Phoenix LXXX: Is there another way out?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
I dunno RR. Ive seen a lot of Wings fans opining that they dont care if there back in the West, others adamant that no way should they be forced back after years of requesting they moved East. No question its possible though, this theory that the Big Picture of Conference Alignment is in fact the over-riding raison d'etre to why the leagues letting Phoenix play out to the nth degree. Just park the team, pray for a local sale whilst simultaneously hoping Seattle, Portland, Houston or wherever in the west comes on-line or on-board. We just dont know. Hell, Tulsa's got a beautiful relatively new NHL sized arena. Absoultely anythings possible with these Wingnuts.

I think a lot of people here actually think my english sucks, that in fact Im challenged in both of Canadas' official languages so dont worry about it.

... so, bienvenue a hfboards genial froid nelina. Cabaret Le Folichon huh? Ohh La La... www.youtube.com/watch?v=DShhHqRpHgQ

Le Folichon !?! never been there......I mean recently ! :naughty:

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I'm really surprised that a meeting date hasn't been announced between Gosbee and the CoG. Clock is ticking...

nelina

May 28, 2013
Saguenay, QC
Some of us have moved on to newer theories that aren't based on the old interest rate parity and related goods models. The sheer volume of foreign currency transactions today, much of it financial assets, makes the older models obsolete. The actual movements are more akin to bets and zero sum games (perhaps mathematically related to Brownian Motion-based models) than the old paradigm.

Yes, I may be working old fashion way. However, I still believe it has an effect at short term to make the loonie going up generally. Covered my butt on FX many times taking advantage of official speeches suggesting that the rate may go up but it was back in the 2000-2008 poor CAD era.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm really surprised that a meeting date hasn't been announced between Gosbee and the CoG. Clock is ticking...

I doubt very much meetings will be announced, nor will we here much from Glendale, and certainly even less from anyone from Renaissance. Whatevers going on will be discussed privately, the interim City Manager then going to the Mayor & Council with reports, recommendations etc. Unlikely we'll be getting like daily updates, progress reports.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
I doubt very much meetings will be announced, nor will we here much from Glendale, and certainly even less from anyone from Renaissance. Whatevers going on will be discussed privately, the interim City Manager then going to the Mayor & Council with reports, recommendations etc. Unlikely we'll be getting like daily updates, progress reports.

No lol secretive it will be considering the AZ competitive bidding regulations!

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Is it safe to say that after the Red Wings-Blackhawks, there will be some sort of announcement?

You mean right after the game? No. In the coming days / weeks, for sure.

It's only Wednesday. The CoG isn't even going to be opening the RFP envelopes until end of day Friday, and then we have to see what they got. For all we know the envelopes will just be stuffed with coupons for 10% off at Westgate and nobody actually made a proposal. If that's the case, the CoG will quickly be talking to Gosbee about A.M.

Odds are they will have a few to decide from and they will all be at the $6M range as the CoG has made it very clear that's what they are willing to spend. So, depending upon what the city thinks of the RFPs they received and after studying them for a while, who knows, they may go back to Gosbee anyway and see if he will manage the arena for $6M thereabouts.

Any announcement coming within the next few days will be from the NHL pulling the plug and moving the team because they decided they don't want to wait for the CoG, but it won't be tonight IMO.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I'm serious! If you look at many big companies, what often hurts their profitability is when the boss takes a special liking to a certain particular project or product, and stops making cold, rational decisions when it comes to it.

Maybe Bettman will show me I am wrong in the next few weeks. But how else then by the word ''irrational'' would you describe a league owning a team for 4, going on 5 years in a row at a huge loss?

Sure, they have obligations to a City that built an hockey arena. But surely by now enough is enough? Is there any rational reason for the NHL putting their arm further in the meat grinder that is the Coyotes? No, I believe there is not. Maybe they can recoup one more year of losses in the end by upgrading the purchase price, but that's hardly a good excuse for one more lame duck season, isn't it? And that'd be robbing the owners of more cash in ''relocation fees''!

Anyways, we'll see... ;)

I don't think passion s a valid assessment of th nhls motives

When the team was taken over by the NHL they had to do it in order to block Jimmy B from stealing the team off to Ontario. then there was legal requirements because of the bankruptcy proceedings which made them run the team. then they said they would move the team unless Glendale footed the bill. Glendale footed those bills and the team stayed. Even last year they had a rational purpose to dragging this out. It was better for the board of governors to keep the team in Glendale as a loss leader to help them negotiate with NHL PA. From the point of view of the owners, a struggling coyotes team tilted the books in their favor far more than a highly profitable Québec team would have. So I don't think Pasion has ever had anything to do with these decisions it's all been cold hard calculation and now the money has dried up, the reasons for keeping it are done, and this team is gone

Last edited:

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
Prez of the FLA Panthers.

Michael R. Yormark ‏@PanthersYormark14 minVery productive NHL meetings today. Covered lots of important issues and opportunities. John Collins and staff, super job.

JimAnchower

Dec 8, 2012

The previous times an "ownership group" and Glendale tried to negotiate an arena deal, it took several months to come to a final agreement. And that was with a council who were much more in line with what the "ownership group" wanted for an AMF.

Of course, the two sides can come to an agreement quicker than the previous deals, especially as there seems to be a real deadline in play (sometime in late June when Glendale would like to have an AMF with someone). But the deadline really only exists for one side; Gosbee's. Glendale knows in a few days they will have other suitors and could make a deal with any of them. If Gosbee isn't in play, they'll just go with another group.

Then again, this could all be moot in a few days.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Ive seen a lot of Wings fans opining that they dont care if there back in the West, others adamant that no way should they be forced back after years of requesting they moved East.

there's only one opinion that matters on the subject and that's Illitch's. And he's known to believe we belong in the East regardless. I think you can absolutely say that alignment is playing a role in the league's thinking re: contingencies here.

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
Paul Giblin , PaulGiblinAriz 2m
#NHL execs left no paperwork with #Glendale officials after yesterday's #Coyotes meetings. Also, no further meetings are scheduled yet.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I interpret like they had meetings today. I don't interpret as anything else.

Not sure of relevancy Qc.... unless just to signal that meetings took place, likelihood Yotes discussed?

there's only one opinion that matters on the subject and that's Illitch's. And he's known to believe we belong in the East regardless. I think you can absolutely say that alignment is playing a role in the league's thinking re: contingencies here.

"Playing a role in the leagues thinking" I agree with. Overriding any decision to sell for relo and stick it out in Phoenix under continued league ownership I disagree with if thats indeed what their thinking Brodie. I dont know whats worse: playing out a lame duck season paying rent to whomever in Glendale under what are sure to be sparse crowds & losing it by the yard or accommodating & appeasing Mike Ilitch for a year. Ya cant be moving Columbus, not after theyve just hauled their sorry butts out of the ditch. Seems pretty insane to me that in this day & age some sort of accommodation couldnt be made in addressing Conference Alignments should the Coyotes wind up in Quebec. There has to be a way for the Wings to play (where absolutely they belong) in the East along with potentially QC and not at the expense of another team or two.

Nordskull

WAITING FOR NORDS
Sep 29, 2011
Saguenay, Qc
No problem in deleting the post if its not relevant. I did not know there was NHL meetings scheduled today.

I'll bring things more specific to the topic. All fine.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Paul Giblin , PaulGiblinAriz 2m
#NHL execs left no paperwork with #Glendale officials after yesterday's #Coyotes meetings. Also, no further meetings are scheduled yet.

that doesn't strike me as an efficient way to negotiate

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
That arena can make money look at this week Billboard boxscores chart

Bon Jovi
Jobing.com Arena
Glendale, Ariz.
April 23, 2013
$1,339,701
13,951 /
$575, $189.50, $39.50, $19.50

Donwood

Mar 13, 2011
Winnipeg
that doesn't strike me as an efficient way to negotiate

That's just it, we know there is urgency to get the deal done, why would they not either meet right away or at least present a proposal to each side, This meeting was planned for a few days why did RSE not have some written plans to begin discussions.

Ugmo

Oct 24, 2011
That arena can make money look at this week Billboard boxscores chart

Bon Jovi
Jobing.com Arena
Glendale, Ariz.
April 23, 2013
$1,339,701
13,951 /
$575, $189.50, $39.50, $19.50

Normally I would ask who is insane enough to pay that much to see Bon Jovi, but I know someone who does it regularly. Not that I'll ever understand it.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
Summary minutes of last nite's meeting are up... but very generalized. Confirmation of how the voting went, that's it

It was moved by Knaack, and seconded by Martinez, to pass, adopt and approve Resolution No. 4684 New Series. Motion carried on a roll call vote, with the following Councilmembers voting “ayeâ€: Chavira, Hugh, Knaack, Martinez and Weiers. Members voting “nayâ€: Alvarez and Sherwood.

We'll have to wait for video/Final minutes

http://www.glendaleaz.com/Clerk/agendasandminutes/Meetings/Minutes/052813rsummary.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad