Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Cap is expected to jump mid-90´s 2025. 9m caphit now is a different thing than 9m caphit at the tail end of an 6-8 year contract signed now.
Its something to consider but you also have to plan for worst case scenario. I keep going back to it but Toronto banked on a rising cap when signing Matthews and Marner and had to severly limit the depth because of covid.
Obviously I doubt that repeats itself but Jarmo cant go spending money like a crazy person based on assumptions. He needs to see that player now or really believe he will at the very least be that player soon

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Its something to consider but you also have to plan for worst case scenario. I keep going back to it but Toronto banked on a rising cap when signing Matthews and Marner and had to severly limit the depth because of covid.
Obviously I doubt that repeats itself but Jarmo cant go spending money like a crazy person based on assumptions. He needs to see that player now or really believe he will at the very least be that player soon
TML is not even crippled by 1 Matthews contract of 11.6M. They are crippled by having 3 forwards with ~11M contracts.

There is no balance of contracts by TML. In comparison the CBJ are in a completely different scenario. Even having Laine with let's say 9.6M that would still leave vast amounts of cap space to be used with depth guys. Problem in CBJ is not the lack of depth, but the opposite when Laine is the only star on offensive side of things. Voracek is good, Bjork & Jenner do fine job as well.

At the time KJ, Sillinger and 1-2 other prospects are tearing it up, Voracek is most likely gone and Laine would be tremendous help for the team. If Jarmo loses Laine for some 0.5-1M salary dispute, that's quite sad.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

If you open and read the article, none of this sounds like a GM who is eager to get a deal done. He sounds very much like “well we will keep him if he signs at our number and only our number. And if he doesn’t, we’ll trade him.”

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

If you open and read the article, none of this sounds like a GM who is eager to get a deal done. He sounds very much like “well we will keep him if he signs at our number and only our number. And if he doesn’t, we’ll trade him.”

This is Jarmo's communication. One of the toughest GMs. Besides, don't forget that he would trade anyone.

EDIT: Don't forget that during the negotiations Jarmo can't praise him too much, because the agents would immediately take advantage of it.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Pretty weird to be concerned now.
The season just ended, draft is a week from now, UFA market hasn’t even started, no other top rfa has signed yet.

Anyone who knows Jarmo knows he’s going to take his time

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Pretty weird to be concerned now.
The season just ended, draft is a week from now, UFA market hasn’t even started, no other top rfa has signed yet.

Anyone who knows Jarmo knows he’s going to take his time
His track record for signing these top RFA’s and ruining the relationship throughout the negotiation is definitely a cause for concern. Especially when Laine is in the same situation (with more leverage) that Anderson was in when he got traded.

Reactions: Toe Pick

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
His track record for signing these top RFA’s and ruining the relationship throughout the negotiation is definitely a cause for concern. Especially when Laine is in the same situation (with more leverage) that Anderson was in when he got traded.

Yeah the past with rfa’s can be seen as a concern but maybe I’m stupid but I don’t see Jarmo treating Laine badly.

I believe him when he said he was looking at getting him in 2016 already.

Jarmo should also know if you want to change culture(how others see you) you need to get these top guys locked instead of bleeding continuesly and build a winning team.

Florida was a laughing stock 18 months ago, now it’s an extremely wanted place to go.
Carolina had trouble before their 1st playoff run with this core, now it’s seen as one of the better places to be.

Winning cures a lot of things

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo's battles with RFA's are the 1st deal as he pushes bridge deals. I feel like we forget Jarmo reportedly offered Anderson 7x5 but Anderson rejected before getting his 7x5.5 with Montreal
Yeah he hard lined with jarmo after jarmo hard lined with them after the rookie deal.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Jarmo's battles with RFA's are the 1st deal as he pushes bridge deals. I feel like we forget Jarmo reportedly offered Anderson 7x5 but Anderson rejected before getting his 7x5.5 with Montreal
If I'm not mistaken, Josh wanted M-NTC, Jarmo refused.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
My hope was he would be signed before the draft but I still feel like this is "nothing to see here" at this point. If he files for arbitration... then I would be a little more concerned. At this point we haven't even sent the qualifying offer yet (not that we have to). I have about 1% concern over this situation at this point. Big deal for both sides. Have to get it right.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'll be concerned if it's two weeks after the Gaudreau and Forsberg and Boeser deals are finalized and we're still hearing things like this. As it is, we get this sort of "which agent blinks first and sets the market" silliness all the time.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
My hope was he would be signed before the draft but I still feel like this is "nothing to see here" at this point. If he files for arbitration... then I would be a little more concerned. At this point we haven't even sent the qualifying offer yet (not that we have to). I have about 1% concern over this situation at this point. Big deal for both sides. Have to get it right.
if i have my info right he couldnt even extend a QO until today. Could definitely be wrong about that though.

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
It just seems like the front office should really want to make Laine happy since he actually wants to stay in Columbus. He's also a fan favorite. Give him what he wants as far as money (but not above 10 per) and figure the rest out later.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
It just seems like the front office should really want to make Laine happy since he actually wants to stay in Columbus. He's also a fan favorite. Give him what he wants as far as money (but not above 10 per) and figure the rest out later.
What if he wants more than 10 per?

And wanting to stay in Columbus is reason enough to give him (almost) whatever he wants?

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What if he wants more than 10 per?

And wanting to stay in Columbus is reason enough to give him (almost) whatever he wants?
Let's look at it realistically. On a good team he won't get more than, at best (and even that I'm optimistic), $9.5M. On a top team, more than $8,5M. On the other hand, the question is what Jarmo's idea of a fair salary is. And what is Patrik's idea. Especially if he sees Werenski's salary. Another problem could be the clauses.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Let's look at it realistically. On a good team he won't get more than, at best (and even that I'm optimistic), $9.5M. On a top team, more than $8,5M. On the other hand, the question is what Jarmo's idea of a fair salary is. And what is Patrik's idea. Especially if he sees Werenski's salary. Another problem could be the clauses.
And if I'm Laine and consider your guidelines, then I would say Columbus is not really a good team (yet) and I put up PPG numbers with two significant disruptions to the season and a revolving door at center. Imagine what I can do on a good team. My numbers would be expected to be higher, therefore, I think I should be paid more in line with what I will be when Columbus IS a good team. He's not getting $8.5 on a good team. He's still getting above $9AAV.

I'll be happy when this is settled but you can see why this isn't as straight forward. He may love Columbus, the city, the team but he is also a bit of a diva and will want fair money. Jarmo clearly has to look at the roster in 3, 4, 5 years and think who else gets paid (not to mention who does he add this off season that will impact the structure).

I still think they settle on a 5-6 year deal in the $9.2AAV range with it front loaded or bonus heavy. Just not going to get there quickly. And that's OK.

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
And if I'm Laine and consider your guidelines, then I would say Columbus is not really a good team (yet) and I put up PPG numbers with two significant disruptions to the season and a revolving door at center. Imagine what I can do on a good team. My numbers would be expected to be higher, therefore, I think I should be paid more in line with what I will be when Columbus IS a good team. He's not getting $8.5 on a good team. He's still getting above $9AAV.

I'll be happy when this is settled but you can see why this isn't as straight forward. He may love Columbus, the city, the team but he is also a bit of a diva and will want fair money. Jarmo clearly has to look at the roster in 3, 4, 5 years and think who else gets paid (not to mention who does he add this off season that will impact the structure).

I still think they settle on a 5-6 year deal in the $9.2AAV range with it front loaded or bonus heavy. Just not going to get there quickly. And that's OK.
I think about $9.0M. Again, the biggest problem is Werenski's contract. Zach is a very good d-man and I know we must overpay players sometimes but even in this case it's too much.
Next, Voracek and Nyquist won't probably play here, it's $13.75M + $19.516.776 = $27.016.667 free. Of course we must resign Boqvist now. But we have still enough cap.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think about $9.0M. Again, the biggest problem is Werenski's contract. Zach is a very good d-man and I know we must overpay players sometimes but even in this case it's too much.
Next, Voracek and Nyquist won't probably play here, it's $13.75M + $19.516.776 = $27.016.667 free. Of course Boqvist is still here also Johnson, Sillinger plus Chinakhov and Marchenko. But if they'll play good someone from TOP 6 can be traded.
There is nothing wrong with the Werenski contract, in context. He is more important than Laine to the team’s success.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Cale Makar $9.0M
Adam Fox $9.5M

How can Jarmo want from players to lower their demands if Werenski didn't do it?

Werenski’s second contract was 3 years for $15 million. He is now on his third contract. Makar and Fox signed huge second contracts.

A better comparison is to combine Werenski’s two contracts which total $72.5 million for 9 years - averaging out to just over $8 million per season, lower than Makar and Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad