Value of: Philip Broberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Nah, his value is maybe a 2nd to a team that really values him, or a third round pick for the average team.

Sandin was basically a more talented Broberg and got Boston's 1st in a historic season, which is basically a 2nd round pick. Sandin also showed way more talent than Broberg has so far.

Sandin is like 5'11" 180 lbs. Maybe talent wise they are similar. But I think theres probably still some teams that covet Brobergs size and tools.

I dont think theres anyway the Oilers trade him for a second.

But maybe mid first is too generous.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Sandin is like 5'11" 180 lbs. Maybe talent wise they are similar. But I think theres probably still some teams that covet Brobergs size and tools.

I dont think theres anyway the Oilers trade him for a second.

But maybe mid first is too generous.

Okay, and?

Karlsson is 6’ 190 lbs. Maybe Broberg is worth more than him because he’s taller and heavier. Am I doing this right?

They are not similar talent wise. Broberg has shown nothing in the NHL. Sandin at Broberg’s age (1 year ago) was a better player than Broberg is today. Broberg’s entire value is basically ‘future potential’, which is the same value a draft pick has. Except Broberg has made 0 strides since his draft. There’s no way a team is trading a 1st for him and his career high 8 points. Sandin had 15 points with Washington… in 19 games, yet they’re similarly talented? Sandin is a better player than Broberg today, no question.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Nah, his value is maybe a 2nd to a team that really values him, or a third round pick for the average team.

Sandin was basically a more talented Broberg and got Boston's 1st in a historic season, which is basically a 2nd round pick. Sandin also showed way more talent than Broberg has so far.
Your logic is backwards buddy. A 1st in a historic draft would be a top10 pick most years. Not that difficult

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Your logic is backwards buddy. A 1st in a historic draft would be a top10 pick most years. Not that difficult

Your reading is backwards buddy. I did not say the draft was historic, I said the Bruins season was historic, making it a very low 1st rounder. Not that difficult.

Reactions: YP44

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Your reading is backwards buddy. I did not say the draft was historic, I said the Bruins season was historic, making it a very low 1st rounder.
So you're saying a 28th pick in a historic draft year is equal to a 2nd most years....sure thing lol

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
So you're saying a 28th pick in a historic draft year is equal to a 2nd most years....sure thing lol

What makes it a historic draft year? I've never seen anyone claim it was a historic draft.. other than maybe... you?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Lol literally everyone. If you paid attention you may have noticed

I don't think you know what historic means. it's not even the best draft class in the past decade, let alone 'historic'.

Secondly, a top 10 protected pick in a draft with let's say hypothetically 3 great players does not make the value of the 28th pick higher.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If you actually don't know this is one of the deepest drafts in almost a decade there's no point talking with you on a hockey forum. Common Divine L

'One of the deepest' (not even the deepest) in a decade (10 years) is not even close to historic. This also is not the deepest in a decade. Historic would be something like, the deepest draft of all-time.

Show me someone, other than you, that has said that.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Deepest in a decade is not historic. This also is not the deepest in a decade. Historic would be something like, the deepest draft of all-time.

Show me someone, other than you, that has said that.
Not sure why the Bruins having a historic year means anything when at worst you draft 32nd.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Not sure why the Bruins having a historic year means anything when at worst you draft 32nd.

I said the Bruins 1st was traded when they were having a historic season and like 20+ points up on every team.

That obviously made it on the weak end of 1st round picks, closer to a 2nd.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
lets keep it easy Sandin>Broberg.
Sandin got a late first so Broberg should get ____.

Edmonton should keep him to see if a team overpays at the deadline.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
lets keep it easy Sandin>Broberg.
Sandin got a late first so Broberg should get ____.

Edmonton should keep him to see if a team overpays at the deadline.
Like I said that fellow Oilers fans laughed at.
Broberg is worth a second round pick.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Probably a 2nd round pick right now. He is a #7 d that is capable of playing decent bottom pair minutes if heavily sheltered.
He mostly has the same question marks about him as he did when he was drafted but is still young.
Management sees him as being more valuable but I don’t think other teams do.
For this I don’t think he gets traded although I think his value only continues to drop from here.

His value would be as part of a package for a player with more experience and at a reasonable cap #. I wouldn't have an issue with him starting on our 3rd pairing but there has been some talk that he might start off as the RD on our 2nd pairing. I am not a fan of that idea in a season where our goal should be cup or bust.

Opinions vary along the lines of how patient a fan is of young D men. Some feel he is right on schedule and has high upside. Some feel he should be showing more by now, especially the vaunted offensive talent that has been largely absent from view so far. Broberg has a lot of tools. Great size and very smooth wheels. Not overly physical but doesn’t shy away. He is already quite solid defending the rush. Rarely if ever gets walked. Positionally we have questions about his head for the game. Either he has the brain CPU to figure it out or he doesn’t. He hasn’t had enough reps for us to know yet.

He’s been developed properly (quite refreshing for the Oilers actually) so I personally would not trade him now as I think the investment is about to pay good dividends. I would value him no worse than a mid 1st round pick. Some would feel less than that. Like a second round pick value.

Given how cash strapped the Oilers are I think Holland plans to keep him with the hope that he pushes Kulak off the third pair. He can play RH side in a pinch as well. He’s also good depth if there are injuries as the pipeline is getting quite bare.

ElPrimeTime pretty much nailed the only scenario in which trading him would make sense.

He does not have the hands or brain to make it as a top pairing guy in the NHL. Probably not as a solid second pairing guy you'd want on a contender either.

Skates great, but has horrific balance. Horrific hands. Non-existence confidence. Holland has said he is not being traded and he will be given a full shot at playing this year, which I assume means in every game with regular minutes up until the TDL.

I doubt he has much value in the league at this point. Spend some time watching him play and see his max potential is a third pairing guy. You can't teach someone to make smart plays with the puck or be creative.

Point is he's not getting traded, close the thread.

Okay, and?

Karlsson is 6’ 190 lbs. Maybe Broberg is worth more than him because he’s taller and heavier. Am I doing this right?

They are not similar talent wise. Broberg has shown nothing in the NHL. Sandin at Broberg’s age (1 year ago) was a better player than Broberg is today. Broberg’s entire value is basically ‘future potential’, which is the same value a draft pick has. Except Broberg has made 0 strides since his draft. There’s no way a team is trading a 1st for him and his career high 8 points. Sandin had 15 points with Washington… in 19 games, yet they’re similarly talented? Sandin is a better player than Broberg today, no question.

Let's look at this logically.
He has basically slightly declined more neutral tbh.
Has upside but ceiling is definitely less than sky's the limit hope of day 1 when drafted.
Coupla elc yrs burned off, so...
best case scenario he is presently a late 1st ballpark.

IMO he is not as bad as some above have suggested
BUT
while things COULD click overnight, there is reason to be cautious
pay
modestly overpay if in proper currency BUT no more than modestly at most.

NYR are mostly not a fit, with 2, possibly 3 exceptions:
1. setting aside working out cap balance to nth degree at sq 1, IF Trocheck would agree to waive to play top 6 w/McDrai, etc that could work as a base.
But not seeing him doing that since he took a little less to come here. If a young lefty shot D who plays either side, cheap playmaker type, we can add Zac Jones.

2. Other option is something around Lindgren
We need to sell high on him to force younger Robertson + Scanlin to get more mins.
The prob there is I see other deals as better return for NY.

3. So that leaves a large deal for LaF
atm, we should keep w/kid line, which should be promoted to 1st line = mo mins, better results, etc

Howev, if enough profit on the table, Rs should be open to moving.
Any suitor must acknowledge first yr + 3/4 LaF sucked big due to inferior skating and lack of finding chemistry. Skating is now fully par and kid line demonstrates real chemistry. So no to equal value. His upside is emerging as a Steve Vickers type.
If you want him, he commands more than that to give us a reason, and more still if Rs are gambling by taking futures.
And remember, Flames need to add given players want exodus.
Habs say no, but they didn't step up on PLD, so don't be too sure.
There WILL be competitive bids if he goes to market, and Rs will take best return of most assets, but in preferred currency. If a suitor does not have pref cur, ce la vie.

That said:
LaF + Harpur + Jones + Leschsyhyn (2 yrs hair over 766k, can be buried)
for
Broberg + Holloway + McLeod + Lavoie rfa rights + 2024 1sts

4 players for 4 players + a pick

Sure Oil don't want to pay that but that is what it would take

Gives EDM some D replacement, 1 cap dump who might make 4th line, and LaF who is a foundation piece.

Rs gamble, see Broberg as add w/Scanlin + Robertson as we sell high on Lindy.

McLeod was on waivers [or am I confusing him w/his brother?], so expect Oil ok moving on; for NY 4th liner adding speed.

Holloway is righty speed, could work opposite Kreider

Lavoie has done nothing but has phys tools, can take a flyer on him

+ late pick

something like that

Superlative Soup

Lights too bright
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Let's look at this logically.
He has basically slightly declined more neutral tbh.
Has upside but ceiling is definitely less than sky's the limit hope of day 1 when drafted.
Coupla elc yrs burned off, so...
best case scenario he is presently a late 1st ballpark.

IMO he is not as bad as some above have suggested
BUT
while things COULD click overnight, there is reason to be cautious
pay
modestly overpay if in proper currency BUT no more than modestly at most.

NYR are mostly not a fit, with 2, possibly 3 exceptions:
1. setting aside working out cap balance to nth degree at sq 1, IF Trocheck would agree to waive to play top 6 w/McDrai, etc that could work as a base.
But not seeing him doing that since he took a little less to come here. If a young lefty shot D who plays either side, cheap playmaker type, we can add Zac Jones.

2. Other option is something around Lindgren
We need to sell high on him to force younger Robertson + Scanlin to get more mins.
The prob there is I see other deals as better return for NY.

3. So that leaves a large deal for LaF
atm, we should keep w/kid line, which should be promoted to 1st line = mo mins, better results, etc

Howev, if enough profit on the table, Rs should be open to moving.
Any suitor must acknowledge first yr + 3/4 LaF sucked big due to inferior skating and lack of finding chemistry. Skating is now fully par and kid line demonstrates real chemistry. So no to equal value. His upside is emerging as a Steve Vickers type.
If you want him, he commands more than that to give us a reason, and more still if Rs are gambling by taking futures.
And remember, Flames need to add given players want exodus.
Habs say no, but they didn't step up on PLD, so don't be too sure.
There WILL be competitive bids if he goes to market, and Rs will take best return of most assets, but in preferred currency. If a suitor does not have pref cur, ce la vie.

That said:
LaF + Harpur + Jones + Leschsyhyn (2 yrs hair over 766k, can be buried)
for
Broberg + Holloway + McLeod + Lavoie rfa rights + 2024 1sts

4 players for 4 players + a pick

Sure Oil don't want to pay that but that is what it would take

Gives EDM some D replacement, 1 cap dump who might make 4th line, and LaF who is a foundation piece.

Rs gamble, see Broberg as add w/Scanlin + Robertson as we sell high on Lindy.

McLeod was on waivers [or am I confusing him w/his brother?], so expect Oil ok moving on; for NY 4th liner adding speed.

Holloway is righty speed, could work opposite Kreider

Lavoie has done nothing but has phys tools, can take a flyer on him

+ late pick

something like that
Deal

Reactions: bernmeister

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Holland give a very bad contract to Darnell Nurse same year than Makar and got more money.
Due to this He can't fixed what missing in his team

You think Nurse contract is good ???
Goalie situation to addressed.
Makar's contract is right up there with Draisaitl's for "worst in the league" in terms of the value the player got for their talent. It's not really fair to compare any contract to the best value ones in the league. Regardless, Makar wasn't the comparable to the Nurse deal as he was an RFA at the time it was signed. The comparable to the Nurse deal that were signed at the same time are Seth Jones, Zack Werenski and Dougie Hamilton. I would still take Nurse over Jones any day of the week, and Hamilton is taller Tyson Barrie. Werenski is the only one of the four who is good enough for their contract, but injuries have hurt his production.

Regardless, if you factor in the $2M that Nurse is overpaid, and compare it to the guys we have that are on good deals (Draisaitl, Hyman and Nuge all far outperformed their deals this season), we're still out ahead. The real issue last year wasn't Nurse's deal as much as it was Campbell's contract (paid 5M and AHL results), and a lack of quality performing ELC players.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This is exactly why they would explore trading him.

In 2 years, Draisaitl will be a UFA (or re-signed) and McDavid will be on the last year of his contract. I think it's fair to assume both get significant raises, especially Draisaitl. Which is why they are trying to win it all within the next 2 seasons.
You say they should trade him then say it’s for a 2nd lmao. Yeah that makes 0 sense.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You say they should trade him then say it’s for a 2nd lmao. Yeah that makes 0 sense.

How does that make no sense? That's what happens to cap-crunched teams. At the deadline, they trade players and/or draft picks for rentals.

A second can get you a decent retained rental. Luke Schenn was acquired for a 3rd round pick at the TDL. Luke Schenn last season was a better player than Broberg.

What part of it doesn't make sense to you?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
How does that make no sense? That's what happens to cap-crunched teams. At the deadline, they trade players and/or draft picks for rentals.

A second can get you a decent retained rental. Luke Schenn was acquired for a 3rd round pick at the TDL. Luke Schenn last season was a better player than Broberg.

It's a lateral move which begs the question - why?
Why not just trade him directly for that same rental they'd otherwise get for a 2nd? What's the incentive exactly?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017

Let’s trade away a guy we’ve been patient with and have hopes for, for a 2nd that I can trade for Luke Schenn. And you are wondering why it makes no sense?

Edmonton keeping Broberg on his next cheap deal and hoping he develops into that 3/4 we still envision him being, is worth more to us than another teams 2nd

Reactions: PuckG and Warh1ppy

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
So to sum up. a 2nd and a 3rd. a 3rd and a b prospect or untested roster player, or out with a contract for cap space for a mid round pick?

Is that kind of summing it up? Just judging by the comments.

If so the Oilers are better off keeping him and squeezing every possible ounce out of him before they decide it's not worth it anymore.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Let’s trade away a guy we’ve been patient with and have hopes for, for a 2nd that I can trade for Luke Schenn. And you are wondering why it makes no sense?

Edmonton keeping Broberg on his next cheap deal and hoping he develops into that 3/4 we still envision him being, is worth more to us than another teams 2nd

You're right. Let's keep the guys with potential like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and if it doesn't work out, we can give them away for free and get nothing.

That is the Ken Holland hoarding special, I guess the fans (at least you) like it too. Seriously, Puljujarvi was asking for a trade forever. He even left the NHL in hopes of getting a trade while he had value. Ken Holland said nope, we love your potential. They wait and wait until he's worthless and then give him away.

If Carolina wasn't obsessed with Finnish players, Edmonton would have had to pay an asset to get rid of him, just like Yamamoto.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
The usuals will probably complain. His value is higher to Edmonton currently than it is around the league. He still needs to grow into his potential and Edmonton would likely not fetch a great return for him alone, he is someone you’d add in a package to try and get a value player

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
You're right. Let's keep the guys with potential like Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and if it doesn't work out, we can give them away for free and get nothing.

That is the Ken Holland hoarding special, I guess the fans (at least you) like it too. Seriously, Puljujarvi was asking for a trade forever. He even left the NHL in hopes of getting a trade while he had value. Ken Holland said nope, we love your potential. They wait and wait until he's worthless and then give him away.

If Carolina wasn't obsessed with Finnish players, Edmonton would have had to pay an asset to get rid of him, just like Yamamoto.
I love how you using a Dubas trade as the rationale for trading Broberg .50 to the dollar is why I’m wrong and you’re right lmao.

You lost Sandin for nothing. You lost in the 2nd round. We don’t want to make that same mistake. We have other moves we can make to acquire things at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad