing plan that targets the right customers in KC trough the right medias? Market research? Or how and where to sell tickets? Or the team lodging? Or where the team offices will be situated? Or how the nhl game equipment (tv, ref and review) will be installed?

That stuff is a collossal headache. I know a lot about project management, and such a thing is impossible on such short notice!

The only guys who have planned such a thing out in minute detail are QC and PKP.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
MLB relocated under the same circumstance... no owner, no stadium on the way. They wanted Washington, they went to Washington.

The difference being that Seattle has shown very little desire to publicly fund new stadiums for pro sports teams, having already exhausted those means for the football stadium and the baseball stadium, whereas D.C. had been hankering for the return of baseball for a long time and was willing to publicly fund a new stadium.

Obviously there are people in Seattle who want to make a new stadium happen and are capable of doing so with private funds, but just relocating there and hoping for something to materialize seems like it would be extremely risky for the league.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
No NHL franchises are on the verge of relocating, to Winnipeg or anywhere else, according to Red Wings senior vice president Jimmy Devellano. -March 2011

So disregard his comment today

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
And how would they negotiate the lease? Or the training arena? Or hire staff? Travel? A marketing plan that targets the right customers in KC trough the right medias? Market research? Or how and where to sell tickets? Or the team lodging? Or where the team offices will be situated? Or how the nhl game equipment (tv, ref and review) will be installed?

That stuff is a collossal headache. I know a lot about project management, and such a thing is impossible on such short notice!

The only guys who have planned such a thing out in minute detail are QC and PKP.

Dude, don't get me wrong... I think they will announce relocation to QC in days, not weeks! But, if for some reason the league really wants nothing at all to do with QC (which to me is implausible - why would they not want QC after the success of the Jets?), they could find a way to shoehorn the team into KC I think.

Bill Daly was extolling the virtues of Quebec City a couple of weeks ago, so I don't believe the league has any kind of aversion to QC.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I guess you didn't hear Hansen talking about how he believes they could get the arena done with an NHL team first? I think that they could pretty easily amend that MOU if an NHL team were actually there in Key Arena.

and logos/uniforms... didn't the Jets take like 2 months to come up with theirs?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think you guys have put way too much thought into how much time it'd take to find things like media partners... a lot of franchise relocations are incredibly abrupt. They don't all require months of meticulous foresight like the Jets did.

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
it would be a challenge, but hamilton could receive the team quite successfully now. the infrastructure is here and demand would easily guarantee an immediate five year sellout at big prices. either a quick makeover at copps or a whole new mega-development in the harbour would become home. the city has just hired world leading smg arena management. new owners in toronto stand to profit more from negotiated broadcast rights than lost ticket sales. buffalo has one of the deepest set of ownership pockets in the league, now enjoys a long season ticket wait list, has just built new ice practice facilities across the street, and would likely relish the rivalry than fear any competition. and there's more than enough money in hamilton and surrounding are to pay for it all. an actual good investment, imagine that.

really, were it not for broken ground in quebec city and recent mods for temporary time at le colisee, i would say hamilton would be the top contender for a relocated coyotes team. there's just that nagging issue of not wanting this team to end up in the city everyone has fought so hard to deny.

but hey, strange things happen.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
I guess you didn't hear Hansen talking about how he believes they could get the arena done with an NHL team first? I think that they could pretty easily amend that MOU if an NHL team were actually there in Key Arena.

I did. It sounded to me like "Basketball, basketball, basketball... the NHL? Sure, why not, what do I care? Did I mention basketball, basketball, basketball, basketball...."

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Since the coyote's range is pretty much all of North America it could work anywhere

Cypron-Range_Canis_latrans.svg

Except Quebec it would seem...

Not quite... :naughty:

Coyote Geography - Range

The ubiquitous coyote is found throughout North America from eastern Alaska to New England and south through Mexico to Panama. It originally ranged primarily in the northwest corner of the US, but it has adapted readily to the changes caused by human occupation and, in the past 200 years, has been steadily extending its range. Sightings now commonly occur in Florida, New England and eastern Canada.

Source: http://www.desertusa.com/animals/coyote.html

Excuse me, is there a way out?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
it would be a challenge, but hamilton could receive the team quite successfully now.... the city has just hired world leading smg arena management. new owners in toronto stand to profit more from negotiated.

... actually GS, Hamilton hired Global-Spectrum & LiveNation to Manage Copps, smg an IMO mid-range type facility management firm without the clout of a GS or AEG (depending on how that all pans out). Im sure your more than familiar with who's behind GS, LiveNation as well beyond experienced, they deliver the goods. And ya, Hamilton could easily accommodate (and then some, as in blow the doors off of about 2/3rds of the league) an NHL franchise right away and in a pinch. The Bulldogs lease includes an immediate notification of eviction should Hamilton land a franchise.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Why in the world would the NHL send the Coyotes to a temporary home, when Quebec is ready to buy for big $$?

Makes no sense at all.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why in the world would the NHL send the Coyotes to a temporary home, when Quebec is ready to buy for big $$?

Makes no sense at all.

Quebec would be willing to buy for bigger profit on an expansion.

Plus, QC creates all SORTS of issues on alignment.

RAgIn

Oct 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ont

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Quebec would be willing to buy for bigger profit on an expansion.

Plus, QC creates all SORTS of issues on alignment.

Why would an expansion team be worth more then an existing franchise? It wouldn't

Realignment problems are not serious, Winnipeg had to play in the east for 2 years, Quebec would likely play in the Midwest until the next realignment and Colorado stay in the pacific.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
For the record, Colorado did play in McNichols arena for 4 seasons...so there is precedent to returning to cities in old barns.

I think the league is blowin smoke out its ass on every aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad