News Article: Penguins Sale Possible This Week

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fordy

May 28, 2008
You'd be better off. At least Mario cares.
"Key part, per source: Mario Lemieux WILL remain part of the ownership group in some capacity, likely a minority ownership role, and will be continue to be involved on hockey side."

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I think an internal cap of $150-$200 million is different than a hard league-wide cap the NHL has. If they’re willing to spend $175 million, why wouldn’t they spend to the cap here? (excluding outside factors like low attendance, etc., that could affect revenue)
For your sake I hope they spend to the cap.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
"Key part, per source: Mario Lemieux WILL remain part of the ownership group in some capacity, likely a minority ownership role, and will be continue to be involved on hockey side."
Until he pisses off Mrs. Henry and she has him removed

GregR

Mar 4, 2002
FSG has turned the Red Sox from a team that couldn't win jack squat when it counted (believe me I root for them) to a four-time WS champion in the last 17 years. Yes, they've gotten more "frugal" than they were in the past, but they were still in the ALCS this year and like to win.

I believe this to be good news and will have to see otherwise not to believe it, and given some of the past Penguins owners, at least we don't have to worry about bankruptcy.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The issue I have is that they just don't care anymore. They've won championships (which are great) but they refuse to spend money and we keep losing great players and only getting middle of the road guys because of their bullshit internal cap.
I'm not happy about this move, per se, but I think you Red Sox fans have a very warped sense of reality. They had the 5th highest payroll last year at $189M. That's over $100M than they are even allowed to spend on the Penguins.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
FSG has turned the Red Sox from a team that couldn't win jack squat when it counted (believe me I root for them) to a four-time WS champion in the last 17 years. Yes, they've gotten more "frugal" than they were in the past, but they were still in the ALCS this year and like to win.

I believe this to be good news and will have to see otherwise not to believe it, and given some of the past Penguins owners, at least we don't have to worry about bankruptcy.

Agreed.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm not happy about this move, per se, but I think you Red Sox fans have a very warped sense of reality. They had the 5th highest payroll last year at $189M. That's over $100M than they are even allowed to spend on the Penguins.
It isn't just the Sox as a team. It is them making NESN horrible and treating the Bruins like crap, it is Linda Henry shredding apart the Boston Globe and making it so you can't criticize her husband. It is them not being anywhere near the team unless it is a good photo op for them.

I feel bad for Pittsburgh because you all are just another page in their portfolio.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
It isn't just the Sox as a team. It is them making NESN horrible and treating the Bruins like crap, it is Linda Henry shredding apart the Boston Globe and making it so you can't criticize her husband. It is them not being anywhere near the team unless it is a good photo op for them.

I feel bad for Pittsburgh because you all are just another page in their portfolio.
NESN-B (Boston)
NESN-P (Pittsburgh)

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I wonder what this means for the inevitable retool ... likely no "big" changes until it closes in order to keep up appearances. So much for any real asset management this season.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Oh man, as a Sox fan who has seen a Henry run organization, good luck...

Get ready for penny pinching and being subjugated to a 2nd thought when he gets his next shiny new toy.

Fair warning, his wife is the worst. She's the ultimate self important gold digger who sticks her nose in everything

She sounds pretty

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Man, what the hell? Was this even being rumored? Nevermind the involvement of Henry's group, I just mean the sale as a whole. Totally blindsided by this.

Good for Mario. Its hard to believe all those years ago, playing for no salary, has netted him far more in terms of franchise ownership value than he would've ever gotten in paychecks. At the time it was pretty selfless considering nobody knew the future, but now he gets to be the stinking rich savior.

Mario finally being able to cash out is great news for him. He deserves it.

For us as fans? Judging by the comments here and what I have heard from LFC fans for many years, I am not excited at all.

Ehhh, as a hater of Liverpool I wish I could agree with that assessment, but I have to give FSG credit for what they've done with that club.

When they took over 11 years ago, Liverpool were coming off the back of a small successful period that was "close but no cigar" as they didnt win as much as expected . They went through two bad/mediocre managers who were not right, rebuilt/retooled the team between 2011-14, and again in 2016-17, and are now in the conversation for the title every year. In fact, without Man City being a endlessly wealthy, winning machine, Liverpool probably have multiple league titles with their UCL title by now. They've spent big on certain players to fill out their team, but they've also bought some very cheap young players that have blossomed, or spotted undervalued talents that have grown into stars. All with a manager they were lucky to get at the time, but who grew into a title winner over a few patient years. Frankly, cant stand Liverpool, but i wish my team had the kind of cunning they've shown. On the flipside they have had some heartbreaking (for them :laugh:) capitulations in that time. Like, stumble at the final hurdle in a cosmically inexplicable sort of way, losses.

Similarly the Red Sox. I dont know nearly as much about baseball, but I know that after the team of 2004-7 fell apart, they bounced back a few years later, moved on from some bad FA signings, and got the 2013 and 2018 WS titles with, essentially, totally different, retooled rosters. In 2018 especially, they spent pretty big on pitching, but the core of their offense was guys from their farm system. Point is, when things fell apart, they didnt hesitate or rely on sentiment, they got the sledgehammer and started the painful steps of building toward another championship.

Again, the same models dont work exactly, but they've been pretty adept with both teams. The Super League fiasco in April with Liverpool was a disaster, but that was a "read the room, know your fans" misstep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

They can’t be any worse than Baldwin was, so I’ll go on with my life and forget about it soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad