Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
There was a rumour to that affect floating around that I believe stemmed from a reporter in PQ, since pretty much all but eliminated as any kind of reality. I mean honestly, who? Certainly not the Panthers nor Tampa, Nashvilles doing just fine, New Jersey, Anaheim; not going anywhere. The only thing I could think of would be Wang going nuts, reneging on his agreements to move to Brooklyn, going rogue. I could see him doing that if PKP or whomever threw hundreds of millions at him. Bettman & the BOG's would have kittens though. So good luck with that. The Islanders come with a terrific local TV deal in the market, lots of upside & Im sure if Wang does sell, no lack of interested local buyers.

Hurricanes? The owner was looking for a new partner and recently sold an ECHL team.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hurricanes? The owner was looking for a new partner and recently sold an ECHL team.

They just lined up several minority investors, quality people & companies, their not going anywhere. Fact is there isnt another team in dire-straights, Colorado and several others punching their way up from the canvas sure, but nothing of the magnitude of Atlanta & ASG's treachery.

... and lookee here, another thread burned right through, both ends & the middle in record time. Like the UselessThread on The Lounge. Averages 1.5 threads per 24hr cycle.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
That's a ridiculous argument. The fact is that very, very few people in Quebec city and eastern Quebec regularely go to nhl games because THERE IS NO BLOODY NHL TEAM!

Even trough there are tons of hockey and nhl fans, the nhl refuses to take their money, and the nhl instead has teams in markets with very few hockey fans.

I'm not complaining, the NHL's stupidity is a huge part of why the LHJMQ and the CHL in general is so successfull. I garantee that if there were more nhl teams in Canada the the league would be much healtier, and the CHL in shambles.

That's not the argument I was making, I was referring to the numbers created by the NY Times. Based on those numbers it would be hard to imagine that the NHL fan bases percentage wise would increase significantly in those viable Canadian cities seeing how for example Montreal and Quebec City already have around of the same percentage of NHL avid fans despite QC not having a team. But you look at places like Seattle with it's 5%, there's no reason that couldn't get to 10-15% shortly after the arrival of an NHL team simply due to increased exposure.

I was just pointing out that those numbers could be misleading in determining the viability of possible future NHL franchises, I wasn't arguing against the idea that the NHL would be loads healthier if it had more teams in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad