News Article: Penguins Sale Possible This Week

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fordy

May 28, 2008
It isn't just the Sox as a team. It is them making NESN horrible and treating the Bruins like crap, it is Linda Henry shredding apart the Boston Globe and making it so you can't criticize her husband. It is them not being anywhere near the team unless it is a good photo op for them.

I feel bad for Pittsburgh because you all are just another page in their portfolio.
i feel good because we're just another page in their portfolio. maybe you should relax with your "concern"

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It isn't just the Sox as a team. It is them making NESN horrible and treating the Bruins like crap, it is Linda Henry shredding apart the Boston Globe and making it so you can't criticize her husband. It is them not being anywhere near the team unless it is a good photo op for them.

I feel bad for Pittsburgh because you all are just another page in their portfolio.
You watch local sports networks besides to watch games?
You read newspapers for your sports coverage?
You could show me a picture of 2 old white dudes and tell me one of them is Ron Burkle and I'd have no better than a 50-50 chance of guessing which one he was.

Sorry, but these aren't problems most people will care about. The only thing that really matters is whether they will spend money on the team when it's needed. From an outsiders perspective, they've done that with the Sox so I'll give them the benefit of doubt until they don't with the Pens.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, I wonder what this means for a potential new contract for Geno and Letang. Maybe nothing, but we'll see.

Posted elsewhere: I think a lot of us are thinking that Hextall has numbers in mind for Geno and Letang and that, to some degree, there might be some Mario influence flexibility for Geno and, perhaps to a lesser extent, Letang.

Initial reaction was there might be less flexibility there, but if Mario retains an interest and senior management remains in place, I doubt the sale moves the needle as contracts for Geno and Letang go.

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We knew they were for sale since 2015. I distinctly remember that being in the news then and it made sense as the Penguins were still a high revenue, high-value team.

Yes, they are going into a rebuild but all sports are cyclical. The Penguins are a good brand to have. Small market, perhaps, but Pittsburgh is a sports city. This isn't the Arizona Coyotes. Penguins are a major brand to buy.

I bet they are still looking to spend the money to make the team competitive. Owners with deep pockets, especially relative to what the NHL cap is, is nice. What that means is you are likely to be able to retain that emerging star forward, not dump him because you don't want to pay him.

Great that the FO will stay in tact, but why would it not? This is still a very well-run organization with a competent front office. I'd have concerns they had plans to clean house because it's completely unnecessary. And Lemieux staying in a bit, even better. I bet that was a big sell.

Can't relocate for 7 years but honestly, at this point, I don't know where you would relocate them to? Coyotes to KC would make much more sense at the very least.

So I mean...hey whatever. It's out of our hands. Whatever happens, happens. I thank Mario and Burkle for everything. Loved seeing them at the YC and getting a look at that SC ring in 2016. What a thrill that was.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I believe their lease is up at the arena after the 2029-30 season.

New arena will be considered antiquated by then; new ownership can threaten to move the team to Hamilton, Kansas City, or Whitehorse unless they get a new arena on the top of Mt. Washington.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
To be fair this news affects myself as a season ticket holder more than most here. I am excited for the new era. Let's give them a chance. We could have done a lot worse. They know how to win.
Some of the guys in section 203 are passing a hat around to fund a “welcome to Pittsburgh” banner for the Fenway Group. Maybe 204 would like to chip in? Let me know!

Reactions: Gurglesons

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Re: Geno and Letang

These are owners with deep-ish pockets. They are buying the team for money reasons. I imagine the sale price is tolerable and the future revenues make sense. They don't want to tank their brand name with the current and future fan base. One way to do that is not to bring back franchise generational talent Malkin and your franchise #1D who have been lifelong Penguins.

Those two are coming back. I would eat my shoe if they didn't.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
For years I've been skeptical that serious change will happen with the Penguins. This bit of news seems like the first in a long time indicating that real change might be coming. Not since the end of the Bylsma/Shero era have I felt this sure about that.

Whether that will be a good thing remains to be seen.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Like, this organization doesn't deal with any shit. Sully is gone, Crosby could easily be traded in the future. Loyalty doesn't really matter, only winning does.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Re: Geno and Letang

These are owners with deep-ish pockets. They are buying the team for money reasons. I imagine the sale price is tolerable and the future revenues make sense. They don't want to tank their brand name with the current and future fan base. One way to do that is not to bring back franchise generational talent Malkin and your franchise #1D who have been lifelong Penguins.

Those two are coming back. I would eat my shoe if they didn't.

I still could see it going either way, they may look at it as wanting to start a new/fresh era under their direction.

It does make more sense now why we haven’t heard any discussions between both sides. Knowing a deal was so close, I doubt they would want to call them and say “oh, by the way we just saddled you with another 5 years of broken Geno at 8 per.”

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I still could see it going either way, they may look at it as wanting to start a new/fresh era under their direction.

It does make more sense now why we haven’t heard any discussions between both sides. Knowing a deal was so close, I doubt they would want to call them and say “oh, by the way we just saddled you with another 5 years of broken Geno at 8 per.”

That's like cutting off the fingertip over a hangnail saying you want to "start fresh with a nub". I mean, it's not impossible but I'm just trying to think what I would do if I'm the new owner...I try to keep butts in seats for a fan base that has a very morbid obsession with players. It's going to be what, 3yrs? 5 max? I wouldn't pay out the nose for them but I'm doing everything reasonable to keep them. Now if Geno just comes up and says "I'm going to the Caps" then fine. But at least you can turn that into a player decision and remove debate on whether or not the new owners had anything to do with it.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Honestly seems like the type of ownership this team needs. Analytically minded and budget smart.

I hope you are right, I'm just concerned that they will be run like the Pirates.

Did I not call this out yesterday? Mario answered my question in quick fashion :laugh:

So we could see a move in 7 years?

If this team moves and if they change the name (especially to something dumb) or they don't move to Hartford and become the Whalers then I'll look for a new team.

Given the ownership group we have now we are most likely to go to Hartford. Better get on eBay and start collecting that sic Whaler gear:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad