Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't know Dubas well enough to say one way or the other but I just don't see him being cutthroat enough to dump Pryor directly after he handled the draft for him. Argument could be made that he'd be within his rights to do some housecleaning there but Pryor himself more or less just got that job and will likely be allowed to prove himself.

This idea that they only didn't shitcan him already because it was too close to the draft doesn't hold a ton of water to me. Dubas himself certainly had a good enough feel for the draft and there are plenty of old hats within the scouting department that could have taken the reigns for 48 hours. I'm not saying any old moron with a copy of Dobbers could do it but, well...
I am. Half the time these teams would be better off if they literally ignored everything their scouts said and just drafted by point production lol.

Reactions: Peat

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I am. Half the time these teams would be better off if they literally ignored everything their scouts said and just drafted by point production lol.

I think it takes some coordinating with your staff and lots of sifting through data but I mean... I'm betting a lot of you guys could do the job just fine haha

Reactions: Pancakes

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Has Nick Pryor actually done something worthy of being fired? Or does he just need to go because he's the son of Chris Pryor and isn't a Dubas hire?

It sounds like Dubas is pretty happy with the Pickering and Yager picks.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Has Nick Pryor actually done something worthy of being fired? Or does he just need to go because he's the son of Chris Pryor and isn't a Dubas hire?

I don't really think so, no. I've made some "idiot son" jokes but only for funsies.

Like I said he just hasn't been here long enough.

Now some of the staff that has been cruising through years worth of trashpile drafts... well...

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think the interesting thing to discuss is whether you need Pickering long-term if you can trade for and sign Hanifin to the kind of deal he'd be looking for. Hanifin is only 26 and a hypothetical 6 year extension will take him from his 27/28 year to his 33/34 year, which I think is totally manageable.

The catch here is that Pettersson is a UFA in 2 years and will be a UFA at 29. Do you give him a 5 or 6 year deal at that age? I wouldn't. But then again, should you be worrying about what 2+ years look down the line for having a replacement for Pettersson?

I'm probably just overthinking things and they should just do Pickering and a 2024 1st for Hanifin with an extension. Run with Hanifin-Letang and Pettersson-Petry for 2 years and then worry about Pettersson's potential contract issue in 2 years.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm probably just overthinking things and they should just do Pickering and a 2024 1st for Hanifin with an extension. Run with Hanifin-Letang and Pettersson-Petry for 2 years and then worry about Pettersson's potential contract issue in 2 years.

Our potential top four can then be called Hale Pepe.

That's my contribution to this thread.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
They missed the playoffs by 1 point last year with a horrendous bottom-6, Dumoulin actively hurting the top-4 and massive goaltending issues between health and issues with goaltending play.

They're not going to miss the playoffs next year. Last year was an anomaly. If they don't make the playoffs this year, Dubas would have to screw up massively this off-seaosn.
Yah, and 82 games of Malkin and Crosby.

That ain't happening again.

Reactions: Ryder71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

It sounds like Dubas is pretty happy with the Pickering and Yager picks.

Who knows. Even if you want to make judgments on the guys taken, you don't know how much he had to do with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of the front office people Dubas let go didn't deserve to go either though, which is what makes Pryor's status interesting as the highest ranking front office member who joined under Hextall by a mile. Everyone else other than him went (although Brett Hextall survived as Integrated Development Coach I note). It's pretty clear Dubas wants to put his own stamp on things.

Still, we've no idea what that means either. Totally plausible that Dubas likes his work and approach. Hell, totally possible that Dubas, a 30-something hockey lifer from a hockey family who started young as a scout, gets on well with Pryor, a 30-something hockey lifer from a hockey family who started young as a scout.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Not to mention that both OTT and BUF are going to be better. Dubas said himself we're not trading first rounders and he also mentioned Pickering by name. So, yeah, it's gonna be an uphill battle just to get into the playoffs.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The Penguins got hammered with injury issues outside of their top-6 and their depth players have historically stepped up when Crosby and Malkin got hurt in the past.

I'd rather deal with no Crosby or Malkin for 20-40 games next year than all of the other injuries they had.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

It's Pagnotta so not somebody like Seravalli, but interesting nonetheless.

-edit- Also, I gotta imagine this team is a top-10 pick if Sid and/or Geno miss like 30ish games next season. :laugh: As it stands now, anyway. We'll see what Dubas can do over the next couple weeks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It's Pagnotta so not somebody like Seravalli, but interesting nonetheless.

-edit- Also, I gotta imagine this team is a top-10 pick if Sid and/or Geno miss like 30ish games next season. :laugh: As it stands now, anyway. We'll see what Dubas can do over the next couple weeks.

Crosby missed 13 games and Malkin missed 41 games in 2021-2022 and the Penguins finished with 103 points.

If Dubas can't build a better roster than Hextall built for the 2021-2022 season, they have serious issues with their GM.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not to mention that both OTT and BUF are going to be better. Dubas said himself we're not trading first rounders and he also mentioned Pickering by name. So, yeah, it's gonna be an uphill battle just to get into the playoffs.

He flat out never said this.

He said that those assets would only be on the table for a young player, which Hanifin is.

Hanifin fits literally exactly the kind of player Dubas said he would consider trading his young assets for.

Reactions: Lustaf

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Crosby missed 13 games and Malkin missed 41 games in 2021-2022 and the Penguins finished with 103 points.

If Dubas can't build a better roster than Hextall built for the 2021-2022 season, they have serious issues with their GM.
As we all know, if it happens once, it'll always happen. :laugh:

Gonna need Rust to be a PPG player and Carter to be a 45+ point guy again like in the 2021-22 season, should those injuries come to pass. Not exactly confident in that if I'm being honest.

Friedman reports that the Leafs and Nylander negotiations aren't going well. I don't know that we have the assets to pull it off, but that's someone I'd be all for Dubas acquiring if he can.
Probably doesn't make them any closer to a Cup contender but I'll be damned if I said I wouldn't be excited to add a guy with his skill and ability.

Lose every game 7-6 on your way to an 0-82 record for all I care. As long as the games are fun. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... they're gonna miss games. They are both old and beat... especially Malkin.

But also... like... Crosby hasn't missed a TON of time with any serious injuries for years. And perhaps Malkin's big issues were largely addressed when he knuckled under and went under the knife. Knowing him he was probably playing banged up on a bum knee for years. And sports stars with career earnings in the 100s of millions sorta kinda have access to top notch doctors and facilities.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Tbf that was Rutherford's team at that point. Hextall added, what, two guys?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As we all know, if it happens once, it'll always happen. :laugh:

Gonna need Rust to be a PPG player and Carter to be a 45+ point guy again like in the 2021-22 season, should those injuries come to pass. Not exactly confident in that if I'm being honest.

Assuming Dubas brings in a competent 3rd line center, I don't see why they couldn't survive without Crosby or Malkin for a bit of time. Especially if the Hanifin rumor ends up true.

Now if both Crosby and Malkin get hurt at the same time, they're up shit creek without a paddle. But assuming they sign someone like Kerfoot to be their 3C, I don't think having Kerfoot as your 2C for 40 games (assuming Crosby and Malkin both miss 20 games) is going to sink this team. Especially with the caliber of wingers he's going to have with the Smith addition.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbf that was Rutherford's team at that point. Hextall added, what, two guys?

I think that team was a good bit different. That was after the expansion draft where they lost Tanev and McCann.

The lineup in the first half of that year was something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Carter-Kapanen
McGinn-Rodrigues-Heinen
ZAR-Blueger-Boyle

That was the year where Simon played in basically every game until he was traded to Anaheim due to how many injuries the Penguins had at forward.

Reactions: Peat

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Assuming Dubas brings in a competent 3rd line center, I don't see why they couldn't survive without Crosby or Malkin for a bit of time. Especially if the Hanifin rumor ends up true.

Now if both Crosby and Malkin get hurt at the same time, they're up shit creek without a paddle. But assuming they sign someone like Kerfoot to be their 3C, I don't think having Kerfoot as your 2C for 40 games (assuming Crosby and Malkin both miss 20 games) is going to sink this team. Especially with the caliber of wingers he's going to have with the Smith addition.
I think a lot of what we're discussing depends on how the goalie situation plays out, as well.

We'll see. They just missed the playoffs after fully healthy and productive seasons from Sid and Geno. I'm not gonna be surprised if they sink like a stone should one or both of them, particularly Sid, get injured for a lengthy period. /shrug

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think a lot of what we're discussing depends on how the goalie situation plays out, as well.

We'll see. They just missed the playoffs after fully healthy and productive seasons from Sid and Geno. I'm not gonna be surprised if they sink like a stone should one or both of them, particularly Sid, get injured for a lengthy period. /shrug

Don't worry if Sid gets injured Sullivan will be sure to sub in Granlund on the top line for great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad