Salary Cap: Pens Summer Salary Thread: We Hayes Dubas's offseason moves so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Fairly certain I could build the cap part of cap friendly in excel but idk how to link in the stats or do all the cool functions for fans on the website part

Point being it’s insane a team needed to buy them hahaha. Just have an intern set up an excel model. I just imagine a bunch of hockey dudes that have no idea how to use MS Office being like “let’s spend millions to fix this blind spot”

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Fairly certain I could build the cap part of cap friendly in excel but idk how to link in the stats or do all the cool functions for fans on the website part

Point being it’s insane a team needed to buy them hahaha. Just have an intern set up an excel model. I just imagine a bunch of hockey dudes that have no idea how to use MS Office being like “let’s spend millions to fix this blind spot”
I was literally thinking a good trading floor intern could build a perfect cap friendly clone if the NHL had a database of the raw information and an API to access it.

This is just straight up a case of the NHL hating their most devoted fans.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I know the Caps brought a lot of players in, but they seem to have overdone it a bit... even once they put Backstrom on LTIR, they'll still be almost $5M over the Cap. Unless someone else expected to go on LTIR for the full year, they're going to need to unload a player or two.
Oshie is also going on LTIR…good chance he never plays again with his back

Reactions: Freeptop

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
It was utterly hilarious how we were attached to Chychrun and JT Miller and then we got this..

I dont get worked up over the pens much anymore. This core has done more than enough for me, IMO.

But oh boy was I f***ing livid when that trade happened and immediately called for Hextall’s head. I actually gave him some credit up to that point. Especially with a good Raks trade the year prior. But that season and deadline did it for me.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I was literally thinking a good trading floor intern could build a perfect cap friendly clone if the NHL had a database of the raw information and an API to access it.

Yeah just sucks we can’t use roster builder and armchair GM anymore when it seems most of the practicality for a team isn’t with that stuff and it’s fun for fans.

But that is why my working theory is that that Caps roster guys wanted a an easy way to play with potential trades and signings in and were using CapFriendly features to do so :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The core wanted Sullivan to stay, so with all the Sullivan hate 'round here, why doesn't the core get any of the blame?

I guess we can pick which villains we want and forego that stigma with players we like? Even if they themselves are culpable?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Well the proof is in the results. If I'm a fan of the Patriots, I didn't care Robert Kraft hired his sons.
Now if I'm a fan of the Penguins and Sully brings in people he used to work with, then I'm gonna be pissed off bc Sully hasn't done jack all for almost a decade
I'll note I didn't make the same comment about hiring Quinn :laugh:

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The core wanted Sullivan to stay, so with all the Sullivan hate 'round here, why doesn't the core get any of the blame?

I guess we can pick which villains we want and forego that stigma with players we like? Even if they themselves are culpable?
Because the GM shouldn't decide based on what the players like. They should decide based on who they think gives them the best chance to win hockey games.

There have been some Cup winning coaches in the past who weren't the easiest to deal with. Torts got way more out of Philly last year than almost any coach would.

You do what you gotta do. Gotta stop worrying about feelings so much. Players often dunno what's best for them and the team. Can't rely on their input about this. They will often take the path of least resistance.

Reactions: The Old Master

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Which member of the core is going to openly say anything negative about the coach?

Is the core responsible for coaching staff personnel decisions?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I mean, I've got a large spreadsheet just for the Penguins. But I don't have access to the daily roster moves to make it too useful.

Reactions: Sideline

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Yeah, it can be built in excel pretty easy. That's what HockeyBuzz did. The calculators and automatic cap and contract info is where it gets tough. With that, they hired the entire staff so I assume they will continue to work and update the site just like normal. That's where it gets tough.

It's no different that any large company buying a smaller company to bolster weaknesses.

Not that I don't like what I do now but I wish I would have skipped some of my other degrees and went hard to stats so that I could have done a website like Capfriendly or be in FO for Cap/Stats/RM/etc.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
How did cap friendly get all the contract details, in the first place?

I know nhl is more open with disclosing terms than, generally, than many other sports, but the press releases also tend to not give every detail.

Did they have contacts and will those contacts still share directly since they're Caps employees now?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
given this board's collective inability to carry on normal conversations or recognize social cues, i'm surprised anyone needs a cap friendly and we aren't all simply keeping perfect track of all of the numbers in our head.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
given this board's collective inability to carry on normal conversations or recognize social cues, i'm surprised anyone needs a cap friendly and we aren't all simply keeping perfect track of all of the numbers in our head.
Numbers are fake, and math is a lie foisted upon us by the alphabet agencies!

Honestly I know the cap hits of everyone on the Penguins within +/- $250k :laugh:
Emp, given that every year we make some dumb cap mistake because the FO doesn't know their own numbers, I think you should hire out for seven digits as a consultant to them. :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Numbers are fake, and math is a lie foisted upon us by the alphabet agencies!
i2a3jdmumjt41.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad