Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also think it's a safe bet to assume that a majority of players with NTCs put all of Canada on their NTCs because most good players seem to not want to play in Canada. Or at least we only ever hear about good players who don't want to play in Canada.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

I get the feeling that there is pretty much no market for either Ullmark or Hellebuyck right now. Well, you can extend that to the goalie market in general, there is very little interest in spending assets or money on goalies right now.

I feel like it's not out of the question that Boston ends up trading Ullmark for next to nothing, like when Vegas traded Fleury for literally nothing. There are both enough goalies on the market and few enough teams looking for goalies that I'm skeptical we'll see any goalie traded for notable assets.

Lines up pretty good for us as far as the FA goalies, the impending FA or the guys that talked about wanting to get out not so much.

GM's likely arent going to move them for nothing if the market is silent and will wait until an injury comes along or more demand for goalies are out there

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
With Schmid and Vanacek still? I have doubts but Schmid is waivers-exempt still though so, maybe they could run Jarry-Vanny as 1A/1B but like I said, if Ullmark is available for little cost, why Jarry and not Ullmark?

I mean, say the price is a 3rd or 4th? Who is honestly going to take Jarry?
The Devils just got eliminated in a playoff series in which they had to pull their starting goaltender in every single game. I don’t believe for a second that they are going to run with the same goalie tandem

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Devils just got eliminated in a playoff series in which they had to pull their starting goaltender in every single game. I don’t believe for a second that they are going to run with the same goalie tandem
Why not? Pens have done the same with bad playoff goaltending for years

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You're right but that's why they're in on Hellebuyck. I don't think Jarry would do it for them.

Lines up pretty good for us as far as the FA goalies, the impending FA or the guys that talked about wanting to get out not so much.

GM's likely arent going to move them for nothing if the market is silent and will wait until an injury comes along or more demand for goalies are out there

Issue with Boston doing this is that it makes Swayman a prime offersheet candidate and will results in Boston having an awful roster if they don't lose Swayman.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
You're right but that's why they're in on Hellebuyck. I don't think Jarry would do it for them.

Issue with Boston doing this is that it makes Swayman a prime offersheet candidate and will results in Boston having an awful roster if they don't lose Swayman.
I agree, Boston can’t really afford to wait for better offers. Winnipeg and Anaheim don’t need to trade their goalies yet. Boston really needs to trade one of theirs… and pretty soon

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So far the best return anyone moving 4m+ of cap and taking none back has got is, depending on your feelings on Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula, is a 3rd. Might change once Newhook and Colton sign deals.

If Boston do decide they'd rather move some guys out rather than spend a year sucking, I don't think they can expect a superior return for Ullmark.

edit: And if they do, then that's the bar to beat.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Can we get Josh Norris for Granlund and Carter? Just ask, Dubas

Yes, but @Empoleon8771 Petry isn't going to waive for Ottawa.

So far the best return anyone moving 4m+ of cap and taking none back has got is, depending on your feelings on Ian Mitchell and Alec Regula, is a 3rd. Might change once Newhook and Colton sign deals.

If Boston do decide they'd rather move some guys out rather than spend a year sucking, I don't think they can expect a superior return for Ullmark.

Which is why I'm saying with the alleged news that Bergeron and Krejci aren't anticipated back then why not just sign the guys and try to find better fits for trades next season?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah I know Boston fans kept insisting that it wasn't comparable, but it's kinda hard to rationalize Boston getting a good return for Ullmark when Fleury was traded in the same exact situation (cap dump after winning a Vezina) a few years ago for nothing. Bruins fans just say "Ullmark is younger" or "Ullmark costs less", as if the driving factor in their value is their ability/age/contract and not their team's horrendous cap situation.

I would give them POJ and a minor draft pick to convince them to move Ullmark, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I did a double edit: They have 4 kids and it was hell doing the border crossing by herself.

Pandemic had a lot to do with it to, but as you can see, 4 kids + customs, long lines.
I can sympathize with that, but now that travel to Canada is back to normal, I don't see why it's any more difficult than going to like 20 other teams in the league :dunno:

I'm just pointing out that travel to Canada is different now than it was when he was in Montreal and wanted out.

Not to get political but Canada started to implement a bunch of restrictions and Petry seems like the type of person that has just had enough of the North and would likely just rather stay in the states.

Whos to say something else doesn't come up and you get more Canada restrictions, if it bothered him that much and hes coming towards the end of his career I just dont see it
Maybe, but when I pointed out that travel to Canada is different now, I was also told that he wants to stay close to family. Can't guarantee both when you only have a 15 NTC list.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Which is why I'm saying with the alleged news that Bergeron and Krejci aren't anticipated back then why not just sign the guys and try to find better fits for trades next season?

Because if someone throws a $4.3 million offersheet at Swayman, they either can't match it and lose him for a 2nd or they match it and don't have enough cap space to fill out their roster.

They have $10.9 million in cap space with 6 F, 7 D and 1 G under contract. They also don't have a 1st, 2nd or 3rd next year or a 2nd in 2025, so paying to get out of say Reilly's deal won't be super easy for them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That would probably be the smart thing to do, particularly with a poor C free market.

Which of course isn't an NHL thing to do. But maybe they will.

They also have none of their first three picks for next year (although the 1st is top 10 protected) which kind of takes the gloss off of the idea of "be crap and reload, then come back and swinging".

I think I'd expect them to cave and make space to do something. That could be DeBrusk and Grzelcyk rather than Ullmark though.

Because if someone throws a $4.3 million offersheet at Swayman, they either can't match it and lose him for a 2nd or they match it and don't have enough cap space to fill out their roster.

Tbf that offer sheet might be the best offer to clear cap they'll get. I know they don't want to lose him cheap but if you're gonna have to do so, then your promising 1B goalie isn't the worse place to do it. That might be don't threaten them with a good time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbf that offer sheet might be the best offer to clear cap they'll get. I know they don't want to lose him cheap but if you're gonna have to do so, then your promising 1B goalie isn't the worse place to do it. That might be don't threaten them with a good time.

I think they'd be really upset with that because they can likely trade Swayman for way more than just the 2nd round compensation in that case.

I think selling Swayman off for futures is exactly what they should do. They'll recover a good amount of futures and they still have a Vezina winner as their starter. It's just that a team can throw a predatory offersheet at them that will only give them a 2nd, which sucks for Boston.

Which if I were Kyle Dubas, I'd be planning on doing that on July 1st if they don't trade Ullmark. 1 year, $4.25 million is a 2nd round compensation and it pretty much guarantees that he'll either hit UFA early or make at least $4.25 million every year until UFA.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think they'd be really upset with that because they can likely trade Swayman for way more than just the 2nd round compensation in that case.

I think selling Swayman off for futures is exactly what they should do. They'll recover a good amount of futures and they still have a Vezina winner as their starter. It's just that a team can throw a predatory offersheet at them that will only give them a 2nd, which sucks for Boston.

I'm not sure Swayman is any more immune to the price depreciation that comes with a flat cap and a struggling team than Ullmark or the others. Or the depressed market on goaltending that is affecting Ullmark. Sure, in better times they could sell him for more... but that goes for whoever they sell.

But yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they go another route, or match and sell off someone at a really bad price.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I get the feeling that there is pretty much no market for either Ullmark or Hellebuyck right now. Well, you can extend that to the goalie market in general, there is very little interest in spending assets or money on goalies right now.

I feel like it's not out of the question that Boston ends up trading Ullmark for next to nothing, like when Vegas traded Fleury for literally nothing. There are both enough goalies on the market and few enough teams looking for goalies that I'm skeptical we'll see any goalie traded for notable assets.

That’s what happens when a team wins the cup with Aiden hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad