Salary Cap: Pens Off Season Thread: Pre Free Agency Shenanigans!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Yeah wouldn’t the purpose of getting Hanifin be help solidify our LD? I don’t see how moving Petts for Hanifin really does that. Unless they could sign Orlov as well

Reactions: pistolpete11

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Yeah wouldn’t the purpose of getting Hanifin be help solidify our LD? I don’t see how moving Petts for Hanifin really does that. Unless they could sign Orlov as well
The way I see it, we have 3 NHL quality LD. Pettersson, POJ, Smith. One goes if Hanifin comes in, and preferrably it's not the Dragon.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
The way I see it, we have 3 NHL quality LD. Pettersson, POJ, Smith. One goes if Hanifin comes in, and preferrably it's not the Dragon.
I’d be 100% cool with losing Smith as part of a package for Hanifin.

But yeah, he’s likely the last one they’d want of the three.

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013

Attachments

• i-dont-believe-you.gif
    i-dont-believe-you.gif
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No chance I'm moving our 2024 first. I don't trust us to be good and even if you lottery protect it that just gives them 2025 first instead which is even worse.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Pittsburgh Penguins
@Penguins
·
46s
The Penguins have traded the 90th pick in the 2023 NHL Draft to the New York Rangers for the 91st pick (yes, the next pick) and the Rangers 7th round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft.
JFC, Dubas got bent over!! Highway robbery.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If they're adding Hanifin, Smith and Ullmark to the team this off-season, they're absolutely not missing the playoffs next year.
I dunno man. Nobody wants to admit it but our stars are at the age now where their play could start to seriously decline.

I don't expect it to happen this year but the risk is real.

Also, we had some big time injury luck last year, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see this year be one of those years where Sid and Geno each miss like 40 games a piece. And that'd probably kill us, even with those trades.

I'd be very uncomfortable moving that pick.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If they're adding Hanifin, Smith and Ullmark to the team this off-season, they're absolutely not missing the playoffs next year.
Idk, Sullivan is that horrible.

The many blown leads over the past 3 years has to be a coaching problem. The complete lack of care defensively when they have the lead is astounding. I don't trust Sullivan to make the right moves, play the right players, etc.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They missed the playoffs by 1 point last year with a horrendous bottom-6, Dumoulin actively hurting the top-4 and massive goaltending issues between health and issues with goaltending play.

They're not going to miss the playoffs next year. Last year was an anomaly. If they don't make the playoffs this year, Dubas would have to screw up massively this off-seaosn.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also, if you're not willing to spend assets to improve the team, what exactly are you doing? Being mad that this team isn't good enough while simultaneously refusing to spend assets to make the team better makes no sense. If you think it is likely the Penguins miss the playoffs next year, blow the team up as much as you can.

Not only that, but I very much imagine that Dubas would want to get Hanifin signed long-term as a part of trading for him this off-season. You can trade a 2024 1st for him now and likely recover a 2027 1st in a few years. Hanifin is still a young and really good defenseman.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I dunno man. Nobody wants to admit it but our stars are at the age now where their play could start to seriously decline.

Also, we had some big time injury luck last year, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see this year be one of those years where Sid and Geno each miss like 40 games a piece. And that'd probably kill us, even with those trades.

This is exactly why I'm waiting as long as possible to sell futures. I need some certainty this year. The core is not the advantage-maker it used to be. Even last year, their numbers were a bit flattered by higher scoring leaguewide. 90 points doesn't have the same punch when the scoring leader had 60 more. Repeating that is basically best case scenario. It's up to KD to moneypuck this thing.

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
They missed the playoffs by 1 point last year with a horrendous bottom-6, Dumoulin actively hurting the top-4 and massive goaltending issues between health and issues with goaltending play.

They're not going to miss the playoffs next year. Last year was an anomaly. If they don't make the playoffs last year, Dubas would have to screw up massively this off-seaosn.
I don't think they'll miss but it's not like it was where they're a slam pick playoff team. They're gonna have to fight for it.

And when you're a team that has to fight for it rather than being all but assured a spot, you gotta be careful with your assets. And especially when you're a team with old players whose play might start to decline. We already saw it last year with Letang. What if it happens to Sid and/or Geno this year? Then it might not matter what Dubas did with the bottom six if our top six isn't performing at a high enough level.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Our injury luck last year consisted of our usually above average goalie (well, over the year) missing a ton of time and becoming slightly below average with long spells of sucking when he was playing through an injury -

and having our top 4 dmen miss 22 games each, with the result that a defence that was top 10 when they were all fit instead finished comfortably below average

Frankly I'd have rather lost Sid or Geno for 40 compared to that.

There's always the risk that one of the key players will just drop off a cliff but in terms of injury luck, it would have to be catastrophic to make the team worse than it did last year. I know we were lucky with the top six but I'd rather have bad luck all around the team rather than targeted in one place.

Not to mention I'd just rather take the risk and be serious about trying to make some noise rather than sit here watching Sid, Geno, and Tanger skate around in the mediocre middle without enough help counting off the days until we can rebuild. The falloff happens then, so be it. There'll be plenty more high 1sts coming. There's a lot less days of these three.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think they'll miss but it's not like it was where they're a slam pick playoff team. They're gonna have to fight for it.

And when you're a team that has to fight for it rather than being all but assured a spot, you gotta be careful with your assets. And especially when you're a team with old players whose play might start to decline. We already saw it last year with Letang. What if it happens to Sid and/or Geno this year? Then it might not matter what Dubas did with the bottom six if our top six isn't performing at a high enough level.

If you think that risk is high enough, then you should be advocating to nuke this team and start the rebuild now.

Also in this specific example, Hanifin is a young player that you ideally keep around after this year. Re-sign him now and trade him in 3 years when it's time to rebuild, you'll probably get most (if not all) of what you paid for him back.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Also, if you're not willing to spend assets to improve the team, what exactly are you doing? Being mad that this team isn't good enough while simultaneously refusing to spend assets to make the team better makes no sense. If you think it is likely the Penguins miss the playoffs next year, blow the team up as much as you can.

Not only that, but I very much imagine that Dubas would want to get Hanifin signed long-term as a part of trading for him this off-season. You can trade a 2024 1st for him now and likely recover a 2027 1st in a few years. Hanifin is still a young and really good defenseman.
I was quite willing to move the 14th overall. I don't think super highly of that draft slot. And I'd be fine with moving a Pickering or a Poulin, neither of whom I'm that high on.

But I do want to be careful with our first round pick moving forward. We can't afford not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad