Paul Maurice: Class act and a legendary coach

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Got to meet Maurice a bunch as a kid back around the turn of the century when he first coached Carolina and we were shit and didn’t have a dedicated fan base yet so you could afford to get some real face time at team events and what not. He was also very active in the community so we saw him around town a bunch. Still remember how incredible nice he was and how much time of day he afforded me as a 6/7 year old kid. Dude is as real as it gets and deserves this so much

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Which part of my statement was wrong ? Did his team not fail to put the oilers 3 times? What series were you watching ?

Buddy!!!!!

Why are you looking for an argument over something so stupid???

Imagine not winning the Stanley Cup you just won.
You almost did not win a championship you just won.
If you didn’t win you would have lost.

Imagine if the wrong sperm did not go in the egg , you wouldn’t be here.

Imagine if your parents used birth control.
…..

Who cares man.

Stop looking for an argument and just go outside

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Buddy!!!!!

Why are you looking for an argument over something so stupid???

Imagine not winning the Stanley Cup you just won.
You almost did not win a championship you just won.
If you didn’t win you would have lost.

Imagine if the wrong sperm did not go in the egg , you wouldn’t be here.

Imagine if your parents used birth control.
…..

Who cares man.

Stop looking for an argument and just go outside
At what point did I force either of you to respond, pal?

Reactions: Doubty

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
i remember him coaching the whalers as a 28-29 year old back in the day. cool to see him finally lift the cup all these years later
Awesome. I kept my Whalers puck from childhood backyard hockey as a good luck symbol the entire time he was coach of the Jets. Maurice paid his dues to get that moment of glory.

dwdl21

Jan 4, 2012
Canada
disagree, when i look back to series from years past, all that matters is who won. years later, i might remember the oilers perseverance fondly but won't remember anything about fla other than the fact that they won.

i can't say "regardless of the outcome" because the outcome is all that matters and was the desired one
And Bob should have won the the Conn Smythe...lol

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Effing Eeyore over here

e90b3f62593ca6305ccb9b26490f824e821c08ae.gif

eeyore-eating-in-his-gloomy-place-r6rxno5vaf8iy32t.gif
hey, on behalf of eeyores everywhere, even we though that comment was offside.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Happy for Maurice. He’s had the ‘mediocre coach’ label follow him much of his career. He also gives some great pressers; colorful, to say the least.

catnip

Jan 5, 2015
I'm sure it's just a bizarre self-soothing mechanism but I still don't get why "almost" being reverse-swept is supposed to be some great putdown. Both teams lost three in a row. It's not that difficult to do, nor even that unlikely when you have two equal(ish) teams. Neither team lost three in a row on purpose. Then one team won a fourth game like they were supposed to. And this is bad? Because reasons.

Anyway, I almost never watch press conferences or player/coach interviews because I can't stand inane sports babble and endless platitudes but I kind of love sarcastic Paul Maurice.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
feel like legendary is being thrown around little too lightly here. hes a great coach but I dunno about legendary
First coach to bring the Cup to Florida. Other Cups may come for the Cats but he'll be the Coach that helm the team bringing it to Sunrise for the first time. Just for that he's legendary.

Whoever said Bowman is being foolish. Paul can only be what he is, the best Paul Maurice out there and for the Cats that means EVERYTHING and unlike Bowman, that time is NOW.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He's the most unfairly maligned coach in hockey since I've followed the game. People can say what they will about his W-L record, but how often has he had a team that has business being any more than a first round flameout in the playoffs? He made it to a Cup Final and another ECF with two pretty marginal Carolina teams, and made the WCF with a Jets team that was nothing special.

This Florida crew is by far the best team he's had in his NHL tenure nearly 30 seasons later, glad to see the guy finally get rewarded.

I'm with you for most of this post, but that jets team was pretty darn good. Hellebyuck kinda flamed out, but a caps jets final would have been a good tilt.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
First coach to bring the Cup to Florida. Other Cups may come for the Cats but he'll be the Coach that helm the team bringing it to Sunrise for the first time. Just for that he's legendary.

Whoever said Bowman is being foolish. Paul can only be what he is, the best Paul Maurice out there and for the Cats that means EVERYTHING and unlike Bowman, that time is NOW.
I just would kinda expect there to be more overall cup wins to gain legendary status as a coach I mean. so I guess the coach to win a teams first cup is Legendary too? kinda crazy to think that two coach reached legendary status in the past 2 seasons, Vegas also just won their first cup

and no its not foolish. Bowman is actually a Legend. he did things that only legends do. Paul Maurice is a great coach but too early to say Legendary and he may never reach that title.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Great coach and unbelievable hire for Zito. Zito was bugging him on his fishing trip after he fired Brunette until Paul finally picked up the phone from a number he didn't know. When the rest of the hockey world had given up on Maurice. He was the perfect coach for this mix of players and for where they were at after 2022. Zito just presses all the right buttons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad