Value of: Philip Broberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
Maybe to the Habs for a 2nd plus a b prospect like Adam Engstrom
Call me crazy, but i would be hesitant to trade Engstrom after how well he's been developing. Think we have a good one.

That being said, this doesn't make sense for Edmonton either. I believe this year we're going to see a lot more from Broberg, still believe he's going to be a solid second pairing guy for them.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
LOL, the B will soon stand for bust if he doesn't make a significant impact this season. D+5 is the the end of the rope. After that, players are pretty much cut/loose. At D+5 Broberg's 1st round status is irrelevant. He has a very low ceiling and his floor is remaining low given the lack of progress. Every team has an underperforming late-age prospect like Broberg who's potential is waning.

No one is claiming Mailloux to be a high-end prospect. At least they shouldn't. But he's still a prospect with a fair amount of potential. IF he's in his D+5 season and still hasn't made any progress in the NHL, then i will be the first call him a pending bust. But he's only going into his D+3 season so he has time to make inroads. I see him getting some NHL games this season and a good shot at a full time role the season after. But he's far from a guarantee.
The Oilers don't need him to make a significant impact. He played half the season last year and put up some decent metrics in a sheltered role. When Ekholm was acquired those minutes decreased.

The Oilers don't have a significant role for Broberg for quite some time. He's going to be a very affordable player for them to develop and grow with the team. No one is tracking how far he is from his draft year, they're tracking where he'll be two or three years from now because his development has been positive from square one.

This idea that prospects need to pop off right out of the gate only limits the amount time that player owns a financially efficient contract. At the very least the Oilers know he's capable of playing that bottom pair role, which is exactly what they have available for him. He's not even remotely near 'bust status'.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The Oilers don't need him to make a significant impact. He played half the season last year and put up some decent metrics in a sheltered role. When Ekholm was acquired those minutes decreased.

The Oilers don't have a significant role for Broberg for quite some time. He's going to be a very affordable player for them to develop and grow with the team. No one is tracking how far he is from his draft year, they're tracking where he'll be two or three years from now because his development has been positive from square one.

This idea that prospects need to pop off right out of the gate only limits the amount time that player owns a financially efficient contract. At the very least the Oilers know he's capable of playing that bottom pair role, which is exactly what they have available for him. He's not even remotely near 'bust status'.
To answer the OP's question, what is he worth in a trade. Likely a 2nd round pick. Now i don't advocate the Oilers trade him as he has value to the Oilers. But to other teams, he's no more than a 2nd round pick at this stage.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
To answer the OP's question, what is he worth in a trade. Likely a 2nd round pick. Now i don't advocate the Oilers trade him as he has value to the Oilers. But to other teams, he's no more than a 2nd round pick at this stage.
I would actually agree with that unless there is a team specifically asking for him as a return in trade. If they're asking for Broberg, it'll be because they value him more than they value the 2nd round pick. The Oilers certainly do.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
His value would be as part of a package for a player with more experience and at a reasonable cap #. I wouldn't have an issue with him starting on our 3rd pairing but there has been some talk that he might start off as the RD on our 2nd pairing. I am not a fan of that idea in a season where our goal should be cup or bust.
Cup or bust…. Lol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Cup or bust…. Lol
Assuming you are an Oilers fan, are you content with any result other than winning the cup next season? Enough loser mentality, we have the 2 best players in the game in their primes, anything less than 1 cup in the next 2 seasons is a failure.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Unless that B stands for bluechip, no, you're wrong. B prospects are generally late 1sts or over achieving mid-round picks. Mailloux is a B prospect.

Broberg been a slow progressing prospect, partially due to injuries, but he's had a consistent uptick in production year over year, taking on more responsibility as he's improved. There was no point where his game declined.

He's well ahead of a player like Mailloux who isn't known for his defensive game at all. If Mailloux doesn't have immediate success offensively in the NHL, his stock will freefall. Broberg is a low ceiling, high floor prospect who likely settles into a second pair within the next two or three seasons. He's a low event defenseman.

Zero reason for Edmonton to deal him though. He's cheap and his development path leads him to replace Ekholm at the end of his deal.
Broberg also started playing hockey as a LW and only had a couple years of D under his belt when drafted. It was always known he would be a D +5 before he was ready and here we are. I'd say our board called this dead on. A big advantage we have is he can still pass waivers which i think Holland will have to take advantage of several times this year.

It's actually working out perfect for us

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hmmm I think a late first to a team that is further along in their rebuild and want closer to ready prospects

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Finally, you understand what a firing is.

The team didn't value Dubas and his results as much as Dubas thought they did - hence, he was fired.

I guarantee you Dubas is still working for the Leafs if the Leafs won the Stanley Cup during his tenure, or even multiple rounds.

Okay, back to the #7D - either trade him for a second round pick while he's young and has 'potential' or lose him for nothing when he's older and no longer has potential seems to be the options for him.
I think the Oilers should keep our young developing 7D for a deep playoff run. Cheap depth is a good thing.

Maybe the Oil trade Broberg at the same time the Leafs trade same-aged 13F (being generous) Robertson for a 3rd rounder while they can.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think the Oilers should keep our young developing 7D for a deep playoff run. Cheap depth is a good thing.

Maybe the Oil trade Broberg at the same time the Leafs trade same-aged 13F (being generous) Robertson for a 3rd rounder while they can.

Robertson has played half the NHL games as Broberg. He’s also dealt with injuries so the Leafs couldn’t evaluate him. The Leafs would gladly have traded him if he played last year and sucked, but he made the team during training camp and got injured for the entire season.

They’ve traded away Engvail, Moore, Johnsson, Brown, Kapanen, Sandin. They’re definitely not scared of trading away young players while they have value. Oilers seem terrified of it.

Last edited:

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
This is exactly why they would explore trading him.

In 2 years, Draisaitl will be a UFA (or re-signed) and McDavid will be on the last year of his contract. I think it's fair to assume both get significant raises, especially Draisaitl. Which is why they are trying to win it all within the next 2 seasons.
The cap will be probably be 95 mill when Draisaitl contact expires. The cap is suppose to jump up to as much as 10 mill for the 24/25 season. That kind of jump will pull most teams out of cap issues

• Haha
Reactions: Three On Zero

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Robertson is younger than Broberg. He’s also dealt with injuries so the Leafs couldn’t evaluate him. The Leafs would gladly have traded him if he played last year and sucked, but he made the team during training camp and got injured for the entire season.

They’ve traded away Engvail, Moore, Johnsson, Brown, Kapanen, Sandin. They’re definitely not scared of trading away young players while they have value. Oilers seem terrified of it.

Robertson is from the same draft year as Broberg and is only 78 days younger… give me a break on this point of your argument. It’s sad to try that take.

Broberg has also had injuries which has slowed his development.

Broberg is a defenceman. Defensemen are known to take longer to develop. Broberg has actually played fine at an NHL level for what should be expected at this point of his career.

Would you take a 3rd rounder for Robertson. If not, then your point of trading Broberg for a 2nd rounder doesn’t align.

Oilers have traded Samorukov (that’s how we got Kostin), Reid Schaefer (Ekholm), Ethan Bear (Foegele), Caleb Jones (Keith)… so I’m not really sure how the Leafs and Oilers differ when it comes to trading away younger guys.

I think you just don’t know the Oilers as well as you think you do or you just like to make things up to make yourself feel better about your own teams shortcomings.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Robertson is from the same draft year as Broberg and is only 78 days younger… give me a break on this point of your argument. It’s sad to try that take.

Broberg has also had injuries which has slowed his development.

Broberg is a defenceman. Defensemen are known to take longer to develop. Broberg has actually played fine at an NHL level for what should be expected at this point of his career.

Would you take a 3rd rounder for Robertson. If not, then your point of trading Broberg for a 2nd rounder doesn’t align.

Oilers have traded Samorukov (that’s how we got Kostin), Reid Schaefer (Ekholm), Ethan Bear (Foegele), Caleb Jones (Keith)… so I’m not really sure how the Leafs and Oilers differ when it comes to trading away younger guys.

I think you just don’t know the Oilers as well as you think you do or you just like to make things up to make yourself feel better about your own teams shortcomings.

Broberg has played twice as many games.

Also, yes, I would be fine with a 3rd for Robertson if he continues this production for an entire season, he's been injured the last 2. Most of the fanbase wants to trade him already.

The point of the game is to get players that contribute, not hold out until the player is 25+ waiting for potential.

The Leafs traded Sandin because he was a defencemen who couldn't defend. Sandin was drafted 1 year prior to Broberg and the much better defenseman. I don't think that was the wrong move either. He went into Washington, put up 15 points in 19 games and was -7. When you're trying to win, those kinds of players (net negative) are not of value to you. Maybe Washington can wait for him to develop his game, hence why they gave a 1st round pick for him.

• Haha
Reactions: PuckG

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Also, yes, I would be fine with a 3rd for Robertson if he continues this production for an entire season, he's been injured the last 2. Most of the fanbase wants to trade him already.

The point of the game is to get players that contribute, not hold out until the player is 25+ waiting for potential.

The Leafs traded Sandin because he was a defencemen who couldn't defend. Sandin was drafted 1 year prior to Broberg and the much better defenseman. I don't think that was the wrong move either. He went into Washington, put up 15 points in 19 games and was -7. When you're trying to win, those kinds of players (net negative) are not of value to you. Maybe Washington can wait for him to develop his game, hence why they gave a 1st round pick for him.
Broberg's had a swath of injuries that have slowed his development as well. Cant use injuries for one guy and not the other.

Reactions: zar

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

There you are playing weak assed semantics again, “twice as many games”. Broberg 69 games, Robertson 31 games. In a big picture context, virtually the same NHL experience.

69 NHL games for a 22 year old defenceman is nowhere near a long enough sample size to say exactly what the player is. Broberg has not developed as fast as you would hope for a 8OA pick but he also has not progressed out of the norm for a (just turned) 22 year old dman. He has looked solid when playing against lesser NHL players and has struggled a bit when playing higher quality competition… something you could say about nearly any/every 20/21 year old defensemen still learning the game.

If he turns out to be “just” a solid second pairing defenceman… I think most would be perfectly fine with that, provided he is being paid accordingly. That is not an asset I feel should be traded away unless you are in a win now position and you are trading for a upgraded asset with experience. If that type of offer comes up then, yes, the Oilers should consider the move. For a second round pick… not a fn chance.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Broberg had some nice moments (in spurts) last year. So even though the Oilers may want to shift their role players around on D, unless he’s responsible for them losing games the first half of this coming season, he needs to play. Not only do they need to play him, they need to give him opportunities to play some important minutes, to really see where he’s at.

That all said with the idea that he also earns his spot. If he’s outplayed in camp, and he doesn’t start the season in the top 6, maybe they do look at moving him.

Bouchard just proved the rewards of not giving up on a talented player too soon. Something Holland rarely does btw. Broberg needs NHL reps though. If come January, he’s not looking like he’ll play a role in the playoffs, maybe then they think of moving him. Wouldn’t do it for a rental though. It would have to be for a player the Oilers want to retain.

His future really is going to be determined this season. If he takes a nice step, he’s not going anywhere.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Unless there is an opportunity to get an impact player the Oilers need to be patient with Broberg. He does show some good potential. It is too early to know exactly what Broberg is as of yet. I remember how bad Oscar Klefbom was when he started in the NHL although he was kind of thrown to the wolves. The Oilers need to develop and have prospects take roster spots, they can't completely rely on trades and UFA's to fill every position in the cap world.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Broberg had some nice moments (in spurts) last year. So even though the Oilers may want to shift their role players around on D, unless he’s responsible for them losing games the first half of this coming season, he needs to play. Not only do they need to play him, they need to give him opportunities to play some important minutes, to really see where he’s at.

That all said with the idea that he also earns his spot. If he’s outplayed in camp, and he doesn’t start the season in the top 6, maybe they do look at moving him.

Bouchard just proved the rewards of not giving up on a talented player too soon. Something Holland rarely does btw. Broberg needs NHL reps though. If come January, he’s not looking like he’ll play a role in the playoffs, maybe then they think of moving him. Wouldn’t do it for a rental though. It would have to be for a player the Oilers want to retain.

His future really is going to be determined this season. If he takes a nice step, he’s not going anywhere.
The trouble with that comparison is Bouchard was *excellent* from the moment he stepped into the league. He had a defined role, and a defined skillset, and did those things exceptionally well from the word go. Broberg has been all over the place. He's looked great in spots, he's looked terrible in spots, he gets healthy for a few weeks, then he gets dinged up, and has to start back at square one and now his choices are to play the off side and hope to be one of a small handful of defencemen that are actually good on their off side, or play 8 minutes a night in an 11-7 system.

The chances of a Broberg trade biting the Oilers in the ass are decent, but it almost doesn't matter. If there's a trade out there that can help the Oilers cup chances around Broberg, I think they should take it. Hard no to dealing him for something stupid like a 2nd and a prospect though, that's silly.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The trouble with that comparison is Bouchard was *excellent* from the moment he stepped into the league. He had a defined role, and a defined skillset, and did those things exceptionally well from the word go. Broberg has been all over the place. He's looked great in spots, he's looked terrible in spots, he gets healthy for a few weeks, then he gets dinged up, and has to start back at square one and now his choices are to play the off side and hope to be one of a small handful of defencemen that are actually good on their off side, or play 8 minutes a night in an 11-7 system.

The chances of a Broberg trade biting the Oilers in the ass are decent, but it almost doesn't matter. If there's a trade out there that can help the Oilers cup chances around Broberg, I think they should take it. Hard no to dealing him for something stupid like a 2nd and a prospect though, that's silly.
Bouchard’s retrieval skills were pretty bad going into last year. His first decision in retrieval was even worse, and he was a second behind making decisions…. So he took a major step, showing he’s probably going to run a pair pretty effectively at this level. He still has those brain farts but they’re more because he’s trying to do too much at times. That will get better as he further matures.

You’re right about Broberg being more “all over the place” with his mistakes, injuries, etc. If it’s not one thing, it’s the other. If it’s two steps forward, it’s a step back in another area. The flashes are there though. Some of it could be maturity, being afraid to make mistakes, etc, but the overall game is there to be a very solid player.

That doesn’t mean he ever puts it together but you have to give him that opportunity this season, before thinking of moving him. At least I think so.

Obviously if there’s a deal out there tonight that gives them a piece for the next couple of years, who’s going to help them much more, they have to really think about doing it.

My problem is when Kenny gets in those moods to make a change like this, they’ll end up giving Broberg up for Ben Chiarot. A player prone to make huge mistakes… He will sell a player like Chiarot as if he’s Ekholm 2.0 too. Making sure we all understand Detroit retained for the next couple of years and how he’s going to be a big contributor, etc, etc. That they just made the decision Broberg wasn’t quite ready yet, “but got a great player in return.” Meanwhile Broberg goes to Detroit and puts it together rather quickly and next summer people wish for that trade back.

I’ve seen Holland do it more than not. For every Schneider, Chelios and Brad Stuart he went and got, there was a Mironov (or two), Kyle Quincey and several others who really didn’t make an impact, but he sold them to the fan base as impact players.

I guess it’s the chance you take with Kenny and he’s not getting any younger. I just think they need to be careful on this one. Broberg has the tools to bite you pretty badly. To be fair to Kenny, he did trade Anders Erikkson in that Chelios deal and he was supposed to be a really good dman. So it does work sometimes, but I’d say with Kenny, flip a coin.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Broberg's positioning is always solid. He knows how to stay on the right side of the puck. He blocks the forecheckers out. Yet he's not physically developed enough to fight for the territory he knows should be his and he isn't confident enough because he realizes this. The game in Edmonton is quick offensive transition so the outlets available for a young defenseman are limited.

I'm convinced Woodcroft is the worst of the worst coaches for Broberg's development. He insists on quick puck movement from the second control of the puck is gained to identifying the breakout. Other well coached teams take advantage of the lack of support or structure.

Woodcroft's defensive coverage is a stupid brand of man-on-man hockey that demands the defesemen battle and chase the forward the defenseman identifies as his man.

Vegas identified this and took the Oilers apart by having the Oilers defencemen chasing inside their own zone until a seam opened up to the slot... great success for Vegas and tears for the Oilers.

Woodcroft has a tremendous regular season record because of his superstars but he is a really bad coach for the playoffs. The teams the Oilers beat in the playoffs is 100% determined by the Oilers having better players on the ice and it has absolutely nothing to do with strategic structure.

If Broberg went to a team that is renowned for strong positional hockey inside of a sound defensive system Broberg will take off and become a top 4 defenceman. Then Holland looks like a fool on the back of Woodcroft's system being anything but sound positionally defensive oriented hockey.

The best offseason move the Oilers could make is finding a new head coach. It could even be someone with little experience that plays a more structured game. The second best offseason move the Oilers could make is dependant on the first move. Finding players who excel at playing a structured game under a coach who demands accountability to structure and player positioning.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Bumping this back...

For the record, I like Broberg and I feel he can become a quality top 4 d-man. I just don't believe our current coaching staff will ever give him the opportunity. Gets benched after one mistake and sent back down to the minors while other players suffer zero consequences for shitting the bed. Probably needs to be traded away from this crap.

Looking for a similarly aged player who is looking for a change of scenario. Very similar to the Kostin/Samorukov trade last year. Not looking for multiple mid round draft picks for him.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Bumping this back...

For the record, I like Broberg and I feel he can become a quality top 4 d-man. I just don't believe our current coaching staff will ever give him the opportunity. Gets benched after one mistake and sent back down to the minors while other players suffer zero consequences for shitting the bed. Probably needs to be traded away from this crap.

Looking for a similarly aged player who is looking for a change of scenario. Very similar to the Kostin/Samorukov trade last year. Not looking for multiple mid round draft picks for him.
So uh...Broberg or Bouchard for sale you think?

Also, gonna be interesting to see how attitudes have changed since June/July regarding Broberg/Bouchard after this start

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad