Confirmed Signing with Link: [UTA] F Dylan Guenther signs extension with the Utah Hockey Club (8 years, $7M+ AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Seems like a really big gamble with very little potential payoff.

If he scores near a ppg how much more could he get? Raymond just had 72 points and got 8x8.

If the cap rises substantially, that would likely affect things. If they bridged him for 2-3 years, what's an 8x8 today looking like in 26-27?

Reactions: Soundgarden

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This will be a gross steal of a deal for Utah in about 3 years… I truly think he will be putting up 40 goals in the next year or 2

I’m actually surprised Guenther didn’t sign a bridge deal cause after those 2 or 3 years, he would definitely be up for an even more massive of a contract

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I'm a betting man, and I think this contract will age beautifully. Guenther has followed up on his early pre-draft promise as a high end scorer. Needs more reps in the NHL and may hit a sophomore slump, but he's dangerous and will score many goals whether he sticks next to a guy like Cooley or not

I have no problem seeing him as a not-so-distant future 40 goal scorer

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Tough to make a call on it today, but that's a lot of risk. If he's your #1RW three years from now, that's a decent AAV. But if he gets passed on the depth chart and he's a second liner, your payroll is probably going to be higher than you want it to be.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Who?

I'm not kidding, never heard that name once and now he's making +7M?
He's a great prospect that's put up high numbers relative to his age in every league he has played in. Projects to be a 1st line sniper, could be a 30-40 goal, 80+ point player.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
pay attention more
Why? Draft picks outside of your own team after are all gravy after like #6 overall. This guy has played almost as much in the AHL during the last two years as in the show.

So I'm sorry that I've not paid more attention to a guy who hasn't even been an NHL regular, who is yet going to be making more than 50M bucks guaranteed during the next 9 years.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Might seem a bit risky in that it's maybe 4 months too early but 7x7 is basically the new 6x6. And more and more teams are realizing it's better to lock up potential franchise cornerstones than risk having them walk to free agency via short to medium length deals like Calgary stupidly did.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a stud. I don’t see nearly the risk some do. His game and his shot clearly play at a high, high level in the NHL already. Risk management is not simply about age and experience and “this player deserves X amount because this other player who is more proven got Y amount”.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You've spent enough time here to make 16,000 posts but never heard of Dylan Guenther?

I don’t even understand why people make these posts…even if you aren’t a big NHL fan and haven’t heard of him, you can take 30 seconds to look it up.

People make comments like these because they are trying to be willfully ignorant to emphasize their “shock” at something.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Who?

I'm not kidding, never heard that name once and now he's making +7M?
All those posts on this site and you have never heard of Guenther???? Hmmmm ya I don’t buy it for a second lol

Anyways, the contract will be a massive steal in a few years

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
7 million will be complimentary player type money very, very soon. This is a good bet for Utah. Detroit got a potential steal with Raymond at 8 million and Seider at 8 million, but that doesn’t discredit this contract.

Think about the players making 4-5m this year that play like 4-5m players. Guenther has the ability to become that and more.

Do we really worry he’s not going to atleast somewhat be guranteed to have an Ondrej Palat-esque impact during his UFA years with this contract?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Wow, I think he's a good player but that is a HUGE bet to make, but if he improves from last season hard to see it as an overpay

Honestly if he just continues to play like he did last year it won’t be an overpay. He paced at 33 goals and 64 points on 2.7 shots per game with nothing unsustainable about his metrics and middle six ice time.

But yeah…hard to not seem him getting better. The guy has an absolute nose for the net.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad