Perron suspended 6 games for crosscheck to the face on Zub - Mod warning Post #590

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Punching people in the back of the head/neck in front of the net has never warranted more than a rough, this is true

It's also ridiculous, for exactly this reason
I mean, it’s not like Joseph wound up and cold clocked him. That type of punch has always been frowned upon. Hockey is a contact and semi-gladiatorial sport, and that is part of its appeal. If we are solely focusing on just Joseph’s actions in a vacuum and saying that is a dangerous play, then the player on the receiving end shouldn’t be medically cleared to play. It was the chain of events that led to the unfortunate result. No individual action was egregious or malicious

Reactions: Auston Marlander

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
What happened to Larkin? I've watched a few vids and don't see what knocked him out? Is he okay?

Brutal play by Perron. I didn't see what zub did at all to deserve that.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Punching people in the back of the head/neck in front of the net has never warranted more than a rough, this is true

It's also ridiculous, for exactly this reason

Hardly a punch. Roughing is correct. End result is due to second player and extremely unfortunate. Perron was the moron deserving lengthy suspension.

Auston Marlander

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
No idea on that link dude.

seems like you are doing the first sentence in this next bit.

Sure the Kelly contact was an accident but the Joseph hit to the back of the ehad is what put him in that position right?

You are right here

It's like he didn't see Zub getting up and his captain on the ice at the 11 second mark?

Get real here.

No one is saying that what Perron did was right in fact he should and will get punished but look at the tape and tell me that Larkin lying on the ice wasn't going through Perrons head?
Not sure what happened to that link. But this is who brought up "classless". How many games will Perron get for this crosscheck to the face on Zub? (Perron offered in-person hearing)

But Joseph did nothing wrong, a shove infront of the net is allowed.

So you're saying that anytime a player is on the ice, another player without seeing what happened should react, specially in a way that could injure someone? You're really saying not knowing what happened is a reason to go after the first person you see?

If I hit you in the head but didn’t intend to injure you but you ended up injured would that be an accident?

Don't reach too hard, you might pull something

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Hardly a punch. Roughing is correct. End result is due to second player and extremely unfortunate. Perron was the moron deserving lengthy suspension.

lol okay so it's not a cross-check, it's not a punch either, I'm guessing we're going to graduate to "Joseph actually didn't make contact with Larkin at all" in a couple pages

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
lol okay so it's not a cross-check, it's not a punch either, I'm guessing we're going to graduate to "Joseph actually didn't make contact with Larkin at all" in a couple pages

Roughing called properly shockingly.

This is literally the opposite of premeditated. Agreed otherwise.

It was indeed. Enough time passes that it was not a blind reaction. Target identified and eliminated.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Hockey is a contact and semi-gladiatorial sport, and that is part of its appeal.

Oh okay. So I guess we can legalize interference, boarding, charging, slashing, kneeing, spearing...you know, because it's gLaDiAtOrIaL.

Roughing called properly shockingly.

Punching someone in the back of the head does absolutely nothing to dislodge them from the front of the net. It's designed to hurt players, just like it did here. There's 90% the rest of their body mass to abuse.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
Oh okay. So I guess we can legalize interference, boarding, charging, slashing, kneeing, spearing...you know, because it's gLaDiAtOrIaL.

Punching someone in the back of the head does absolutely nothing to dislodge them from the front of the net. It's designed to hurt players, just like it did here. There's 90% the rest of their body mass to abuse.
Those are penalties as they should be. If you want suspensions for every single one of those penalties, it will soon be an unwatchable sport. Might as well get rid of penalties and just hand out suspensions. No more power plays. Maybe you don’t like contact or chippy play. Idk and if you don’t I suppose it’s your right

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Those are penalties as they should be. If you want suspensions for every single one of those penalties, it will soon be an unwatchable sport. Might as well get rid of penalties and just hand out suspensions. No more power plays. Maybe you don’t like contact or chippy play. Idk and if you don’t I suppose it’s your right
I think being harsher on head contact (you know, the thing that houses one of the most important and fragile organs in the human body) is not going to lead to some ticky tack game that people seem to assume.

If you can't push a guy out from the front of your net without getting them in the head, then just retire.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
I guess you still haven’t seen Larkin unconscious on the ice.

“Chippy play”. LMFAO.

Reactions: TS Quint

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Because they are an illegal part of the game but still part of the game, same way as holding in football is illegal but still part of the game. Penalties and infractions happen

"They're penalties because they're illegal"

Boy, the insight

The answer is because they're dangerous. That's the reason.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I think being harsher on head contact (you know, the thing that houses one of the most important and fragile organs in the human body) is not going to lead to some ticky tack game that people seem to assume.

If you can't push a guy out from the front of your net without getting them in the head, then just retire.
Hockey is a pretty explosive sport. The possibility exists of making head contact by accident.

Maybe I’m barbaric to some but part of the entertainment of sports is the danger involved. Do I want to see players hurt? No. Do I realize it’s a possibility? I do. I wouldn’t watch football if the NFL got rid of tackling. Would I pay money to watch Evel Knevial ride off a curb? No. I would watch him jump 14 buses though. And no, I wouldn’t be hoping he crashes.

Reactions: Bileur

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Hockey is a pretty explosive sport. The possibility exists of making head contact by accident.

Maybe I’m barbaric to some but part of the entertainment of sports is the danger involved. Do I want to see players hurt? No. Do I realize it’s a possibility? I do. I wouldn’t watch football if the NFL got rid of tackling. Would I pay money to watch Evel Knevial ride off a curb? No. I would watch him jump 14 buses though. And no, I wouldn’t be hoping he crashes.
This doesn't address what I said in any meaningful way.

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Not sure what happened to that link. But this is who brought up "classless". How many games will Perron get for this crosscheck to the face on Zub? (Perron offered in-person hearing)

But Joseph did nothing wrong, a shove infront of the net is allowed.

So you're saying that anytime a player is on the ice, another player without seeing what happened should react, specially in a way that could injure someone? You're really saying not knowing what happened is a reason to go after the first person you see?

Don't reach too hard, you might pull something
A two-handed “shove” to the head isn’t remotely allowed.

Jesus Christ.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
This doesn't address what I said in any meaningful way.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. You think a no tolerance policy with suspensions is appropriate. I think penalties can satisfy most incidents. It is what it is. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you though

Ol' Jase

Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005

Except it’s not an “accident.”

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. You think a no tolerance policy with suspensions is appropriate. I think penalties can satisfy most incidents. It is what it is. Maybe I’m misunderstanding you though
I'm talking specifically about the head, not penalties in general.

You can have a physical game while also being harsh about negligent or malicious head contact.

Gregor Samsa

Sep 5, 2020
I'm talking specifically about the head, not penalties in general.

You can have a physical game while also being harsh about negligent or malicious head contact.
So do you think an inadvertent high stick that gets someone in the face or head should be a suspension. Hockey moves fast. A split second or slight movement is the difference between pushing a player in the shoulders or the head

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
So do you think an inadvertent high stick that gets someone in the face or head should be a suspension. Hockey moves fast. A split second or slight movement is the difference between pushing a player in the shoulders or the head
FTR... been reading your debate and agree with everything you've said. However, YES, I think even accidental contact to the head should suspendable. Not saying every accidental shot to the head but, like high sticking, if I wind up a big slapper and knock a guy out by accident with my stick then suspend me. Head shots would be out of the game within a year if that was the rule and it was actually enforced. However, I am very alone in this stance.lol I'm all for dislocated shoulders and broken ribs though.lol Just hate headshots... accidental or not.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
So do you think an inadvertent high stick that gets someone in the face or head should be a suspension.
No, the brain isn't generally in danger when a high stick occurs.
Hockey moves fast. A split second or slight movement is the difference between pushing a player in the shoulders or the head
NHL players are paid to play a fast sport. If they have harsher penalties for headshots then they will adjust or someone else will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad