Value of: Philip Broberg

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
There was a HUGE contingent of Broberg detractors in his draft year. People saw him as all tools and no toolbox type and they were right. He doesn’t have the IQ or pace for this game.

On that note, why the hell do scouts still get so jazzed about big bodies when the IQ isn’t there and it’s apparent to many? The rate at which highly drafted big bodies underperform is just one big red flag flapping in the breeze.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He'd likely do well on a team that could give him an opportunity on a game to game basis. I also think that none of our D have been especially good defensively under Dave Manson's coaching so that's something to keep in mind for teams looking for a potential bargain.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Broberg’s value is in a trade with a team with a similar profile and problem. A High pick that’s not working out and needs a change of scenery.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Honestly it doesn't change the fact that your offers to the Oilers are not setting then for an upgrade this season. You are selling hope, the Oilers had enough dealing with hope in the decade of darkness. We want upgrades!
Were the LaF thing to be on the table, that would happen to be an upgrade now [in that atm LaF has mo upside now than Holloway].
But in addition to value is currency.
On top of trading partner having to work around your zero level of cap elbow room, you want better to higher end guys, and YOU are not offering an incentive to go there. Which is fine, since NY can only cut so much before it gets to the bone.

Trouba won't waive and Schneider goes nowhere
We have no righty shot replacements for either
closest is Zac Jones, lefty shot, plays RD w/def +s and -s.

You have some pieces w/potential, but which currently are not kickin it.
Unlike LaF, where we could identify the prob [skating] and solve it [in process], Brob + Hol are ?s.

So again, you want/need to be in win now, fine.
There are limited matches for NYR
likes of Kreider, KAM are not available.
Deal w/it.
But this is parallel to where other clubs also are.
Deal w/it x 2

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The only BS is you trying to deny it. To name two, You did it repeatedly with Kravstov and now you’re doing it with Laf.
You are embarrassing yourself w/LaF, which I have refuted w/clear and accurate explanation.
You are entitled to your opinion, not a reinvention of the facts.

As to Krav, yes, but in my defense he was one of the most effed up, mishandled prospects ever. Kid comes out of Russia, and per EdJovo has stats to suggest he is a bigger, possibly better version of Panarin.
And while I said ok on his selection, it is clear the guy I wanted was Dobson.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
From the Oilers POV, imo, he only gets moved in a package to upgrade Ceci or in net. He's not really going to be sent for futures and we won't get a top 6 forward at the same cap hit.

Essentially would need to be something like:
Broberg, Ceci + for a Top 4 RD
Broberg, Campbell + for a Goalie

Salaries will obviously need to match.
Problem is no one wants Ceci or Campbell cap hits and both of them are mediocre players. The plus has to be something good to offset the negative value and Broberg is not enough

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
A lot of us in Nashville were really dreaming of getting Broberg in the Ekholm deal. I think I might have even suggested he'd be better than Schaeffer+1st. But Edmonton fans were very adamant about wanting to keep Broberg.

Are we better off now with Molendyk+Schaeffer? :dunno:

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
Were the LaF thing to be on the table, that would happen to be an upgrade now [in that atm LaF has mo upside now than Holloway].
But in addition to value is currency.
On top of trading partner having to work around your zero level of cap elbow room, you want better to higher end guys, and YOU are not offering an incentive to go there. Which is fine, since NY can only cut so much before it gets to the bone.

Trouba won't waive and Schneider goes nowhere
We have no righty shot replacements for either
closest is Zac Jones, lefty shot, plays RD w/def +s and -s.

You have some pieces w/potential, but which currently are not kickin it.
Unlike LaF, where we could identify the prob [skating] and solve it [in process], Brob + Hol are ?s.

So again, you want/need to be in win now, fine.
There are limited matches for NYR
likes of Kreider, KAM are not available.
Deal w/it.
But this is parallel to where other clubs also are.
Deal w/it x 2
Oilers need an upgrade at D and in net. Not interested in wingers. Just face the facts bern the Oilers and Rs are not good trading partners

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
Toronto-Nick Robertson plus 2024 3rd round pick
Edmonton-Broberg plus 2024 5th round pick
Leafs get a depth defensman/project, Oilers get a guy who can possibly add some middle six offense. The picks offset Brobergs higher value.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Oilers need an upgrade at D and in net. Not interested in wingers. Just face the facts bern the Oilers and Rs are not good trading partners

fair enuf
LaF for Hol+++ would be an immediate upgrade to Hol, but that is W, only helps as to moving secondary pieces and clearing room

and as I have said, LaF on the open market, esp now, likely to get better offers.

Unless Blues make Para available and you are willing to pay that price, and ditto for maybe Gibson from ANA, not seeing instant upgrade opportunities as you are seeking.

If you admit Bro currently has low value, and thus you're not getting like KAM for Bro ++++ from anybody, you can choose from multiple lateral moves, which given EDM situation, can't hurt.
I personally would have already gotten better coaching etc to develop my players. But that is water under the bridge.

something like
Jones + Lindbom + Domingue
for
Broberg + Holloway + Lavoie

2 D cancel, swap of 2 Gs for 2Fs
Jones can skate. His positional D/hockey sense is fine. But he's 5'11, 175 lbs
best paired w/a big body.

Lindbom got off to slow start here contract wise, etc, but is doing ok. We drafted him 39OA b'c our G guru Allaire said to. Would be emergency depth option who might compete in the near term.

Domingue we saw 2 POs ago w/Pens, did well vs Rs.
Has experience.
It's a gamble, but a cheap one.
Skinner needs help, Cambell sucks.
Lateral, but cost is low and you can see if you get lucky w/Para etc

Rs will take potential those 3 might hit and we have good enuf G depth

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
fair enuf
LaF for Hol+++ would be an immediate upgrade to Hol, but that is W, only helps as to moving secondary pieces and clearing room

and as I have said, LaF on the open market, esp now, likely to get better offers.

Unless Blues make Para available and you are willing to pay that price, and ditto for maybe Gibson from ANA, not seeing instant upgrade opportunities as you are seeking.

If you admit Bro currently has low value, and thus you're not getting like KAM for Bro ++++ from anybody, you can choose from multiple lateral moves, which given EDM situation, can't hurt.
I personally would have already gotten better coaching etc to develop my players. But that is water under the bridge.

something like
for

Lindbom got off to slow start here contract wise, etc, but is doing ok. We drafted him 39OA b'c our G guru Allaire said to. Would be emergency depth option who might compete in the near term.

Has experience.

That’s just absolutely terrible for Edmonton and you know this. How many first round picks are you adding from the rangers?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the hype is real that Broberg is a future franchise dman, then the Oilers can ask a haul for him.

jackp0t

Jun 7, 2009
There was a HUGE contingent of Broberg detractors in his draft year. People saw him as all tools and no toolbox type and they were right. He doesn’t have the IQ or pace for this game.

On that note, why the hell do scouts still get so jazzed about big bodies when the IQ isn’t there and it’s apparent to many? The rate at which highly drafted big bodies underperform is just one big red flag flapping in the breeze.

I agree and in some cases they are just tall and not exactly big. Broberg has good reach but thats about it, not a physical player at all and borderline shy so his size is kind of pointless.

He's fast going north/south however he doesnt have great mobility/agility so in a lot of situation his skating is below average. Especially for a D man, you rather have that smooth skating like Karlsson or Makar than just straight line strenght.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That’s just absolutely terrible for Edmonton and you know this. How many first round picks are you adding from the rangers?
zero, none nada zippo

you may expect similar offers from other clubs
no team has an obligation to do any favors
the 3 you are surrendering have min current value
so they will not command much now

you can wait, and see if there is upside later
and that could change things

but if you want immediate help
you will have to pay fair value + something to make it worthwhile

what Oil ask, higher end help is not available
this is what can be had

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
zero, none nada zippo

you may expect similar offers from other clubs
no team has an obligation to do any favors
the 3 you are surrendering have min current value
so they will not command much now

you can wait, and see if there is upside later
and that could change things

but if you want immediate help
you will have to pay fair value + something to make it worthwhile

what Oil ask, higher end help is not available
this is what can be had
There’s nothing fair with what your asking for in return of 3 run of the mill players
Not one thing

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
fair enuf

something like
for

Has experience.

Much like all of your proposals it sucks and very one sided, Oilers would be better off buying lottery tickets to fund the team.

Oilers and Rangers do not make good trading partners much like you don't make good proposals

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You hate to give up on him, but maybe they have to, just to bring in a player who can help them win over the next 2-3 years. It won’t be anything special but they really needed Broberg to perform early in the season. He’s clearly not taken any step forward (over the summer) they would’ve liked to have seen.

So his trade value isn’t what you’d like but there’s likely still some teams who would have interest in his future, who have a solid dman, who they can move at around (or under) a $3 million price tag, AND be willing to retain.

Detroit and Carolina come to mind. While I’m not sure DeAngelo is any answer, maybe an Olli Maatta from Detroit could be. That’s probably the best case scenario to bring in a player who can help for the immediate future, and not worry about the cap. The problem is, he’s been pretty good again for Detroit this year. Would Detroit consider it, thinking Broberg can be their #7 this year, or thinking they can develop him better in Grand Rapids, calling Edvinsson up and sitting Petry most nights? Maybe they would. Right now, they’re either going with 7 D, or scratching a solid NHL dman every game. Petry has been their #7 so far, but both Maatta and Holl have also been scratched. It has been pretty obvious though, that Petry is the man who’s going to sit most. Edvinsson is more than ready too. So they are likely to move a dman, and it’s likely going to be Maatta, who has no trade protection at all.

Or… do the Oilers just hope Broberg turns a corner in Bakersfield? This really has been the worst case scenario for Broberg and the Oilers, to start the season.. Sending him down is the last thing they wanted to see happen. Yet they’ve had to do it.

Coming into the season, they hoped he’d be good enough to play every night, and hopefully (the team) was having a good enough season, they could start giving him more important minutes leading up to the deadline. To see if he could be trusted come the post-season.

That’s not how it’s played out. Far from it. I think they really do have to start thinking about moving him for someone who can help them now. The cap and the way the season is going, may force them to part ways… if they want to improve their blueline. You also need a team to retain, on whoever would be coming to Edmonton. That would even out the trade value in many cases. Like it would have to do, to get a player like Maatta.

It’s crazy how the Leafs and Oilers keep having these same exact problems. Goaltending, cap issues, coaching changes coming, and searching for dmen who can help them for cheap, and finding creative ways to improve their blueline.

I’ve always liked Broberg’s skill set. I’ve also always questioned his compete level some though. Not only his compete level during a game, but even competing to be a better player. You expect your young players to work on things over the summer and arrive to camp, better than they ended the previous season. It’s never been the case with him. That’s probably why I’d be more willing to pull the plug at this point. I hate trading away young dmen, but if they want to improve this team, they might have to.

They’re in a messed up situation. They don’t have many options to make this team better. They have to be creative to do so. They also may have to make a trade, giving away a player they don’t really want to, for a lessor price than anyone would normally think… because they’ll need that retention.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I dont know if you have bothered to check his stats, so I'll help you
olof.jpg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
He has good size and speed but just seems weak and unassertive. Maybe it's a condense thing or maybe it's just what he is. His value is probably low around the league so I'd rather just keep him and let him develop a little longer.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Oilers should hold onto Broberg, once Woodcroft is fired and they bring in a coach who’s fair yet patient with younger players and gets the biggest forward group of cherry pickers to commit to the back, he’ll have the opportunity and support to improve.
Oh yeah for sure, if the Oilers fire woodcraft they'll definitely be bringing in a coach focused on prospect development lol

This is why is dumb that Edmonton has been making 1st rounders while fashioning themselves as contenders. If you're a legit contender you should pretty much never make a first round selection. There's almost no chance they'll contribute meaningfully during your window. Tampa gets it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad