Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think I’m far less pessimistic lately when you see the crazy kinda stuff that happens like an expansion team reaching the finals or the Oilers damn near coming back from an 03 deficit in the finals. Or last year’s Panthers barely making the playoffs then reaching the finals.

Stuff has to happen like a couple guys playing out of their mind or a coaching change at the right time, as we’ve seen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It still blows my mind that Hextall traded a 2nd for Granlund without any salary retention or sending money out. Granlund had 2.5 years left on his deal and wasn't even doing that well for the Predators that year (36 points in 58 games). I can't find a single recent example of a guy with such mid production and that kind of term/money left on his deal bringing back value like that.

I don't even mean to dismiss the production, Granlund was on pace for 51 points per 82 games with the Predaotrs that year. That's totally fine. But with 2.5 years left and a $5 million AAV, teams are lining up to pay positive value for that. It's like a team paying a 2nd for Rakell right now without sending any money back, I think it's a crazy suggestion.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
It still blows my mind that Hextall traded a 2nd for Granlund without any salary retention or sending money out. Granlund had 2.5 years left on his deal and wasn't even doing that well for the Predators that year (36 points in 58 games). I can't find a single recent example of a guy with such mid production and that kind of term/money left on his deal bringing back value like that.

I don't even mean to dismiss the production, Granlund was on pace for 51 points per 82 games with the Predaotrs that year. That's totally fine. But with 2.5 years left and a $5 million AAV, teams are lining up to pay positive value for that. It's like a team paying a 2nd for Rakell right now without sending any money back, I think it's a crazy suggestion.
Straight up one of the worst trades in five years

Totally inexplicable. Granlund didn't even fill a roll we needed.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think I’m far less pessimistic lately when you see the crazy kinda stuff that happens like an expansion team reaching the finals or the Oilers damn near coming back from an 03 deficit in the finals. Or last year’s Panthers barely making the playoffs then reaching the finals.

Stuff has to happen like a couple guys playing out of their mind or a coaching change at the right time, as we’ve seen.
Of any team that knows all about coaching change it is the Pens, but we have forgotten our ways with Sully for some reason. Too late now.

He got rid of several bad contracts only to take on his....LMFAO!!!

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kyle isn't done
PjAnRRD.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The best part of the Granlund thing was that Hextall finally dumped like $5M of deadweight players right beforehand, so we were all like "Oh shit, he's removing bad fits/players, maybe we're getting Boeser or something" then it was Granlund and I just kinda chuckled and shook my head.

I first read it as Garland from Vancouver cuz there were a lot of Vancouver-related rumors at the time and was like "Oh, bummer. Not a big fan of that guy--oh, Mikael Granlund. Jeez." :laugh:

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
IIRC, Granlund missed like two breakaways against the Pens a game or two prior to the deadline and Hextall thought "yea, that's what the team is missing."

• Haha
Reactions: Giskard

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So, we're still litigating the merits of Hextalls decision to trade for Granlund?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Honestly, I'm more inclined to agree with Gurgs' take regarding the Karlsson trade. At the time, I was all for the trade and saw no downsides in it. And even now, I don't think there is a ton of downside because I bet they get a 1st back for Karlsson in the future. But I think this team showed last year that it's no longer a team you spend a 1st round pick to make better.

I don't mind the trade at this point because I think you get a 1st back for Karlsson in the future. But I think there's an extremely easy argument to make that they were better off not doing that deal and just eating the remaining years/money on Petry, Rutta and Granlund.

I think the Karlsson trade was a smart risk and as you say they will get the 1st back when they retain or take bad contracts back for him.

They couldn't have realized that the guy is just that bad as a PPQB. They probably should have known there was no way Reirden could fix him on the PP, but he may be unfixable there period. Sometimes the right decision doesn't pan out.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Our team does feel like it has a pretty wide range of outcomes. The only finishes that would truly surprise me would be us finishing in the bottom 5 or top 5 in the league. Anything else seems reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised if we were 6th or 7th in the division and I also wouldn't be surprised if we righted the ship enough to grab one of the final playoff spots. Winning the division (or finish top 2) or being so bad that we're one of the 5 worst teams in the league....both of those seem unlikely.

If I had to guess how the Metro plays out:

1) Rangers
2) Canes
3) Devils
4) Islanders
5) Caps
6) Pens
7) Flyers
8) Jackets

Rangers/Canes will be the top 2 one way or another. The Devils have a pretty good roster if they stay healthy and now they actually have a goalie. They also have a better coach than they did. I expect a big rebound there. The Isles are much the same as they ever are but unlike us they know how to rack up OTL points and grind out victories. They'll find a way to squeak into that last spot again.

The Caps improved their roster by a lot and I think that plus the enthusiasm around their team will put them ahead of us. We'll be 6th because we aren't truly awful but aren't that good either. The Flyers will fall behind us because their roster is not all that deep and Torts hockey always seems to take a step back after initial successes. The Jackets are building their team and have too many massive holes for me to put them out of the basement.

But like I said, we have a range of outcomes and I could see us doing better or worse than that and I wouldn't be too surprised if that happened. The only thing that would truly surprise me would be a top tier finish or a truly bottom tier finish.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The best part of the Granlund thing was that Hextall finally dumped like $5M of deadweight players right beforehand, so we were all like "Oh shit, he's removing bad fits/players, maybe we're getting Boeser or something" then it was Granlund and I just kinda chuckled and shook my head.

I first read it as Garland from Vancouver cuz there were a lot of Vancouver-related rumors at the time and was like "Oh, bummer. Not a big fan of that guy--oh, Mikael Granlund. Jeez." :laugh:

It was utterly hilarious how we were attached to Chychrun and JT Miller and then we got this..

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I know the Caps brought a lot of players in, but they seem to have overdone it a bit... even once they put Backstrom on LTIR, they'll still be almost $5M over the Cap. Unless someone else expected to go on LTIR for the full year, they're going to need to unload a player or two.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
I know the Caps brought a lot of players in, but they seem to have overdone it a bit... even once they put Backstrom on LTIR, they'll still be almost $5M over the Cap. Unless someone else expected to go on LTIR for the full year, they're going to need to unload a player or two.
Is that with Oshie too? He’s cooked apparently

Reactions: Freeptop and Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I think it's very likely we'll win another Cup in the next 20 years or so. I don't think we'll ever have the possibility of a dynasty like this ever again, though. That's what really stings about the mismanagement during Sid and Geno's primes and this horrible-ass decline.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I'm not judging the hire either way, but I continue to be confused by the idea that hiring people you already know and trust is somehow just "cronyism and nepotism".

It's far better to hire someone you already know can work with you and get the job done (as you see it, mind you), than hiring someone you don't know on the off chance they might be better.

If I could grab a select set of my former coworkers to join me at my current place of employment, I, too, would do it every time.

Yes, it's a problem if the person is bringing along unqualified people. That tends to happen if the person making the decisions is unqualified. Maybe that's the case here. But Clark seems to actually be qualified for what he is being brought in to do? Maybe it's a case of the blind squirrel finding the nut, but it's kind of weird how some people just jump to the conclusion that it must be a had hire because he worked with Dubas previously.

Well the proof is in the results. If I'm a fan of the Patriots, I didn't care Robert Kraft hired his sons.
Now if I'm a fan of the Penguins and Sully brings in people he used to work with, then I'm gonna be pissed off bc Sully hasn't done jack all for almost a decade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad