Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It's evergreen but lol, it's fundamentally true.

Which I get, but at the same time, there are lots of other even bigger functional problems with the site. :laugh:

Yeah for sure. The layout isn’t great but they’re working on it at least.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Which member of the core is going to openly say anything negative about the coach?

Is the core responsible for coaching staff personnel decisions?
If they wanted him gone he wouldn't be here. They want him here or they would have asked out. They certainly wouldn't sign long term extensions like they have otherwise. They're enabling him to stay.

Because the GM shouldn't decide based on what the players like. They should decide based on who they think gives them the best chance to win hockey games.

There have been some Cup winning coaches in the past who weren't the easiest to deal with. Torts got way more out of Philly last year than almost any coach would.

You do what you gotta do. Gotta stop worrying about feelings so much. Players often dunno what's best for them and the team. Can't rely on their input about this. They will often take the path of least resistance.
I'm not talking about any GM, I'm talking about the players enabling the coach. When Mario didn't want coaches here they weren't long for this team. In Sullivans case it's the absolute opposite.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly I know the cap hits of everyone on the Penguins within +/- $250k :laugh:
Crosby 8.7
Malkin 6.3 ? He's still 9.5 in my head.
Letang 6.1
Rust 5.5 feeling it's 5.2 but damnit
Rakell 5.5
DOC 900k
Aho 800k
Graves 4.5
Karlsson 10 million for us
Beuallivier 1.25
Lizotte 1.9
Petts 4.1
Grezlyk or however it's spelt. 2.75
St Ivany 900k?
Eller 2.1
Accairi 2.2
Hayes 3.5 for us
Big Puus 900k
Bemstrom 800k
Puujarvi 800k
Shea 800k

Jarry 5.5
Ned 2.75

This is what my guesses are for us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby 8.7
Malkin 6.3 ? He's still 9.5 in my head.
Letang 6.1
Rust 5.5 feeling it's 5.2 but damnit
Rakell 5.5
DOC 900k
Aho 800k
Graves 4.5
Karlsson 10 million for us
Beuallivier 1.25
Lizotte 1.9
Petts 4.1
Grezlyk or however it's spelt. 2.75
St Ivany 900k?
Eller 2.1
Accairi 2.2
Hayes 3.5 for us
Big Puus 900k
Bemstrom 800k
Puujarvi 800k
Shea 800k

Jarry 5.5
Ned 2.75

This is what my guesses are for us.

Going through the list off of memory:

O'Connor: $900k
Crosby: $8.7 million
Rakell: $5 million
Bunting: $4.5 million
Malkin: $6.1 million
Rust: $5.125 million
Beauvillier: $1.25 million
Eller: $2.65 million
Puustinen: $800k
Lizotte: $1.85 million
Hayes: a bit below $3.6 million, think it's like $3.575 million or something like that
Acciari: $2 million

Pettersson: a bit below $4.1 million, think it's like $4.085 million or something weird like that
Karlsson: $10 million
Grzelcyk: $2.75 million
Letang: $6.1 million
Graves: $4.5 million
St. Ivany: $775k

Jarry: $5.315 million
Nedjelkovic: $2.5 million

I'm literally within $200k of everyone just based off of memory :laugh:

Eller was the one I was most wrong with, he's at $2.45 million not $2.65 million.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

I feel like a lot of teams have this person they just don't get paid any attention.

Sam Ventura was still here and retaining a very tidy and important-sounding title when the Pens signed Jack Johnson for 5 years @ 3.25. Did one of the most preeminent hockey analytic guys sign-off on the deal? Or is it more likely he protested and JR told Guerin to give him a swirlie and stuff him in a locker.

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, it's a big opportunity for them to really capture a significant market share. There is a vacuum right now and ONE place will take the lions share. Given what just happened with CapFriendly, if it were ME, I would be talking to a lender or VC looking for some capital to hire a team of developers and a couple of additional statisticians in place to put myself ahead of the competition. Once you get a CapFriendly-esque product in place, I would be offering various services to the NHL teams.
I actually surprised no NHL team has brought him on to bolster their analytics dept.
Remember when I was being considered for the GM position and they went with Sleepy instead?
Thank goodness, too; I would have been hounding you every day to be AGM, highlighted by the various trades and Arm Chair GM printouts demonstrating my roster construction savviness.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Hayes: a bit below $3.6 million, think it's like $3.575 million or something like that

Pettersson: a bit below $4.1 million, think it's like $4.085 million or something weird like that

Eller was the one I was most wrong with, he's at $2.45 million not $2.65 million.
Dang I was way off Eller.

I completely forgot about Bunting. I was thinking to myself I was missing someone.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm not talking about any GM, I'm talking about the players enabling the coach. When Mario didn't want coaches here they weren't long for this team. In Sullivans case it's the absolute opposite.
You were talking about who's fault it is that Sullivan is still here. The answer is the GM's and ownership, not the players.
They traded Guentzel because it was the right thing to do. It's never something Sid would approve of, but it was done anyway.
So Dubas should be able to carry-over that same attitude to what's best for the team coaching-wise, but he doesn't.

Sure, players can force a coach out, with enough dissent. But they shouldn't be able to keep a coach around when the results have been below expectations for years. The onus is on the GM to intervene with that bullshit. This is the NHL, not daycare.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Remember when I was being considered for the GM position and they went with Sleepy instead?
Sad day, soldier. Sad day.

dqh7mz45l9091.gif

Honestly impressed.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sure, players can force a coach out, with enough dissent. But they shouldn't be able to keep a coach around when the results have been below expectations for years. The onus is on the GM to intervene with that bullshit. This is the NHL, not daycare.
Exactly and they do the opposite, they not only aren't forcing Sully out, they want him to stay.

And keep in mind JR and RH were GM's the majority of Sullivans tenure. Regardless, The players and more to the point the core has a big hand in Sully being here whether you wanna admit it or not!

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
A couple somewhat interesting notes:
- I did my periodic check on the Pens' official list of scouts. Looks like Dubas has added a couple more: Evgeny Bogdanovich as an Amateur Scout, and Leonid Vaysfeld as a Pro Scout. I started tracking the scout listings for the Pens since sometime in the mid-oughts, and this is far and away the largest the scouting team has been in that entire time.
- Taylor Hasse has video of Tom Kostopoulos (Director of Player Development) talking post-scrimmage. One thing he mentioned was how much larger the Player Development staff has gotten under Dubas - and he's correct. Once upon a time, there would be a single "Player Development Coach" listed for the team. The team's Front Office Staff page currently lists 8 staff members, with TK as the head of the department. Based on things I've seen from the Dev camp, that's not the entirety of the list, either, since they have at least one skating coach who, for some reason, stopped being listed on the site in the past year, but was working with the prospects this week. The team's dietician has been referenced by a couple of prospects as well, and they aren't officially part of the Player Development department, for that matter.

If nothing else, this gives me some hope that the team will start getting better results out of the draft pipeline. When there was just one "Player Development Coach", who was generally part-time, at best, there was no way they were keeping up with a bunch of prospects and making sure they're developing properly. Now there's an entire team working on it, so there's at least a better chance.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Man, Graves and Hayes. $9 million in cap we could have spent on an actual not-torture-to-watch player or two.
Paid some more and we coulda had

Lindholm-Letang
Petts-Karlsson

As our top 4 D. Pay a 1st and whatever prospect along with the assets we gave for Rakell and we would have been better for it. It stings because we easily could have had both players. But now unless we are getting a superstar that's young we need to keep our 1sts.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
- I did my periodic check on the Pens' official list of scouts. Looks like Dubas has added a couple more: Evgeny Bogdanovich as an Amateur Scout, and Leonid Vaysfeld as a Pro Scout. I started tracking the scout listings for the Pens since sometime in the mid-oughts, and this is far and away the largest the scouting team has been in that entire time.
- Taylor Hasse has video of Tom Kostopoulos (Director of Player Development) talking post-scrimmage. One thing he mentioned was how much larger the Player Development staff has gotten under Dubas - and he's correct. Once upon a time, there would be a single "Player Development Coach" listed for the team. The team's Front Office Staff page currently lists 8 staff members, with TK as the head of the department. Based on things I've seen from the Dev camp, that's not the entirety of the list, either, since they have at least one skating coach who, for some reason, stopped being listed on the site in the past year, but was working with the prospects this week. The team's dietician has been referenced by a couple of prospects as well, and they aren't officially part of the Player Development department, for that matter.

If nothing else, this gives me some hope that the team will start getting better results out of the draft pipeline. When there was just one "Player Development Coach", who was generally part-time, at best, there was no way they were keeping up with a bunch of prospects and making sure they're developing properly. Now there's an entire team working on it, so there's at least a better chance.
Teams should always have large staff directed towards the drafts, no? keep your trade assets and develope them and plug and play them like the Dallas Stars. Or trade them for crap.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018

Didn't understand why the Pens weren't doing that before. They were always trading away picks, might as well invest as much money as possible into the picks you are making.

Pens only need two scouts

@Gurglesons @Empoleon8771

Would be unstoppable
Bennett-Bennett-Bennett
Bennett-Bennett-Bennett
Bennett-Bennett-Bennett
Bennett-Bennett-Bennett

Johnson-Johnson
Johnson-Johnson
Johnson-Johnson

Bennett
Johnson