Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Were the border restrictions COVID related? Canada has loosened those and it's back to how it was pre-pandemic.

He wants to be closer to his family and he's a 4 hour drive from them now. Ottawa is worse than being in Montreal. They don't want to do it, period. Again.

Edit: Ottawa would be the same, not worse.

Double edit: They have 4 kids and it was hell for his wife to do the Canada/US border crossing.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pool Party wont be qualified and be a UFA. I think the guy is done as he's going to have double hip surgery and be out a long time. Back to EU for him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
"The thing that makes me doubt this though is that I firmly do not believe that Petry would allow a trade to Ottawa."

I get what you are saying. But Petry wouldn’t allow a trade to Ottawa.

You went out of your way to reply and didn't even quote the entire proposal. JFC. SMH.

And to be fair, we were discussing packages. I imagine in my proposal, additional picks and prospects on both side are needed. Certainly not Jake for Hanifin+Lindhol, you dolt.

POJ and Ty Smith have no value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I get the feeling that there is pretty much no market for either Ullmark or Hellebuyck right now. Well, you can extend that to the goalie market in general, there is very little interest in spending assets or money on goalies right now.

I feel like it's not out of the question that Boston ends up trading Ullmark for next to nothing, like when Vegas traded Fleury for literally nothing. There are both enough goalies on the market and few enough teams looking for goalies that I'm skeptical we'll see any goalie traded for notable assets.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He wants to be closer to his family and he's a 4 hour drive from them now. Ottawa is worse than being in Montreal. They don't want to do it, period. Again.
But he doesn't have a full-NTC. According to Cap Friendly, it's only a 15 team list. If it's all about how close he is to his family (which I'm assuming is Michigan??) then I mean Ottawa would be closer than most of the Western Conference, Tampa, Florida, Montreal, Boston, Carolina, and on par with the New York teams, Philly, and Washington.

I like Petry and I'm not really desperate to move him. But I'm just asking why he won't play in Canada again. With the COVID restrictions, I get it, but those are gone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another thing regarding the non-existent goalie market: does the awful market lessen Jarry's demands? Who's going to pay Jarry over $5 million a year? Ottawa really seems like the only team that might do that.

I could see a scenario where Jarry would take a short term, less money deal and then try in UFA again in maybe 2 or 3 years. He'll still be young at that point and he could hit UFA coming off a strong season instead of a weak season.

Will be interesting to see how we go. Really hope we don’t resign Jars.

I don't want them to either but I think Dubas is keeping that option in his back pocket.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well according to you he's getting a 5+yr, $5mil+ deal, so yeah I hope not.

I'm questioning that at this point based on how dead the goalie market is. Ottawa is really the only team I can find who might do that. Other teams interested in a goalie (like Carolina and New Jersey) don't seem like fits to do that.

If you can get Jarry at 3 years and $4.5 million AAV, I'd have a hard time saying no to that unless you could get Ullmark for basically nothing.

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Another thing regarding the non-existent goalie market: does the awful market lessen Jarry's demands? Who's going to pay Jarry over $5 million a year? Ottawa really seems like the only team that might do that.

I could see a scenario where Jarry would take a short term, less money deal and then try in UFA again in maybe 2 or 3 years. He'll still be young at that point and he could hit UFA coming off a strong season instead of a weak season.

I don't want them to either but I think Dubas is keeping that option in his back pocket.
Exactly, if Ullmark is available at $5mil x 2yrs for next to nothing, why would a team sign Jarry to anything similar?

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
But he doesn't have a full-NTC. According to Cap Friendly, it's only a 15 team list. If it's all about how close he is to his family (which I'm assuming is Michigan??) then I mean Ottawa would be closer than most of the Western Conference, Tampa, Florida, Montreal, Boston, Carolina, and on par with the New York teams, Philly, and Washington.

I like Petry and I'm not really desperate to move him. But I'm just asking why he won't play in Canada again. With the COVID restrictions, I get it, but those are gone.

I did a double edit: They have 4 kids and it was hell doing the border crossing by herself.

Pandemic had a lot to do with it to, but as you can see, 4 kids + customs, long lines.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don’t think Jarry’s ask matters. There’s no amount of money that makes him good enough to win a cup imo. If he wants to be a backup, sure.

Reactions: Andy99 and Lustaf

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I mean Ullmark is only available because Boston has Swayman. I could still see a team like New Jersey giving Jarry 4 or 5 years at $5 million
With Schmid and Vanacek still? I have doubts but Schmid is waivers-exempt still though so, maybe they could run Jarry-Vanny as 1A/1B but like I said, if Ullmark is available for little cost, why Jarry and not Ullmark?

I mean, say the price is a 3rd or 4th? Who is honestly going to take Jarry?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean Ullmark is only available because Boston has Swayman. I could still see a team like New Jersey giving Jarry 4 or 5 years at $5 million

I don't think New Jersey would do that because I don't think Jarry is a notable enough upgrade on Vanecek for them. It's the same way with Carolina, I don't think they'd want to give that big deal to Jarry over running with Andersen-Kochetkov.

I think Jarry falls in that "prime aged platoon goalie" category, which is the same category that guys like Korpisalo and Hill are in (or were in with Hill). It seems like most teams looking at goalies aren't looking for that right now, I think teams are looking for either clear starter upgrades or veterans for their young goalies.

Ottawa makes a lot of sense to me for Jarry because they have literally nothing in net and probably can't convince Hellebuyck or Ullmark to go there. But with someone like Buffalo, why would they give Jarry a huge deal when Levi is their goalie of the future? Or with someone like New Jersey, is Jarry even enough of an upgrade on Vanecek for them to even bother doing it?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Not to get political but Canada started to implement a bunch of restrictions and Petry seems like the type of person that has just had enough of the North and would likely just rather stay in the states.

Whos to say something else doesn't come up and you get more Canada restrictions, if it bothered him that much and hes coming towards the end of his career I just dont see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad