Value of: Philip Broberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I love how you using a Dubas trade as the rationale for trading Broberg .50 to the dollar is why I’m wrong and you’re right lmao.

You lost Sandin for nothing. You lost in the 2nd round. We don’t want to make that same mistake. We have other moves we can make to acquire things at the deadline.

How did Toronto lose Sandin for nothing? They got a 1st round pick.

You've already been making that mistake. You literally lost Kostin, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi for nothing. That's three first round picks from 2016 & 2017. For all 3, you got one prospect back who's now a free agent. :laugh:

Puistola is a free agent now because Edmonton didn't sign him. So yes, absolutely nothing for 3 1st round picks from 2016 & 2017. Great asset management. Keep holding that potential.

Yet, you're saying Toronto lost players for nothing because they got a 1st? :laugh:

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Holland said Broberg would not be traded this summer. The team has slow played him. This year I expect he will actually get playing time to see where he is at as a player. Also every team needs at least 7 solid Nhl dmen. I dont see any reason for the Oilers to trade him now when 1- they dont know what they have and 2- his value would be low

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

You've already been making that mistake. You literally lost Kostin, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi for nothing. That's three first round picks from 2016 & 2017. For all 3, you got one prospect back who's now a free agent. :laugh:

Puistola is a free agent now because Edmonton didn't sign him. So yes, absolutely nothing for 3 1st round picks from 2016 & 2017. Great asset management. Keep holding that potential.

Yet, you're saying Toronto lost players for nothing because they got a 1st? :laugh:

Take a walk. Oilers aren’t moving Broberg for a 2nd. If he’s part of a bigger package he’s definitely available. Good luck with your future choking. If only MLSE could pay for a Championship!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Take a walk. Oilers aren’t moving Broberg for a 2nd. If he’s part of a bigger package he’s definitely available. Good luck with your future choking. If only MLSE could pay for a Championship!

If only the Oilers could. A historic PP isn't good enough to get that team more than 6 playoff wins.

I get it, you prefer getting nothing for your prospects instead. That seems to be the Oilers way.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007

Totally! Because every Leafs draft ever has worked out. Stupid Oilers

Reactions: capazzo

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What problems hasn't he addressed? He brought in Hyman, Kane and Brown to help our anemic winger status. The first 2 are on good deals for their production. The latter, we will see. He traded for Matthias Ekholm to help shore up the blueline and that deal has looked excellent so far. He brought in good depth defensemen in Kulak, Ceci and Keith (even if he wasn't what he used to be). Aside from bungling the goalie situation by signing Campbell and giving Nurse a couple million too much, he has been pretty good.

That’s Nurse situation aka contract was partly the result of knowing Klefbom was done too. If Klefbom was healthy Nurse wouldn’t have that cap hit. Nurse is a couple million too much. Campbell is the only crippling move at the moment. I still hope we sort that out

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
From the Oilers POV, imo, he only gets moved in a package to upgrade Ceci or in net. He's not really going to be sent for futures and we won't get a top 6 forward at the same cap hit.

Essentially would need to be something like:
Broberg, Ceci + for a Top 4 RD
Broberg, Campbell + for a Goalie

Salaries will obviously need to match.

Yeah. This is pretty much the only way a Broberg deal makes any sense to me.

If he's being added for a significant upgrade at a critical spot like G or Top-4 RHD...sure. Maybe he's the piece that makes that work.

Otherwise, he's too useful to Edmonton as a guy on a cheap rookie deal, who has actual upside and headroom beyond what he currently is. No reason for a team in Edmonton's position to move that guy unless they're making a clear, major upgrade at one of their various weak points.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Just pointing out a flaw in your logic here. If the Oilers lost Yamamoto and Pulujarvi for nothing, then you have to acknowledge that they got Kostin for nothing, so it isn't exactly three 1st round picks we lost for nothing. It's 2 first round picks, and a nothing. Considering the state of the league and how hard it is to move space, moving Pulujarvi for nothing was a win, and moving Yamamoto with the only cost being a guy we couldn't afford to keep was frustrating but understandable.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Makar's contract is right up there with Draisaitl's for "worst in the league" in terms of the value the player got for their talent. It's not really fair to compare any contract to the best value ones in the league. Regardless, Makar wasn't the comparable to the Nurse deal as he was an RFA at the time it was signed. The comparable to the Nurse deal that were signed at the same time are Seth Jones, Zack Werenski and Dougie Hamilton. I would still take Nurse over Jones any day of the week, and Hamilton is taller Tyson Barrie. Werenski is the only one of the four who is good enough for their contract, but injuries have hurt his production.

Regardless, if you factor in the $2M that Nurse is overpaid, and compare it to the guys we have that are on good deals (Draisaitl, Hyman and Nuge all far outperformed their deals this season), we're still out ahead. The real issue last year wasn't Nurse's deal as much as it was Campbell's contract (paid 5M and AHL results), and a lack of quality performing ELC players.
That's a problem that a lot of team have.
When you got 2 superstars (Mcdavid & Drasaitl)
It's toff for a gm to put good players with them.
Colorado, Tampa bay, Toronto have this problem too.
Due to cap situation When a players over 7 M don't perform as he should. It put the team in bad situation. Look Toronto with Tavares. A GM position is not easy. The problem when he signed Nurse
He give too much money and Nurse don't perform like a 9.5M Defensmen.
I think NHL and NHLPA should check to have 1 contract per team identified (Franchise players)
And this guy doesn't count on salary cap. It can help if a gm give a bad contract.
Just imagine Edmonton with 12M more to signed a Goalie and 2 others players just wow and no one will talk about Nurse contract.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Uh...

TML First Rounders....
2019 - left with a broken down dman (Muzzin)
2020 - gave away 13OA (Seth Jarvis) to get rid of the Marleau contract
2021 - traded away 25OA (Corson Ceulemans) to acquire Noesen and Foligno... both no longer with the TML
2022 - gave away to get rid of Mrazek contract... did get back a 2nd round pick (Fraser Minten) who had a very meh season and very underwhelming playoff as a D+1 player.
2023 - traded away 25OA (Otto Stenberg) to acquire Ryan O'Reilly who signed with the Preds as a UFA.
2024 - still owned by the TML but will probably have to attach it to Murray to trade away that boat anchor of a contract
2025 - traded away with other prospects to acquire Jake McCabe and Sam Lafferty

In a nutshell... the Leafs have traded away 6 first round picks for 1 playoff series win and only have McCabe and Lafftery left to show for it. Sorry, they did have some regular season success as well.

Stellar asset management.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

that sandin trade was another one of Dubas' stupid ass mistakes. for Gustafsson who no showed and a late 1st, whoopeee. Sandin got hot after that trade what did Gustafsson do? 'crickets'

Nstar to Wild

Oct 13, 2022
Minnesota
These value threads always seem to go off the rails. Per Edmonton fans, it sounds like he will not be moved (still need 7 defenseman) and they seem to value his upside. However, there's still the question of how he's valued by the other teams. My guess is probably a 2nd or early 3rd (probably wrong?).

Why do people make these threads so complicated?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Can not recall where I was reading it, but a comment about broberg potentially being available at some point to improve the Oilers team. May have had something to do with Konecny I don't know. The jist was that he was developing slower than the Oilers needed him to and as such might be available to help improve the team faster than his development was allowing for.

So simple question.

What is he worth in a trade? 22 year old; 6 foot 3, 200 pound LHD that hasn't exactly progressed in their development the fastest.
he has more value to the oilers than what they can get for him right now

Reactions: Nstar to Wild

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Uh...

TML First Rounders....
2019 - left with a broken down dman (Muzzin)
2020 - gave away 13OA (Seth Jarvis) to get rid of the Marleau contract
2021 - traded away 25OA (Corson Ceulemans) to acquire Noesen and Foligno... both no longer with the TML
2022 - gave away to get rid of Mrazek contract... did get back a 2nd round pick (Fraser Minten) who had a very meh season and very underwhelming playoff as a D+1 player.
2023 - traded away 25OA (Otto Stenberg) to acquire Ryan O'Reilly who signed with the Preds as a UFA.
2024 - still owned by the TML but will probably have to attach it to Murray to trade away that boat anchor of a contract
2025 - traded away with other prospects to acquire Jake McCabe and Sam Lafferty

In a nutshell... the Leafs have traded away 6 first round picks for 1 playoff series win and only have McCabe and Lafftery left to show for it. Sorry, they did have some regular season success as well.

Stellar asset management.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

The difference is, the Leafs fired the GM that did all that. That GM got the red carpet rolled out for him in Pittsburgh. I doubt Holland would get the same treatment from any team. The NHL teams might view it differently than you.

According to you, Dubas is horrible at asset management and success. That deserves the highest contract for an executive from another NHL team and a promotion, one week after being fired.

Edmonton, meanwhile, is probably thinking of promoting Holland for dumping Kostin, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi for nothing.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
According to you, Dubas is horrible at asset management and success. That deserves the highest contract for an executive from another NHL team and a promotion, one week after being fired.

Trusting for Kyle Dubas in maybe the biggest illusion at hockey.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba

Uh, the Oilers didn't draft Kostin.. They acquired him for basically nothing.

Also, you would think Leafs fans would know better than to trash another teams draft history...

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Uh, the Oilers didn't draft Kostin..

Also, you would think Leafs fans would know better than to trash another teams draft history...

I never said they drafted him, they just lost him for nothing as is usual for Oilers players under RFA contracts.

I suggested trading Broberg while they can get something for him (unlike their other 1st rounds in Yamamoto and Puljujarvi) but I guess it feels better when they leave for free.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The difference is, the Leafs fired the GM that did all that. That GM got the red carpet rolled out for him in Pittsburgh. I doubt Holland would get the same treatment from any team. The NHL teams might view it differently than you.

Edmonton, meanwhile, is probably thinking of promoting Holland for dumping Kostin, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi for nothing.

“Fired him”… yeah, good one.

What a make beleaf world some people live in.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
“Fired him”… yeah, good one.

What a make beleaf world some people live in.

I’d never been fired before,” Dubas told this year’s graduates of his alma mater, Brock University, on Wednesday.

“That was my first time, hopefully my last, but I’ll probably get that same conversation again at some point. That’s life and the way that it goes.”

Even Kyle Dubas claims he was fired.

However, your reality is your own and no one can change it. I don’t know what to tell you, but it’s a different reality from the rest of us.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
He’s at the point where the Oilers should just keep him in case he hits his potential

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Kostin was not an Oilers pick. Impressive knowledge. I mean what does Leafs have former top-10 pick Nick Ritchie?

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Kostin was not an Oilers pick. Impressive knowledge. I mean what does Leafs have former top-10 pick Nick Ritchie?

I never said Kostin was an Oilers pick. I said he’s another recent first round pick the Oilers lost for nothing.

He’s one of the few that had value at the time, so go figure they had to trade him to unload the Oilers 1st round pick in the same draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad