Perron suspended 6 games for crosscheck to the face on Zub - Mod warning Post #590

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yes, one is demonstrably worse seeing as how a guy lied motionless on the ice for minutes.
The end result was very unfortunate, but if you truly think Joseph's play was worse than Perron's play, there's simply no arguing because you see the game differently from me.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
A two-handed “shove” to the head isn’t remotely allowed.

Jesus Christ.

The shove Joseph gave is a 2 minute penalty at worse. "Allowed" in this context means not suspendedable. It looks like a player trying to clear the front of the net and Larkin was a bit bent over.

In no way should Joseph get anything more than the 2 minutes hes already served.

Reactions: RyCam

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
No, the brain isn't generally in danger when a high stick occurs.

NHL players are paid to play a fast sport. If they have harsher penalties for headshots then they will adjust or someone else will.
I seem to remember Pronger’s career ending on a high stick that resulted in an eye injury and concussion

If players can’t take the possibilities of having their head jostled or even hit hard then they should step away from the game. They knew what they were getting into when they made the NHL. They are well compensated for the risks. Maybe the money they make isn’t much to you but I’d gladly brave the risks they do to make the salary they make. They don’t really have my sympathy if they think Joseph’s contact was a travesty. I’d hate to see what you think of boxing and mma

Reactions: RyCam

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I seem to remember Pronger’s career ending on a high stick that resulted in an eye injury and concussion

If players can’t take the possibilities of having their head jostled or even hit hard then they should step away from the game. They knew what they were getting into when they made the NHL. They are well compensated for the risks. Maybe the money they make isn’t much to you but I’d gladly brave the risks they do to make the salary they make. They don’t really have my sympathy if they think Joseph’s contact was a travesty. I’d hate to see what you think of boxing and mma
This is just wild.

If you can’t take head shots and being knocked unconscious, you shouldn’t play in the NHL…

What an incredibly horrible take.

Reactions: JBeast and TS Quint

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What do you think "generally" means?
"They knew what they were getting into" is an argument that has been used from even before helmets became mandatory.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
The shove Joseph gave is a 2 minute penalty at worse. "Allowed" in this context means not suspendedable. It looks like a player trying to clear the front of the net and Larkin was a bit bent over.

In no way should Joseph get anything more than the 2 minutes hes already served.
You’re seeing what you want to see, full stop.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
The end result was very unfortunate, but if you truly think Joseph's play was worse than Perron's play, there's simply no arguing because you see the game differently from me.
Yes, when I see a guy get sucker punched and lie motionless for several minutes, I will assume that is worse than a reactive cross check. The cross check was bad, but guess what, Zub didn’t crumple motionless. This is as black and white as it gets.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
It was indeed. Enough time passes that it was not a blind reaction. Target identified and eliminated.

“Premeditated” would be if Perron planned the cross-check before the game.

And I want to reiterate: Perron deserves a multi-game suspension for the cross-check. I’m not defending him in any way.

I’m gonna stop here; I won’t write a third post arguing semantics and basic definitions of words.

Reactions: TS Quint

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yes, when I see a guy get sucker punched and lie motionless for several minutes, I will assume that is worse than a reactive cross check. The cross check was bad, but guess what, Zub didn’t crumple motionless. This is as black and white as it gets.
Because zub didn't get knocked out. He could have very easily. He's calling for your training and Perron the Courageous goes at him with a 2 hander.

One has an in person hearing, the other has no hearing at all, that should tell you a lot.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
What do you think "generally" means?

"They knew what they were getting into" is an argument that has been used from even before helmets became mandatory.
Of course the argument has always been there. The players are perfectly entitled to pull a Calvin Johnson if they are worried about their long term health. Personally I think the players probably embrace being known as a professional athlete in a tough, rugged sport like hockey. I seem to recall few wanting to remove fighting

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
When you assume……

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Sucker punch is bad, I can think of some recent examples that resulted in suspensions. No sucker punches occurred in this incident.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
Because zub didn't get knocked out. He could have very easily. He's calling for your training and Perron the Courageous goes at him with a 2 hander.

One has an in person hearing, the other has no hearing at all, that should tell you a lot.
Doesn't matter, people will call the refs blind, the nhl biased and the excuses will repeat ad nauseum. People are just looking for someone to be mad at, and for some Joseph is an easy mark.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Of course the argument has always been there. The players are perfectly entitled to pull a Calvin Johnson if they are worried about their long term health. Personally I think the players probably embrace being known as a professional athlete in a tough, rugged sport like hockey. I seem to recall few wanting to remove fighting
Again, nothing you are saying addresses my specific argument about hits to the head that are already illegal in this "tough rugged" version of hockey that you prefer.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
You know there are replays of the play, right?

Reactions: Alex1234

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

No one is defending Perron lol. Yeah, and guess what? The Department of Player Safety gets these things wrong daily, that is why there is daily outrage and daily threads about putrid hits that need to be removed from the game.

You know there are replays of the play, right?
Yep! They look really bad!

Doesn't matter, people will call the refs blind, the nhl biased and the excuses will repeat ad nauseum. People are just looking for someone to be mad at, and for some Joseph is an easy mark.
He literally knocked a guy out, and targeted the same player once before.

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
No one is defending Perron lol. Yeah, and guess what? The Department of Player Safety gets these things wrong daily, that is why there is daily outrage and daily threads about putrid hits that need to be removed from the game.

Yep! They look really bad!

He literally knocked a guy out, and targeted the same player once before.
Thats the thing, Joseph did not in fact knock anyone out.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Again, nothing you are saying addresses my specific argument about hits to the head that are already illegal in this "tough rugged" version of hockey that you prefer.
Well let’s see if the players are outraged by Joseph’s penalty. I don’t believe we would hear a peep if the unfortunate result didn’t happen, and I still don’t think we’ll be hearing players calling for Joseph’s head either way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad