Perron suspended 6 games for crosscheck to the face on Zub - Mod warning Post #590

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
How is this crosscheck to the teeth 2 minutes while Perron got 5 minutes + game misconduct + 6 games suspension? (00:56 and forward in video)

No one can explain that.

Not as predatory, not delivered blindside to an unsuspecting player, not as forceful.

Ovie should probably have gotten the game though.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The NHL seems to punish based on perception. Not safety. Not even for set precedent. Perron running across the ice to head shot looks bad, but is it really that different then cracking someone's head standing right next to him? The only difference is that Trouba/Tkachuk hide their intentions better.

This was unhinged violence. This could have been much more serious if Zub was like Larkin. It could have been Chris Simon levels of suspension. If this league was serious it would have been similar to the Chris Simon suspension. And hell - Chris Simon had a better excuse for the retaliation. He was the one who took a heavy hit to his numbers moments earlier. He wasn't clear headed like Perron when he was making his decision to slash a player in the face.

Reactions: Fatass

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This was unhinged violence. This could have been much more serious if Zub was like Larkin. It could have been Chris Simon levels of suspension. If this league was serious it would have been similar to the Chris Simon suspension.
But should unhinged violence be charged more than controlled violence? The danger level is the same, any sticks to heads could end a career. You could argue the baseball swing motion is more danger than the cross check action due to the increased velocity and leverage of a baseball swing.

And yet a guy like Tkachuk will plan his violence, cold and calculated, with an exit plan to get away with it. And then there's Perron who just lost his temper and reacted spontaneously. If anything a guy like Tkachuk is the more dangerous player to get rid of in this League. A guy who will do it on purpose with his emotions fully under control.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I disagree, he two handed a player in the back of the head, driving into the ice. It was retaliation for disrupting his scoring chance. Just the fact that he could leverage his entire weight made it at least as forceful.

That it was during play might even make it worse, in no part of the NHL's cultural standard is it permissible to hit a prone player who never had the puck. It is generally understood that during after play scrums there is a level of physicality which will be tolerated.

If you want to hold that should not be the culture, I'd agree with you. And I'll grand that making comparisons like this will of course allow for different people to consider different factors as more important than others would.

My comments aren’t to excuse Mangipane’s actions and he probably could have gotten more. I’ll be the last one to defend DOPS and have been vocal about the leagues lack of player safety. I just see an example like Perron’s where it’s not apart of the play to be more vicious and targeted where opposed to a play like Mangipane’s while stupid the puck is underneath McCann and it’s not as targeted even if he is taken liberties on an opponent.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Guy needs to apologize to the fans and players of Ottawa, to his own organization and the rest of the league.
Either a nutcase or just plain dumb. Like really dumb.
He’s lucky zub is a tough dude and wasn’t lying on the ice like Larkin.

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Guy needs to apologize to the fans and players of Ottawa, to his own organization and the rest of the league.
This was unhinged violence. This could have been much more serious if Zub was like Larkin. It could have been Chris Simon levels of suspension. If this league was serious it would have been similar to the Chris Simon suspension. And hell - Chris Simon had a better excuse for the retaliation. He was the one who took a heavy hit to his numbers moments earlier. He wasn't clear headed like Perron when he was making his decision to slash a player in the face.
How stuff like this isn’t an automatic ban is beyond me.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
But should unhinged violence be charged more than controlled violence? The danger level is the same, any sticks to heads could end a career. You could argue the baseball swing motion is more danger than the cross check action due to the increased velocity and leverage of a baseball swing.

And yet a guy like Tkachuk will plan his violence, cold and calculated, with an exit plan to get away with it. And then there's Perron who just lost his temper and reacted spontaneously. If anything a guy like Tkachuk is the more dangerous player to get rid of in this League. A guy who will do it on purpose with his emotions fully under control.
Ah yes, Tkachuk is the greater danger. Scheming and plotting and sowing mayhem. And cross-checking Wings players in the face?... Well, he must have done something to their heads because he's in there now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Pretty obvious to everyone except wings fans.

Just watching this - Larkin is laying there motionless on the ice and guys are pushing and shoving right near him. At that point I'm nervous that those skate blades are coming awfully close to him and he's not moving.

And in all of this, the guy standing over him making sure he's alright and calling a trainer gets cross checked in the face by bozo.

paragon

May 5, 2010
How is this crosscheck to the teeth 2 minutes while Perron got 5 minutes + game misconduct + 6 games suspension? (00:56 and forward in video)

No one can explain that.

Pretty easy. They were jousting, so it was more of an accident. What Perron did was pure headhunting with intent to injure.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I think Perron is more than deserving of suspension. What I don't understand is their math here.

Gunbranson gets a game for jumping Cousins. Perron gets 6 for jumping Zub. Sure you can say Perron used a cross-check and that's worse. But cross-checks almost never get 5 game suspensions. In the run of play this would probably get 2-3 (far less than should be routine, but that's another story).

So basically they suspended him:

1 - Jumping a player outside of pla
2-3 - Using a cross-check
2-3 - Jumping the wrong player

The ramifications of bolded are absolutely bonkers. This is about as close as you'll get to a masks off moment where the NHL flat out tells players they should be blindside mugging opponents they feel are being unsporting.
left out intent to injure
incidents aren’t comparable

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
This is sarcasm, right? You can't be serious.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Joseph said on the radio yesterday, him and Larkin spoke after their previous incident where Larkin got suspended.

He said they both apologized to each other.

Anyone know what Perron said after the game or next day, I’m sure he was asked questions, but haven’t seen anything posted here.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm assuming you're trolling here because if you're not that last sentence is in really poor taste. As a Sens fan (or fan of any club), it is pretty tough to watch a guy KO'd on the ice and it has nothing to do with toughness.

Reactions: Dionysus

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Solid decision by the NHL.

The Red Wings are the only party in this incident that did something wrong. They were rightly punished for it.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Solid decision by the NHL.

The Red Wings are the only party in this incident that did something wrong. They were rightly punished for it.
But not the Twattawa player who clearly was trying to cross check Larkin in the back of the head? Only because he 'missed', it's A-OK?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
By NHL standards this is definitely a harsher suspension than usual. That being said I wish they could appeal to retroactively increase other player's suspensions, not reduce Perron's.
Perron earned his sixer.

The fact that Joseph isn't sitting out the games right next to him is a f***ing embarrassment. Too bad the Wings are a dead fish or Jan 31 might actually be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad