Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If you think that risk is high enough, then you should be advocating to nuke this team and start the rebuild now.

Also in this specific example, Hanifin is a young player that you ideally keep around after this year. Re-sign him now and trade him in 3 years when it's time to rebuild, you'll probably get most (if not all) of what you paid for him back.
I just want to cover our asses. It was easy to move firsts like candy when we knew that barring catastrophe we'd be in the playoffs. We no longer have that certainty, so we need to be careful.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not to mention I'd just rather take the risk and be serious about trying to make some noise rather than sit here watching Sid, Geno, and Tanger skate around in the mediocre middle without enough help counting off the days until we can rebuild. The falloff happens then, so be it. There'll be plenty more high 1sts coming. There's a lot less days of these three.

Yeah. Signing the core for one last ride makes no sense if you're only going to the local corner store, picking up some smokes and a lottery ticket and heading back home.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Not to mention I'd just rather take the risk and be serious about trying to make some noise rather than sit here watching Sid, Geno, and Tanger skate around in the mediocre middle without enough help counting off the days until we can rebuild. The falloff happens then, so be it. There'll be plenty more high 1sts coming. There's a lot less days of these three.
That's fair. I have more reservations than you guys do. I want to compete, but I'm not sure I'm willing to move that first yet to try and do so. Maybe by mid season if we look for real. Feels so damned risky to do it now.

The boy wonder about to bring us Debrincat?

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could see the talk with the Senators being about Petry. Right now, Ottawa's defense is this:

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-XXXXXX
Sanderson-XXXXX
Brannstrom

They sound like they're not bringing Hamonic or Holden back, so they have 2 openings on RD. The thing that makes me doubt this though is that I firmly do not believe that Petry would allow a trade to Ottawa. Their defense is very young and not physical, which are 2 things Petry brings to the table.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's fair. I have more reservations than you guys do. I want to compete, but I'm not sure I'm willing to move that first yet to try and do so. Maybe by mid season if we look for real. Feels so damned risky to do it now.

I think there's something to be said for waiting to see if we're still for real before investing.

But at the same time, we have to invest, and the big opportunities don't wait around. And nobody wins crap in this league without taking a gamble.

I'm not sure Hanifin is that guy. But if Dubas thinks he is that big can't wait high end LD opportunity, then I think that he, well, can't wait.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If we acquire Joseph for Ruhwedel that gives us 13 million with 10 forwards.

Add in Smith, Poehling and DOC and that gives you around 9 million to sign a goaltender, a bottom six forward, and a LD with no additional moves. Seems reasonable and also gives us space to do another trade.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Nothing else will happen unless Pens trade Rust or someone else to get our defensemen better..

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Dubas acquired Matt Murray from Ottawa, tho'

Maybe we deal out Ruhwedel for him.

I mean if we get out of a contract like Ruh then ya. But he had a rough year last year and has 3 more at 3mill

If we acquire Joseph for Ruhwedel that gives us 13 million with 10 forwards.

Add in Smith, Poehling and DOC and that gives you around 9 million to sign a goaltender, a bottom six forward, and a LD with no additional moves. Seems reasonable and also gives us space to do another trade.

Is Joseph a center?

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
Patience people, patience.

Anyone here old enough to remember the movie colors?…..when Robert Duvall tells the story of the young Bull and the old Bull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad