Perron suspended 6 games for crosscheck to the face on Zub - Mod warning Post #590

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Hardly a punch. Roughing is correct. End result is due to second player and extremely unfortunate. Perron was the moron deserving lengthy suspension.

I mean not saying it was a punch because semantics are dumb

You realize the penalty they call for a gloved punch to the face is "Roughing" right?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
At the moment Joseph is initiating the shove, Perron backs into, or is pushed into Joseph. Joseph's strike goes higher than intended.
I don't think Perron bumping into him has very much impact, if any, on where Joseph sends his hands. He aimed high and followed through high.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Punch a guy in the side of the head/neck area and he stumbles, gets up, is fine. Nothing much happens.

Punch a guy in the side of the head/neck area and he stumbles, hits his head, is not fine. Up shit creek.

Outcomes usually matter in things. For whatever reason the league decided this is the one case where outcomes don't matter.

Reactions: frankiess

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Punch a guy in the side of the head/neck area and he stumbles, gets up, is fine. Nothing much happens.

Punch a guy in the side of the head/neck area and he stumbles, hits his head, is not fine. Up shit creek.

Outcomes usually matter in things. For whatever reason the league decided this is the one case where outcomes don't matter.

Joseph didn't intend to injure Larkin. Perron intended to injure Zub. That's the difference, that's what Perron got ejected for. Not a 5 min for crosschecking, but 5 min for intent to injure. The outcome meant nothing here.

The only place the outcome really matters is interference. Where the rules state a match penalty if an injury results from it.

Reactions: Alex1234

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
I am literally talking about what happened before Perron crosschecked Zub.

And I'm talking about the entire sequence of events, no one from the Sens went after anyone from the Wings even after Perron cheapshotted arguably the Sens first or second most important(depending on who you ask) defender right in the head, the entire focus was on Larkin's well being.

This is all besides the point and off topic, any and all the decision makers have already decided that no Ottawa Senator will receive any supplementary punishment in addition to what they received yesterday night, and I don't think Wings fans whining about it is going to change that.

Perron, on the other hand, was the only malicious actor in that sequence of events and hopefully he gets handed the appropriate punishment.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Intent plays a big role too. It's a mess in front of the net, he's making a play on the body of a player making a play on the puck. The execution is poor and there should be some level of accountability but they are usually more forgiving on plays that are less egregious. That combined with the fact that another player makes incidental contact with the player, it's creates obscurity.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
What a silly argument. Joseph didn't intend to injure Larkin. Perron intended to injure Zub. That's the difference, that's what Perron got ejected for. Not a 5 min for crosschecking, but 5 min for intent to injure.
Doesn't matter. You take a risk when you engage in negligent behavior, ie punching a guy in the back/side of head. You can't be certain of the outcome and if the outcome goes sideways you ought to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Perron is going to get 5 games or so for his crosscheck, largely because Zub was mostly unaffected.
Had Perron ended Zub's career, his own might be in jeopardy.

Joseph got 2 minutes for initiating a series of events through his negligent behavior that will likely cause another player to miss significant time beyond what has already been missed. Wanting or not wanting to injure a player is largely irrelevant.

It's just more instances of the NHL having absolutely zero consistency in any way, shape, or form.

Reactions: frankiess

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
This is all besides the point and off topic, any and all the decision makers have already decided that no Ottawa Senator will receive any supplementary punishment in addition to what they received yesterday night, and I don't think Wings fans whining about it is going to change that.
You could apply this logic to this entire website. Nothing we say on here matters to what happens in the game, but we talk about it anyway.

Regardless, my issue is with the current standard of the rules made by the NHL, and that they should do more in terms of punishing infractions to the head, in addition to harsher suspensions in general. Maybe Joseph gets a few games in a league where actual malicious plays consistently receive double-digit suspensions, but maybe not.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
So, when is Joseph's hearing for the second time he's attempted to injure Larkin?

Well Lalonde said the refs did a really good job with their analysis, communicated very well, and probably got the calls right. Maybe some of these more intelligent posters here should let the head coach know he is wrong and it was a intent to injure.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Well Lalonde said the refs did a really good job with their analysis, communicated very well, and probably got the calls right. Maybe some of these more intelligent posters here should let the head coach know he is wrong and it was a intent to injure.
I mean as a Wings fan I didn't see any other way to go with the penalties.

Honestly, it was probably overkill. The way it should've probably been deemed was 5 and misconduct for Perron and 2 for roughing for Joseph. But, with the optics of Larkin in the home barn it would've been a nuthouse if it went down like that.

Reactions: Mr Hat

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yeah Larkin forgave Joseph for about 0.25 seconds before sucker punching him the first time. But Joseph deserved it that time, not relevant at all to this play.

There is a very detailed breakdown showing Sens players doing more to at least wave the medical staff over. The Wings players on the ice should all be ashamed of themselves, truly a pathetic lack of support for their captain.

Hopefully when the emotions settle down the blinders will come off and we can worry about Larkins recovery, and that this hyper sensitivity to impact doesn't end his career early. He is a talented player, hate to see it on any team, even one whose fanbase is as intolerable as the Leafs.
I think you replied to the wrong person. I have no idea what you're on about.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It'd be a shorter list of things to discuss with Lalonde on matters he's right about.

Reactions: OneMoreTry

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Did I say that? People acting like Joseph sucker punched Larkin and knocked him out. If kellys not there at that exact moment nothing happens.

Or maybe this is a possible consequence of bashing someone in the back of the head exactly like Joseph did, regardless of whether that's convenient for the narrative of old-time hockey

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Or maybe this is a possible consequence of bashing someone in the back of the head exactly like Joseph did, regardless of whether that's convenient for the narrative of old-time hockey
This is the last time im going to comment on anything that isnt about Perrons actions, but it was a benign play. If Kelly isn't there it probably goes unpenalized but a roughing penalty might have been warranted.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
So, when is Joseph's hearing for the second time he's attempted to injure Larkin?
Go make a thread about it then lol. I don't understand how people just have to do the whole whataboutism thing instead of just discussing the topic at hand.

Anyways, Spezza got 6 games for a much less aggressive and flagrant retaliation, so I'd hope (but not expect) Perron to get at least that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Go make a thread about it then lol. I don't understand how people just have to do the whole whataboutism thing instead of just discussing the topic at hand.

Anyways, Spezza got 6 games for a much less aggressive and flagrant retaliation, so I'd hope (but not expect) Perron to get at least that.
I watched a guy two hand another guy in the helmet this year, obviously Perron had more blatant ntent to injure, but I'm not about to predict what that former and probably current goon heading the dpos will do.

Reactions: Korpse

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I watched a guy two hand another guy in the helmet this year, obviously Perron had more obvious intent to injure, but I'm not about to predict what that former and probably current goon heading the dpos will do.
yeah hence me saying I don't expect it.

Reactions: Ezekial

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
He went after a guy who just came back from a concussion and injury to that side of his head, with deliberate intent to injure him - according to the refs - with a crosscheck to the same area. Thankfully, Zub has worn ear guards ever since the injury or it could have been a lot worse.

If Pinto gets 41 games for doing nothing, he should be suspended for the rest of the season, if not indefinitely.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Joseph didn't intend to injure Larkin. Perron intended to injure Zub. That's the difference, that's what Perron got ejected for. Not a 5 min for crosschecking, but 5 min for intent to injure. The outcome meant nothing here.

The only place the outcome really matters is interference. Where the rules state a match penalty if an injury results from it.
The two Sens players punching Larkin in the head were not trying to injure him........ this is the level we have fallen to around here.

• Haha

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The two Sens players punching Larkin in the head were not trying to injure him........ this is the level we have fallen to around here.
Kelly punched larkin in the face too? I'm excited to see how this story telling evolves by the time they play again.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Perron crosscheck was gutless, brutal, and the kind of clear, intent to injure, play the league should absolutely bring the hammer down on. I can't imagine it happens, but I'd have NO issue with ten games even. It was unambiguous chickenshit and dirty.

I was watching the game and in-game I genuinely wondered whether Larkin just collapsed. It was really scary, there was a scrum in front of the net and all of a sudden he's out cold, and face down. Watching the replay, he gets it a bit up high from Joseph (which people can debate the greasiness of) but he gets knocked out falling into Kelly. No issue with the roughing calls on those, but they're on a completely different planet than what Perron did.

People keep saying it was the Kelly hit but when you look at Joseph’s hit to the back of the head at live speed (instead of slow motion replays), it’s much more violent.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He went after a guy who just came back from a concussion and injury to that side of his head, with deliberate intent to injure him - according to the refs - with a crosscheck to the same area. Thankfully, Zub has worn ear guards ever since the injury or it could have been a lot worse.

If Pinto gets 41 games for doing nothing, he should be suspended for the rest of the season, if not indefinitely.
Acting like Perron had any idea about that or took it into consideration :laugh:

DOESN'T JOSEPH KNOW LARKIN HAS HAD A SERIOUS NECK INJURY AND HE SHOULDN'T TAKE SHOTS AT HIS HEAD AND NECK?!?!?!

Get outta here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad