Rumor: Penguins targeting Garland in talks with Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think the better question is who is a better fit with Geno? Because ultimately that's what the Pens need. Doesn't matter which player is "better", but which one plays a game that will fit best with Geno.

Or alternatively, if Rust stays with Geno, which player would fit better with Sid/Guentzel. Again, not which player is "better", but which player plays a style that would fit better with either of the Pens' top two centers.
Boeser IMO.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
People need to realize that Garland has never scored more than 39 points in any season. And has only scored more than 14 goals once, yes I understand he could do that this season.

But like his best season is what ERod has done this season. Let that sink in. And yet people want to trade a Top 4 RD signed to reasonable contract for him. No, just no.

Kapanen is every bit the player that Garland is. So they wanna do a swap, then maybe ok.

But if the Pens are trading Marino they better be getting something way better than Garland.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
People need to realize that Garland has never scored more than 39 points in any season. And has only scored more than 14 goals once, yes I understand he could do that this season.

But like his best season is what ERod has done this season. Let that sink in. And yet people want to trade a Top 4 RD signed to reasonable contract for him. No, just no.

Kapanen is every bit the player that Garland is. So they wanna do a swap, then maybe ok.

But if the Pens are trading Marino they better be getting something way better than Garland.

You spelled Pettersson wrong.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

I'll open by saying as a non Pens fan, I probably wouldn't trade Marino for Garland. Because of scarcity of the position, the lack of in-house replacement, Letang's uncertain contract status, etc etc

But the bolded is a little deceiving and unfair. Garland has more or less broke into the league during this bloody pandemic, and has yet to really have a chance to prove what he can do over a full season. It should not be held against him. He's paced for some promising numbers, particularly last year on a middling Arizona team

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'll open by saying as a non Pens fan, I probably wouldn't trade Marino for Garland. Because of scarcity of the position, the lack of in-house replacement, Letang's uncertain contract status, etc etc

But the bolded is a little deceiving and unfair. Garland has more or less broke into the league during this bloody pandemic, and has yet to really have a chance to prove what he can do over a full season. It should not be held against him. He's paced for some promising numbers, particularly last year on a middling Arizona team

I almost responded to the post, but anyone cherry-picking stats over the last two seasons is not having an honest discussion. It is 100% deceiving and unfair. It’s probably worse. Dude removed all context (two short seasons lol). One of those 39 point seasons happened in 49 games. The other was 68 games.

Suddenly, the entire post falls apart.

Skead

Aug 27, 2010
Vancouver

Tell me you haven't seen Garland play, without telling me you've seen him play.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I like his style of play and tenacity, as I believe the type of pace and work-rate he has is contagious and conducive to a winning program but I've heard he's bit of a locker-room diva/me-first guy through the grapevine and compounded with the fact he's on the smaller side, I'd have no interest if I were the Pens, just too much baggage there

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I like his style of play and tenacity, as I believe the type of pace and work-rate he has is contagious and conducive to a winning program but I've heard he's bit of a locker-room diva/me-first guy through the grapevine and compounded with the fact he's on the smaller side, I'd have no interest if I were the Pens, just too much baggage there
Bruce has called Garland a guy that keeps things upbeat and positive in the lockerroom. He's a huge character guy so your grapevine is Bullsh*t :laugh:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Garland for Marino makes sense if the Pens are planning on re-signing Rust; Boeser for Marino makes sense if they aren't.

As many have noted, the Pens would need to get a good defenseman to replace Marino in either deal, which would likely be tricky as the Pens have few prospects to trade. They would need to move a roster player, and I'm not sure they have anyone expendable who would get a good middle pairing Dman in return.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Your absolutely clueless, you ignore context, team, like why even bother posting this crap, Garland and Kap and very different players, even comparing them shows how little you know, maybe actually, I don't know, watch the player?

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

What grapevine is this? Sounds like your spreading false crap to me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Do you need glasses?

Garland can be a terrific player while not being worth Marino, you know.

I would absolutely never trade Marino for Garland. They may be equivalent players at each of their positions, but RD have substantially more value than RW do.

Marino for Boeser with a reasonable extension makes sense. Marino for Garland doesn't make sense. The Penguins can get better than a 20 goal, 50 point 2nd liner if they're dangling an asset on par with Marino.

Reactions: BillPrep

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Garland can be a terrific player while not being worth Marino, you know.

I would absolutely never trade Marino for Garland. They may be equivalent players at each of their positions, but RD have substantially more value than RW do.

Marino for Boeser with a reasonable extension makes sense. Marino for Garland doesn't make sense. The Penguins can get better than a 20 goal, 50 point 2nd liner if they're dangling an asset on par with Marino.

If Boeser has a reasonable extension your adding to Marino.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

No they wouldn't be.

RD have substantially more value than RW. Boeser only pulls off a Marino caliber asset if there has been at least productive contract talks on a Boeser extension to begin with. You're not getting a Marino caliber asset for Boeser with the cloud looming over his next contract.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Boeser had a reasonable extension, he wouldn't be getting traded. The presumption is he would be traded without one and the Canucks transfer the risk to the other team.

I assume that the Canucks are at the point of telling him "Hey Brock, no one is paying you your QO. The <insert team> is going to offer you $6x6 (or similar - not important, just an example). If you're willing to take that there, would you be interested in taking that here and staying?"

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
You couldn't even sniff a 1st pair RD who can score for Boeser.

Hell, you couldn't even get that for Boeser if he was having a normal season, let alone Boeser having a down year this year.

When did I say I could? You said RHD have substantially more value than a (signed to a reasonable extension) Boeser, my point was to counter that point, never said Boeser could get that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad