Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | The Boys of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
The logic and strategy of the prospects they are picking is just much much better than with Benning. We aren't getting many picks but I don't feel like we have a terrible prospect pool especially under the circumstances.

What's the scoop on Raty? I feel like he had a good 2nd half to last season but I don't watch the Abby Canucks.have no idea if this kid will make the NHL.

Funny you should ask that.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
What's the scoop on Raty? I feel like he had a good 2nd half to last season but I don't watch the Abby Canucks.have no idea if this kid will make the NHL.

Didn't he play mostly wing on the farm, and have most of his success there? I'm not sure there's much hope you have a centre at this point, but maybe he can become something of a bottom-six winger if some of the offense can translate.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Eliteprospects and the AHL website has him at 6"4 and 209 lbs

Him and Willander should hopefully bring some much needed youth/skill into the defence in the next few years

D-Petey grew 2” in a year after getting drafted and then packed on 20lbs of muscle without it affecting his very good skating. His development is something rarely seen in Canucks defencemen draftees.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Didn't he play mostly wing on the farm, and have most of his success there? I'm not sure there's much hope you have a centre at this point, but maybe he can become something of a bottom-six winger if some of the offense can translate.

He’s more effective as a winger than a centre because he doesn’t gas himself covering more ground and is able to be more creative instead of constantly being the first forward back.

He’s very interesting because his skating has progressed to “fine”. It hold him back position-wise but not from the NHL. The biggest issue he has was not being assertive. The beginning of the season he was very passive, let plays develop around him, and was just there doing everything right but not creating. About half-way through, it started to click for him and he was becoming a force. Crisp passes, shots in dangerous areas, entering the zone with authority, stealing pucks, and very good on the forecheck. This coincided with him playing wing more often but he wasn’t exclusively there all the time. He’s often switch positions mid-game.

To me Raty is a clear future-NHLer. He profiles as a solid 3rd line winger with face-off capabilities and PP2 utility. The obstacles are can he further improve his skating so he can handle NHL speed better and continue to be assertive. If he can get better in those two areas he has a nice ceiling of a very good 3rd liner.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
D-Petey grew 2” in a year after getting drafted and then packed on 20lbs of muscle without it affecting his very good skating. His development is something rarely seen in Canucks defencemen draftees.
Height not realistic to increase by 2 inches. It is possible since these kids are about 18 vs the NFL where they are 20 or 21. But, it should be rare to see 2 inches. But, depends on whether he was officially measured at the combine or something independent than his club team.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Height not realistic to increase by 2 inches. It is possible since these kids are about 18 vs the NFL where they are 20 or 21. But, it should be rare to see 2 inches. But, depends on whether he was officially measured at the combine or something independent than his club team.

He was not invited to the combine but every draft guide had him listed at 6’2” 185lbs. In 2023 he gave an interview with Canucks Army and told them he was now up to 6’4”. Growth spurts are weird.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He was not invited to the combine but every draft guide had him listed at 6’2” 185lbs. In 2023 he gave an interview with Canucks Army and told them he was now up to 6’4”. Growth spurts are weird.
Only so many people are going to still grow from when they do the combine (which is like late May or early June, so all but like 14/15 weeks of birthday kids) will be 18 at the combine.

Possible also that draft guides undershot his height. I mean, what would they base it on? I mean Bedard was measured in at 5'9 and 3/4, so expect to see him rounded up to 5'10. I would be skeptical if I ever see him listed at 6 feet.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I know there has been a long history of over-valuing Canucks' prospects. But it does seem as if we have some talent coming up. Willander, EP2, and Lekkermaki could be relatively high end players. Raty could be a useful player. And Tolopio could be at least a second string goalie eventually.

Still lots of ifs, but definitely some hope there, and out of not great draft capital as well.

I really wouldn't mind seeing some of them getting some try outs on the big team this year as injury call ups.

Last edited:
Reactions: quat and andora

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Only so many people are going to still grow from when they do the combine (which is like late May or early June, so all but like 14/15 weeks of birthday kids) will be 18 at the combine.

Possible also that draft guides undershot his height. I mean, what would they base it on? I mean Bedard was measured in at 5'9 and 3/4, so expect to see him rounded up to 5'10. I would be skeptical if I ever see him listed at 6 feet.

There are examples of players who grew 2 inches. Tanev likely did (compared to his draft eligible summer), Parayko, Dillon, Bjustad etc.

D-Petey's development is exciting. Hope he keeps it up.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
This time of year I'm always plagued with a hopeful attitude toward the upcoming season. I hope Podkolzin can take a step, I hope Hoglander can solidify his overall game so he is relied upon as an everyday top 9 forward, I hope Myers can repeat his solid play of last year, I hope the team's coaching staff can help at least one or two players reach another level (Desharnais, Raty), I hope Demko can stay healthy...

This time of year I lean towards assuming all of these things will be true. By November my hopes are usually dashed.

So, in an effort to be clear eyed in these doldrums of summer, I offer myself the following reality check:

The Canucks really only have two established top 4 D-men (Hughes, Hronek) with a third being a solid 4/5 (Soucy). All others are at best bottom pairing:
Desharnais
Myers
Forbort
Juulsen

Off these 4, Myers is the only one that can be counted on to play top 4 minutes on a regular basis.

The quality of the coaching and the tight D-system make it possible to have these guys playing reasonable minutes. But that comes at the expense of offense.

The addition of one top 4 D-man has to be this team's highest priority followed distantly by solidifying the 3C spot longer term. There is some promise within the organization to fix the latter. But, other than Willander, who is at least 2 years away from playing top 4 minutes, I don't see a fix for the D.

ok, now back to my unabashed optimism...

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
1723131592744.gif

1723131677759.gif

1723131880935.gif

Man can the season just start already.

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

I’m seriously rooting for Pod to succeed. If not here, hope he finds a home somewhere else and launches his career.

Awhile back I was actually looking at JT Miller’s early career stats and compared it to Podkolzin’s and:

Starting from their NHL debut:
JT Miller first 3 seasons: 33pts in 116gp
Podkolzin first 3 seasons: 35pts in 137gp

Miller in his 4th season put up 22 goals and 43pts in 82 games. I can see Podkolzin put up similar numbers if he’s permanently stuck with Miller and Boeser. I mean I don’t see how he doesn’t score at least 15-20 goals.

Tocchet should really prioritize Podkolzin’s development. At the very least he could end up like a Yakov Trenin type player which is still valuable.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Awhile back I was actually looking at JT Miller’s early career stats and compared it to Podkolzin’s and:

Miller in his 4th season put up 22 goals and 43pts in 82 games. I can see Podkolzin put up similar numbers if he’s permanently stuck with Miller and Boeser. I mean I don’t see how he doesn’t score at least 15-20 goals.

Tocchet should really prioritize Podkolzin’s development. At the very least he could end up like a Yakov Trenin type player which is still valuable.
Completely agreed with your last paragraph. The main goal should be is to make Podkolzin a fulltime NHL player. I don't care if he doesn't become another Miller, but a 4th line role player like Trenin would be fine with me. If there was one person that could save this young potential power forward from busting, it's Tochett.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

I don't think they are really comparable since Podkolzin has struggled to produce in ever pro league he's played in while Miller produced in the AHL. So the fact that Miller took some time to produce in the NHL was probably less concerning since he had produced in the AHL where as Podkolzin's failure to produce in the NHL is far more concerning since he hasn't produced very well in the AHL or KHL.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There are examples of players who grew 2 inches. Tanev likely did (compared to his draft eligible summer), Parayko, Dillon, Bjustad etc.

D-Petey's development is exciting. Hope he keeps it up.
If D Petey grew, good for him. I don't think the extra 2 inches will impact or change his game much. He's not a bruiser and he was already at a good height of 6'2. If someone like Bieksa who was 6'1 and 200-205 lbs, was 2 inches taller at 6'3, he'd probably weigh 215 to 220 lbs which would have allowed him to play the game the way he truly would have liked to.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If D Petey grew, good for him. I don't think the extra 2 inches will impact or change his game much. He's not a bruiser and he was already at a good height of 6'2. If someone like Bieksa who was 6'1 and 200-205 lbs, was 2 inches taller at 6'3, he'd probably weigh 215 to 220 lbs which would have allowed him to play the game the way he truly would have liked to.
I thought he was supposed to be pretty physical, at least by today’s standards

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

He’s extremely physical. That’s what separates him from most prospects.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He’s extremely physical. That’s what separates him from most prospects.
It's a 'make or break' camp for Podkolzin.....he's in tough after all the wingers the Canucks brought in as UFA's. And he's out of options on the waiver wire. If the Canucks want to send him out, he'd have to clear waivers. And there's zero chance he wouldn't be claimed. Former top-10 draft picks seem to always get chance after chance in the NHL, with the club that claims him hoping they an unlock his potential.

You can't help pulling for this kid, who's struggled for two years to find his place in the NHL roster, and has endured a couple of frightening injuries playing in the AHL. If he can use his speed and physicality on the forecheck, there's probably a place for him in the NHL..

But if things don't work out, then it's almost a guarantee that he'll be playing for a different NHL organization come October.

Reactions: David71

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's a 'make or break' camp for Podkolzin.....he's in tough after all the wingers the Canucks brought in as UFA's. And he's out of options on the waiver wire. If the Canucks want to send him out, he'd have to clear waivers. And there's zero chance he wouldn't be claimed. Former top-10 draft picks seem to always get chance after chance in the NHL, with the club that claims him hoping they an unlock his potential.

You can't help pulling for this kid, who's struggled for two years to find his place in the NHL roster, and has endured a couple of frightening injuries playing in the AHL. If he can use his speed and physicality on the forecheck, there's probably a place for him in the NHL..

But if things don't work out, then it's almost a guarantee that he'll be playing for a different NHL organization come October.

We’re talking about defenceman Elias Pettersson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad