Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's not just the return for him, but also everything you can do with the 30+ million you otherwise would have wasted on him.
You can funnel all of it towards futures.
Yeah, at the end of the day it's great that Petts is rounding into form as a top 4 guy, but it's a day late and a dollar short for us. We won't be able to make real use of him and I don't think that Petts by himself is going to turn that blueline around. Hell, EK couldn't.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Why wouldn't a player such as Harrison Brunicke or Emil Pieniniemi be here when the team is ready to contend?
Depends on your optimism level I guess. For me they're like 10+ years away from a potential Cup.
At that time those guys will be like 30+.
How many defensemen have we kept for a decade in the Crosby era? Only Letang.

You don't sign a guy for 30+ mil to be a mentor. What a waste. You just sign veterans with good habits and personalities for dirt cheap.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Let's be honest too, not a lot of players make good mentors. You need a very specialized personality type for that, and not a lot of guys have it. Unless I missed somewhere that Petts has been taking all the rookies under his wing and showing them the ropes and helping them improve, I wouldn't assume he's got what it takes to mentor anyone.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
None of em. Actions speak louder that words. They're all businessmen.
All of the actions and words line up:

Guentzel wanted to remain in Pittsburgh, Dubas didn't want that commitment.

No action or words dispute this, only fans for whom its easier to swallow departures when they convince themselves the player didn't want to stay.

Or do you think players can sign with teams that don't want them?

Reactions: eXile3

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Depends on your optimism level I guess. For me they're like 10+ years away from a potential Cup.
At that time those guys will be like 30+.
How many defensemen have we kept for a decade in the Crosby era? Only Letang.

You don't sign a guy for 30+ mil to be a mentor. What a waste. You just sign veterans with good habits and personalities for dirt cheap.
We gave Gonchar a total of $25M for five years at the very beginning of the Cap Era. It seems to have worked out well.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
We gave Gonchar a total of $25M for five years at the very beginning of the Cap Era. It seems to have worked out well.
But Gonchar was an elite PPQB, it was a happy accident that he became a good mentor and has continued to make a career coaching. Not every top 4 guy can do that, so what makes Petts the exception here?

Have other players praised Petts for helping them adjust or helping them work on their games?

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
Once again, that was Dubas, not Jake. “That’s on me.” Is what he said at the press conference. The Jake not wanting negotiate during the season has never actually been attributed to Jake. I don’t know why everyone blindly believes it.
I'm unaware of that comment, id look into but I honestly didn't care that much about who is right or wrong on this one

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
IMG_7673.jpeg

Looks like our pal Hornqvist got his name on the Cup for a third time.

I was curious if he still held a position within the team, I know he did for a bit.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas had an asset that was in demand. He took the best deal from the Canes. It is simply. Jake costs a lot, is aging and the Pens are to. Now with the draft of RD, Ponomarev, the LW from Finland and RW from Wisky at the time, That give Dubas 4 prospects who help deepen the prospect pool.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
GIven the Pens aversion to long-term deals these days, it might make sense to trade Pettersson at the deadline if you had any faith in Dubas' ability to get a good return.

Considering what he got for a much more valuable asset in Guentzel though, Petts would probably yield a 2nd rounder or the equivalent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
GIven the Pens aversion to long-term deals these days, it might make sense to trade Pettersson at the deadline if you had any faith in Dubas' ability to get a good return.

Considering what he got for a much more valuable asset in Guentzel though, Petts would probably yield a 2nd rounder or the equivalent.

I think you could maybe get a 1st out of Petts if everything break rights, but yeah I think he's probably returning what Marino just did in two 2nds.

Which is basically everything you need for a rebuild.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What's the big friggin' hurry? Are people that desperate to land/gain a contract and a 3rd back (2nd if retained) at the TDL for a UFA rental, Petts?

The TDL isn't the place to gain quality returns. Maybe had the Pens not waited until the cusp of Jakes deal to end and did so over the summer before and gain quality over quantity they would have gained actual quality assets than a roster contract, 2nd and a bunch of thrown at the wall quantity maybes.

What's up with constantly tanking asset values with this place?

It's bad enough when the team does it.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What's the big friggin' hurry? Are people that desperate to land/gain a contract and a 3rd back (2nd if retained) at the TDL for a UFA rental, Petts?

The TDL isn't the place to gain quality returns. Maybe had the Pens not waited until the cusp of Jakes deal to end and did so over the summer before and gain quality over quantity they would have gained actual quality assets than a roster contract, 2nd and a bunch of thrown at the wall quantity maybes.

Jake wasn’t traded the off season before because the rebuild decision wouldn’t have been made yet.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jake wasn’t traded the off season before because the rebuild decision wouldn’t have been made yet.
There wasn't a rebuild decision made now, but they knew Jake wasn't signing a deal, much like Staal wasn't back in 2012, and those are the signs to gauge on whether it was Jake's or Kyle's decision not to get one done. They waited a whole year too late.

Asset management.

The Pens let go of one player they were forced into trading away. That doesn't constitute "rebuild".

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don't really see the reason in re-signing Pettersson.

He's not a core player. He's easily replaceable and he returns assets.

Even if we were trying to compete, I'd still trade him. Same with Jake.

These are the type of players you move on from and use the assets to extend the window if you are a smart GM.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There wasn't a rebuild decision made now, but they knew Jake wasn't signing a deal, much like Staal wasn't back in 2012, and those are the signs to gauge on whether it was Jake's or Kyle's decision not to get one done. They waited a whole year too late.

Asset management.

The Pens let go of one player they were forced into trading away. That doesn't constitute "rebuild".
Read the quotes from the last few pages. It's not true.

They were forced into nothing. They did not want to re-sign Guentzel at anything like market value. If they had, he'd still be here.

Reactions: OtherThingsILike

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Last year he got a few things right. Don't recall him hitting on anything this year though.
Okay

Not a direct quote from JG.. .. But, if Pagnotta has any connections...

"On Friday evening, during “NHL Tonight” on NHL Network,” Pagnotta reported contract talks between the Penguins and Guentzel’s camp are quiet and the star forward wants to have a clearer picture on the future of the club before committing long-term.

"As much as he loves it in Pittsburgh and has built chemistry, both on and off the ice, with Sidney Crosby, I can tell you right now no contract negotiations have taken place between the Penguins and Guentzel’s camp and agent Ben Hankinson,” Pagnotta said. “It’s kind of status quo at the moment.

“My understanding is that Guentzel is comfortable waiting this out. He wants to understand and have a clearer picture as to what the future, both short- and long-term, of the Pittsburgh Penguins is going to be if he does sign a long-term extension with the club, be it a six-, seven-, eight-year deal.""

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad