Value of: Philip Broberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Back to Broberg...

Can we identify a few comparable players that were traded for a pick to establish the value ?

1- Entering D+5
2- 0.15 PPG in the NHL (0.7 in the AHL)
3- Notable skills in transition/skating
4- Questionnable/Inconsistent play in D zone

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Take a walk. Oilers aren’t moving Broberg for a 2nd. If he’s part of a bigger package he’s definitely available. Good luck with your future choking. If only MLSE could pay for a Championship!
Oily probably should not trade Broberg for a 2nd. But at this stage, that is likely his value.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Don’t think a 3rd pairing guy has much value, much less for the flyers star players

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Maybe to the Habs for a 2nd plus a b prospect like Adam Engstrom
I don't see the Habs having interest in paying for a D prospect that has very little upside. With Barron / Reinbacher / Mailloux, the Habs have good young talent on the way. Xhekaj will also likely play RHD next season and into the future.

And as it is, Broberg is a declining B-prospect as it is.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Uh...

TML First Rounders....
2019 - left with a broken down dman (Muzzin)
2020 - gave away 13OA (Seth Jarvis) to get rid of the Marleau contract
2021 - traded away 25OA (Corson Ceulemans) to acquire Noesen and Foligno... both no longer with the TML
2022 - gave away to get rid of Mrazek contract... did get back a 2nd round pick (Fraser Minten) who had a very meh season and very underwhelming playoff as a D+1 player.
2023 - traded away 25OA (Otto Stenberg) to acquire Ryan O'Reilly who signed with the Preds as a UFA.
2024 - still owned by the TML but will probably have to attach it to Murray to trade away that boat anchor of a contract
2025 - traded away with other prospects to acquire Jake McCabe and Sam Lafferty

In a nutshell... the Leafs have traded away 6 first round picks for 1 playoff series win and only have McCabe and Lafftery left to show for it. Sorry, they did have some regular season success as well.

Stellar asset management.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Ouch

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Very aware of that.

Again, just asking what the PERCEIVED value is. Not if he'd be traded or where he'd go, just what the quality of return would be.
The guy just turned 22. Plays D. Big, strong, skates very well. Cant see any reason for the Oilers to trade him right now when he hasnt been given any real opportunity to develop or show what he is capable of at the Nhl level. At times he looks great. He wont be a big point producer at the Nhl level. Im thinking his upside is a Jay Bowmeister kind of Dman. And I would be thrilled with that. All that being said if he was being traded on his own right now I would expect him to bring a late first or early second or equivalent.

I don't see the Habs having interest in paying for a D prospect that has very little upside. With Barron / Reinbacher / Mailloux, the Habs have good young talent on the way. Xhekaj will also likely play RHD next season and into the future.

And as it is, Broberg is a declining B-prospect as it is.
He just turned 22 with very little opportunity at the Nhl level. Also missed a lot of time due to injury. Has all the attributes to be a great second pair shutdown Dman. Your take is absolute nonsense.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The guy just turned 22. Plays D. Big, strong, skates very well. Cant see any reason for the Oilers to trade him right now when he hasnt been given any real opportunity to develop or show what he is capable of at the Nhl level. At times he looks great. He wont be a big point producer at the Nhl level. Im thinking his upside is a Jay Bowmeister kind of Dman. And I would be thrilled with that. All that being said if he was being traded on his own right now I would expect him to bring a late first or early second or equivalent.

He just turned 22 with very little opportunity at the Nhl level. Also missed a lot of time due to injury. Has all the attributes to be a great second pair shutdown Dman. Your take is absolute nonsense.
I am 100% correct . Broberg is a declining B prospect. Former 1st rounder who is in his D+5 season and yet to secure a role on a team that is notorious for poor defense.

If he doesn’t make inroads this season his prospect status turns to bust.

Reactions: DingerMcSlapshot

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Very aware of that.

Again, just asking what the PERCEIVED value is. Not if he'd be traded or where he'd go, just what the quality of return would be.
other teams will value him low based upon what they have seen him do and not what they think he will do. He was a top 10 pick and has played the 2nd fewest games of all other top ten picks. At the time time of the pick, a few of us believed the oilers thought they had Seider locked up till the Wings took him and they to Broberg in a knee jerk reaction without thinking. Oiler board knows I love my Swedes and this pick perplexed me at the time. I had him 10 to 15 picks later. At the time he was compared to Klefbom and I said he was a poor mans Klefbom. Saw both play in the draft year and comparing them is like night and day. This was Hollands first draft as Oiler GM but unlike many on the oiler board, I see more misses then hits and not taking Wallstadt killed me. The oiler draft of 2019 is shaping up to be crap, we have already lost Konovalov(To Russia) and Blumel(who we either did not whant sign or he did not want to sign with the oilers--depending on the source) and the later picks of Mazura and Denehkin are completely unknown and from what little we know are long shots to make the NHL. That leaves Broberg and Lavoie to carry the flag from the 19 draft. Lavoie will be a guy I think who will break oiler fans hearts. He has looked very good some nights in the AHL and an ECHL on other nights,

I am 100% correct . Broberg is a declining B prospect. Former 1st rounder who is in his D+5 season and yet to secure a role on a team that is notorious for poor defense.

HE needs to show something sooner than later

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think the greatest problem on the site are threads like these. Someone asks for the value of a player and the home team fans claim he is worth a ton or won't be traded and opposing fans claim he sucks and is basically worth nothing.

Will Broberg go for as little as a 2nd? Extremely unlikely. He is the best D Prospect the Oilers have and they've spent a ton of time and effort developing him. He's suffered some injuries that have held him back, but I still don't think taking that into consideration Broberg is as far along in development as the Oilers would like.

Does that mean he won't be traded? No.

He isn't slated as a bottom pairing D. However he IS playing behind Nurse and Ekholm so the Oilers can either play him in the bottom pairing or keep Kulak there and slide Broberg over to the right side. Not ideal for a guy looking to break out in the NHL.

Holland has stated he doesn't want to deal Broberg but the team needs to improve on the right side and having a young player play very limited minutes in the bottom pairing or tougher minutes on his off side isn't ideal in terms of development. Holland acknowledged this too.

So where are the Oilers and Broberg? We don't really know. Right now it looks like he is penciled in to start with the big club at the start of the season.

What is his worth in a trade? Like always, what another team is willing to pay. One thing is for certain, fans on this site are wrong most of the time when predicting trades (myself included).

Reactions: zar

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
All this talk about Broberg for a 2nd this year makes zero sense. He makes $863K a year and if the Oilers are that cash strapped, they would look to trade Kulak first.

Now, could Broberg be traded after this year for a 2nd or some mid pick... absolutely. But unless he's part of a package that makes the Oilers better this season, he doesn't get traded.

Reactions: TFHockey

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Unless Nurse/Ekholm go down with an injury; Broberg won't be seeing any significant minutes this season either.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
How did Toronto lose Sandin for nothing? They got a 1st round pick.

You've already been making that mistake. You literally lost Kostin, Yamamoto, and Puljujarvi for nothing. That's three first round picks from 2016 & 2017. For all 3, you got one prospect back who's now a free agent. :laugh:

Puistola is a free agent now because Edmonton didn't sign him. So yes, absolutely nothing for 3 1st round picks from 2016 & 2017. Great asset management. Keep holding that potential.

Yet, you're saying Toronto lost players for nothing because they got a 1st? :laugh:

It’s actually worse than that.

2016 Oilers had Targeted Matthew Tkachuk with the #4 pick.

The flames were trying to acquire the #3 pick from Columbus to guarantee they’d get Tkachuk.

Edmonton was all set to draft him until Columbus decided to draft Dubois leaving Poolparty available.

Can you imagine.

Tkachuk McDavid Draisatl.

It’s even worse than giving up on the #4 let alone #1 Failed Yakupov.

Everyone should watch the 2015 Draft. Watch the look in Mcdavids eyes when Katz is giving him his big bullshjt love island esque proposal.

Edmonton just doesn’t understand the draft.

Unless Nurse/Ekholm go down with an injury; Broberg won't be seeing any significant minutes this season either.
Nurse should be traded for a 7th round pick to any dummy willing to take that contract.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It’s actually worse than that.

2016 Oilers had Targeted Matthew Tkachuk with the #4 pick.

The flames were trying to acquire the #3 pick from Columbus to guarantee they’d get Tkachuk.

Edmonton was all set to draft him until Columbus decided to draft Dubois leaving Poolparty available.

Can you imagine.

Tkachuk McDavid Draisatl.

It’s even worse than giving up on the #4 let alone #1 Failed Yakupov.

Everyone should watch the 2015 Draft. Watch the look in Mcdavids eyes when Katz is giving him his big bullshjt love island esque proposal.

Edmonton just doesn’t understand the draft.
No mention of the Oilers taking the consensus #4 pick in 2014 at #3?
Imagine Bennett McDavid Puljujarvi?

The draft is full of mistakes by every single team

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I'm far from Broberg's biggest fan, but this isn't accurate. He's performed very well against lesser competition. He's simply buried by depth on Edmonton's left side.

An analytically inclined team might look at his underlying numbers and wonder how he'd perform on a team with need on the left side.

"Notorious for poor defence" is also inaccurate. Edmonton was quite good in that area, particularly after the Ekholm acquisition. I think Edmonton sees a fair bit of Nurse in him, who took quite a few seasons to get going and they have similar strengths.

Edmonton should be looking at a guy like Valimaki as well, as a cautionary tale to not give up on a guy too early.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Even Kyle Dubas claims he was fired.

However, your reality is your own and no one can change it. I don’t know what to tell you, but it’s a different reality from the rest of us.

Didn't his contract run out tho and they just didn't renew ? In a way it's similar to being fired but he completed his contract so it's not fired

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Unless that B stands for bluechip, no, you're wrong. B prospects are generally late 1sts or over achieving mid-round picks. Mailloux is a B prospect.

Broberg been a slow progressing prospect, partially due to injuries, but he's had a consistent uptick in production year over year, taking on more responsibility as he's improved. There was no point where his game declined.

He's well ahead of a player like Mailloux who isn't known for his defensive game at all. If Mailloux doesn't have immediate success offensively in the NHL, his stock will freefall. Broberg is a low ceiling, high floor prospect who likely settles into a second pair within the next two or three seasons. He's a low event defenseman.

Zero reason for Edmonton to deal him though. He's cheap and his development path leads him to replace Ekholm at the end of his deal.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Didn't his contract run out tho and they just didn't renew ? In a way it's similar to being fired but he completed his contract so it's not fired

His contract did not run out. He was fired while still under contract. He even got hired by a new team while still under the Leafs contract (hence why Pittsburgh needed permission).

Any way you spew it, he was fired. It wasn't like he walked away, the team fired him.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
His contract did not run out. He was fired while still under contract. He even got hired by a new team while still under the Leafs contract (hence why Pittsburgh needed permission).

Any way you spew it, he was fired. It wasn't like he walked away, the team fired him.

If it makes you feel better… yes, after the Leafs contract extension OFFERS for this guy they “didn’t want” fell short of the said delinquents demands, he was “fired”. Now let’s talk about Broberg and his value.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
If it makes you feel better… yes, after the Leafs contract extension OFFERS for this guy they “didn’t want” fell short of the said delinquents demands, he was “fired”. Now let’s talk about Broberg and his value.

Finally, you understand what a firing is.

The team didn't value Dubas and his results as much as Dubas thought they did - hence, he was fired.

I guarantee you Dubas is still working for the Leafs if the Leafs won the Stanley Cup during his tenure, or even multiple rounds.

Okay, back to the #7D - either trade him for a second round pick while he's young and has 'potential' or lose him for nothing when he's older and no longer has potential seems to be the options for him.

• Haha
Reactions: TFHockey and zar

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Unless that B stands for bluechip, no, you're wrong. B prospects are generally late 1sts or over achieving mid-round picks. Mailloux is a B prospect.

Broberg been a slow progressing prospect, partially due to injuries, but he's had a consistent uptick in production year over year, taking on more responsibility as he's improved. There was no point where his game declined.

He's well ahead of a player like Mailloux who isn't known for his defensive game at all. If Mailloux doesn't have immediate success offensively in the NHL, his stock will freefall. Broberg is a low ceiling, high floor prospect who likely settles into a second pair within the next two or three seasons. He's a low event defenseman.

Zero reason for Edmonton to deal him though. He's cheap and his development path leads him to replace Ekholm at the end of his deal.
LOL, the B will soon stand for bust if he doesn't make a significant impact this season. D+5 is the the end of the rope. After that, players are pretty much cut/loose. At D+5 Broberg's 1st round status is irrelevant. He has a very low ceiling and his floor is remaining low given the lack of progress. Every team has an underperforming late-age prospect like Broberg who's potential is waning.

No one is claiming Mailloux to be a high-end prospect. At least they shouldn't. But he's still a prospect with a fair amount of potential. IF he's in his D+5 season and still hasn't made any progress in the NHL, then i will be the first call him a pending bust. But he's only going into his D+3 season so he has time to make inroads. I see him getting some NHL games this season and a good shot at a full time role the season after. But he's far from a guarantee.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad