Rumor: Penguins targeting Garland in talks with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Right? Everytime you have a chance to make the playoffs, you go for it. Garland is also signed for 4 more years, so i don't see the rush here. But it's OK if you fans already gave up on your team. I know i wouldn't. Look at the Habs last year, anything can happen.

Lol love the gatekeeping on who is a fan and who isn't. We're not "giving up" on the team, we just prefer a better long-term plan that potentially turns us into a Cup contender instead of a fringe playoff team. It's ok if you have lower expectations for your team, though. I'd much prefer this team to trade players that likely won't re-sign and who are at peak value (Miller) to improve the team over the next decade rather than chase a ~30% chance at the playoffs and gain no value for assets.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You didn't mention Marino as being under contract for next year, so I'm not sure if you're impying he moves in this deal or in another.

And the fact of the matter is, we cannot have Pettersson + Marino + Matheson + Dumoulin + Letang (who we should be aiming to retain), AND still be able to sign Malkin and Rust (who we should be aiming to retain).

Our path to retaining Letang, Malkin & Rust entails moving at least one of those other Dmen, and Kapanen, and possibly Zucker as well (especially if we did bring in one of Garland or Boeser).

If, on the other hand, your plan includes letting go of one of Malkin, Letang or Rust next year, then we will no longer be contenders, and that's overall just a strategy I don't agree with and trying to achieve with my proposals for this year and next.

See, that is all situational, like if they were losing Malkin I'd target Miller, and if you were losing Rust (for me) it starts with Boeser and then Garland. If Letang is either, or, you can't move Marino in either situation. You will have to move one of Dumoulin, Matheson or Pettersson. Not ideal, but tech. they could move two of those guys due to depth at LD and run one of those three (I pick Matheson) and slide Freidman up and bring up POJ.

Next season is a total up in the air mess.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Lol love the gatekeeping on who is a fan and who isn't. We're not "giving up" on the team, we just prefer a better long-term plan that potentially turns us into a Cup contender instead of a fringe playoff team. It's ok if you have lower expectations for your team, though. I'd much prefer this team to trade players that likely won't re-sign and who are at peak value (Miller) to improve the team over the next decade rather than chase a ~30% chance at the playoffs and gain no value for assets.

Are we talking about UFAs here or guys like Boeser, Garland, Miller that are still under contract next season? Maybe i missed something though

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Malkin isn't a great skater? Ok, he may not be as fast as he was when he was 23, but he has never, ever had issues with his skating. On the contrary.

Garland may not be as big as Boeser, but he plays as big or bigger than Boeser. He also brings a more consistent work ethic and 200 ft game. And we don't necessarily need a guy that's going to score 30 G but has more holes in his game. We need someone who is a consistent offensive producer unlike the up & down Kapanen & Rodrigues, and Garland has been extremely consistent for a few years now.

I don't have an issue with Garland's compete level, he clearly doesn't check "all" the boxes. I certainly don't hate he's a 5 on 5 producer, but Boeser plays in all but defensive situations. That makes him a more rounded player for this team. Like, I'd be down for a switch of Zucker to Garland. Not for getting him, to be clear for Vancouver fans. Just that was what Zucker was supposed to be for this team. The cap and everything is close but production/Age.

On Malkin, yes, even in the early days he swung back to gain momentum. I don't think there's a memory to be had where his start up equaled to being fast. Like ever. Talent kind of takes over there. Maybe some actual minor spurts of pure effort. The guy is big and lanky and has had two knee surgeries. I'd never consider Geno fast in the sense of pure speed.

The looping is just part of his game.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I'm hoping for Garland and Schenn. Wonder what that would cost. KK and Marino?

I’ll be very disappointed with our management if they move both of those players, that deal makes us so much softer to play against. Schenn is a beast and Garland plays big, he’s gritty and pesty. Canucks are a soft team this makes us unbelievably soft, we’re also a team stuck in cap hell and those are two of the better contracts on the team. Such a stupid idea to trade Garland and Schenn and look to re-sign Miller and Boeser. We need a proper fixing up, not more lipstick on a pig.

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Bullseye... right in the center.

Though Garland would be "okay" I'm just not as enamored with him as Boeser.
Boeser checks all the boxes save blazing speed, but not particularly slow either.

Garland checks some of the boxes save size, but he's used rarely on the PP and good 5on 5.

I would much rather keep Garland rather than Boeser, personally.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I’ll be very disappointed with our management if they move both of those players, that deal makes us so much softer to play against. Schenn is a beast and Garland plays big, he’s gritty and pesty. Canucks are a soft team this makes us unbelievably soft, we’re also a team stuck in cap hell and those are two of the better contracts on the team. Such a stupid idea to trade Garland and Schenn and look to re-sign Miller and Boeser. We need a proper fixing up, not more lipstick on a pig.

I don’t see VAN moving Schenn unless it’s an overpayment. To have a guy on Leah’s minimum playing a meaningful role — especially when you’re near the cap and don’t have other young guys on ELCs to step in and competently take his place — it just doesn’t make sense for them to move him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't have an issue with Garland's compete level, he clearly doesn't check "all" the boxes. I certainly don't hate he's a 5 on 5 producer, but Boeser plays in all but defensive situations. That makes him a more rounded player for this team. Like, I'd be down for a switch of Zucker to Garland. Not for getting him, to be clear for Vancouver fans. Just that was what Zucker was supposed to be for this team. The cap and everything is close but production/Age.

There’s a reason why you’re seeing the vast majority of VAN fans wanting to keep Garland over Boeser. I think that says most of what you need to know or what I’m trying to say.

You know that the priority for Sullivan is the compete factor, being difficult to play against, tenacious work ethic, etc. Boeser has very different skills, and he may be a better fit for other teams between those two.

But for THIS team, Garland is the better fit and is also less expensive salary-wise and provided cost-certainty.

Considering my plan & roster projections include retaining Malkin, Letang and Rust and trying to compete for the next 2-3 years and not just this one, we need the lower cap hit Garland would provide over Boeser, besides him being a better fit for our team IMO.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
There’s a reason why you’re seeing the vast majority of VAN fans wanting to keep Garland over Boeser. I think that says most of what you need to know or what I’m trying to say.

You know that the priority for Sullivan is the compete factor, being difficult to play against, tenacious work ethic, etc. Boeser has very different skills, and he may be a better fit for other teams between those two.

But for THIS team, Garland is the better fit and is also less expensive salary-wise and provided cost-certainty.

Considering my plan & roster projections include retaining Malkin, Letang and Rust and trying to compete for the next 2-3 years and not just this one, we need the lower cap hit Garland would provide over Boeser, besides him being a better fit for our team IMO.

We certainly differ here. The teams stance (that's Hex/Sully) have brought up about production not team speed or tenacity.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

We certainly differ here. The teams stance (that's Hex/Sully) have brought up about production not team speed or tenacity.

Both are very good players, both are legit 2nd line RW's, IMO.

Just very different.

Boeser has the overall offensive talent and shot to produce points. With the right line-mates/center, 70 points isn't out of the question barring injury (albeit that may be a concern). But outside of produce points, he doesn't do much... can't skate, can't check, can't hit, can't PK and doesn't really create much on his own.

Garland on the other hand zips all around the ice like a pesky waterbug, irritating opposing players and creating opportunities out of nothing for himself and his line-mates at 5-on-5. Hasn't shown much of a shot, isn't going to be a PKer, doesn't have the offensive talent Boeser does, but is much more of a play-driver.

The reason a lot of Canucks fans are high on Garland is because when he's not producing, he's still at least noticeable and doing stuff. Boeser, on the other hand, is frustratingly useless when he's not on his game.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
f*** sakes.

How many Van/Pit threads do we need when it’s obvious they don’t really fit as trading partners?

6+ apparently.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I think a perfect analogy I would use is the Neal for the Hornqvist decision. There’s no question that Neal was a more gifted goal scorer — a legit 40G guy on Geno’s wing. Hornqvist was more of a ~25 G guy but had a ton of other qualities, tangibles and intangibles, that made him a better fit for this team. I see Boeser vs Garland similarly as Neal vs Hornqvist.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006

I apologize to Canucks and Penguins fans for making another Penguins-Canucks thread, but I just saw this from last night. The Penguins are mostly targeting guys with term and the discussions with Vancouver have mostly been around Garland, not Boeser or Miller.

I would much rather trade Miller because he is in his prime and we are no where near contending. We are both wasting each other's time, his production would prevent us from a full tank and his prime is wasted on a non playoff team.

Garland on the other hand is a young player where we are build around, i think it would take a lot before we are going to trade him away, it takes a lot more than most teams are willing to pay. Start from grade A prospect and a first round pick. No one in the right mind would agree to that.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think a perfect analogy I would use is the Neal for the Hornqvist decision. There’s no question that Neal was a more gifted goal scorer — a legit 40G guy on Geno’s wing. Hornqvist was more of a ~25 G guy but had a ton of other qualities, tangibles and intangibles, that made him a better fit for this team. I see Boeser vs Garland similarly as Neal vs Hornqvist.

The issue is the team needs a Neal not a Hornqvist. We look like the 14-15 Pens who needed to add Kessel.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The issue is the team needs a Neal not a Hornqvist. We look like the 14-15 Pens who needed to add Kessel.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be happy with either. I do think Garland is a better fit. We can just agree to disagree on that front, there’s plenty of people on both sides.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Are we talking about UFAs here or guys like Boeser, Garland, Miller that are still under contract next season? Maybe i missed something though

Boeser isn't under contract for next year but is an RFA with a high qualifying offer. Miller only has one more year after this season and could receive a bigger haul now. Once again, if you can't appreciate planning long-term rather than chasing a 30% chance, then maybe the issue is on you and not the fans you're taking issue with.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Boeser isn't under contract for next year but is an RFA with a high qualifying offer. Miller only has one more year after this season and could receive a bigger haul now. Once again, if you can't appreciate planning long-term rather than chasing a 30% chance, then maybe the issue is on you and not the fans you're taking issue with.
To be clear I have nothing against their fans and I like the Canucks. I just don't see the emergency of selling. Doubt they get much more now than they will this summer. Maybe for Miller, but he's the one they want to keep, it seems

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
f*** sakes.

How many Van/Pit threads do we need when it’s obvious they don’t really fit as trading partners?

6+ apparently.
Screenshot_48.jpg

not trading partners?
lol

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Ok I get it, HFboards is a site where everybody like prospects and tanking but holyguacamole, Vancouver switch their situation since the coach. They are maybe not cup contender but definitly playoffs contender, why being sellers?

I would trade Garland for a similar tool, a better fit for Horvat.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I think there's a fundamental impasse here: the Penguins cannot afford to trade John Marino because we do not have another top four right defenceman this season and because Kris Letang might walk in the summer. Meanwhile Marino is basically the only interesting player on the Penguins for Vancouver.

This whole thing hinges on whether Pens management is willing to make what I would consider a big mistake.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
This would have to be a hockey trade, right? 3 points back with 2 games in hand... would love to see them knock Vegas out of a playoff spot.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Ok I get it, HFboards is a site where everybody like prospects and tanking but holyguacamole, Vancouver switch their situation since the coach. They are maybe not cup contender but definitly playoffs contender, why being sellers?

I would trade Garland for a similar tool, a better fit for Horvat.
Defence sucks and cap structure is a mess, Miller might not re-sign so maximize his trade value now. A player like Boeser/Garland would probably be a hockey trade for a youngish top 4 dman to address team need.

Reactions: bleuetbio

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad