Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You mean one lazy-ass ex-nhler?

At this point in Laine's career it is perhaps old news, but a lot of players thought of him as a lazy kid. When you play video games all night and show up out of shape, you earn a bad reputation. When you play like he did in 2020-21, you earn a bad reputation. I would assume that this is a widespread opinion, however inaccurate it may be.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
At this point in Laine's career it is perhaps old news, but a lot of players thought of him as a lazy kid. When you play video games all night and show up out of shape, you earn a bad reputation. When you play like he did in 2020-21, you earn a bad reputation. I would assume that this is a widespread opinion, however inaccurate it may be.

Maybe I have missed those lots. I know what Mike Del Zotto said. I don't know about "a lot". Though I have heard about the opposite as well.

Also he did not show up out of shape. But on 17-18 they did a mistake by bulking him up like a tank to get more mass and it took almost half a season for him to get going. Wrong training program does not equal lazy, however. That mistake was not repeated later.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Where did the out of shape thing come from? Actually haven't heard that one before, and I've followed him pretty closely since draft. Or is it also just from the same old stupid videogame drama, which somehow manages to get more and more exaggerated every time Laine is a topic of discussion.

I remember how the original videogame drama was when the old gentlemen of Winnipeg radio and their callers didn't like how Laine and Ehlers took a playstation with them to roadtrips. And then when they found out he played an average of 3h of Fortnite a day during winter months in Winnipeg, the whole thing just exploded. Like what else are you supposed to do when it's -50C outside, and your family is in Finland.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Where did the out of shape thing come from? Actually haven't heard that one before, and I've followed him pretty closely since draft. Or is it also just from the same old stupid videogame drama, which has somehow manages to get more and more exaggerated every time Laine is a topic of discussion.

I remember how the original videogame drama was when the old gentlemen of Winnipeg radio and their callers didn't like how Laine and Ehlers took a playstation with them to roadtrips. And then when they found out he played an average of 3h of Fortnite a day during winter months in Winnipeg, the whole thing just exploded. Like what else are you supposed to do when it's -50C outside, and your family is in Finland.

The number of times I've heard Laine's conditioning called into question I'd put at north of 200 times. Whether that had basis in truth, I don't know, it's hard to disentangle that from Laine's natural limits as an athlete.

As for the Fortnite kerfuffle, it wasn't that he was averaging 3 hours a day, it was that he was playing all night and not sleeping, which people could tell because he made his username public. I personally didn't watch him play so maybe that got made up somewhere, but if it was true then yes it would be a serious problem for an athlete.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Sounds like the most interesting thing a person could do in Winnipeg in the dead of winter.

I understand the issue and how public perception works though

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
The number of times I've heard Laine's conditioning called into question I'd put at north of 200 times. Whether that had basis in truth, I don't know, it's hard to disentangle that from Laine's natural limits as an athlete.

As for the Fortnite kerfuffle, it wasn't that he was averaging 3 hours a day, it was that he was playing all night and not sleeping, which people could tell because he made his username public. I personally didn't watch him play so maybe that got made up somewhere, but if it was true then yes it would be a serious problem for an athlete.
He has a tendency to be a bit lazy on ice, and isn't a great skater, so it's probably easy to mix that up with bad conditioning.

From what I've seen he has previously worked in the same training group as Rantanen and lately has spent his summers training with Barkov. Hard for me to belive he could manage to slack off enough to lose conditioning training with those guys.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Some “lazy” comments from Atkinson. I know there were more and I’m pretty sure I remember unfavorable comments from Jones also.

Issues with both Torts and Larsen.

Very interested in what Larsen and Laine said to each other. The report in multiple other articles is that Laine made “disrespectful” comments to Larsen.

Seems that Laine handles the ‘lazy Laine‘ comments from his coaches the same way his blind defenders react around here.

Unfortunately that does nothing to fix the actual PROBLEM.

• Haha
Reactions: Ippenator

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Doesn’t bode well for his teammates if they think their best forward is lazy. Imagine how bad the rest of them will look if he starts trying! ;)

Not exactly sure what that 2nd sentence really means, yet I know this is all said sarcastically.

BUT, having your highest paid forward looked at the way Laine IS looked at, IS a legitimate concern.

I’d also really like to bring up how the team is built also.

Is it a situation similar to Nash, that (2) $4.5-5.5 million a year players make the CBJ better than Laine does??

Is Laine’s (and the team he’s apart of) ability to actually succeed (WIN not score goals) based upon him playing behind a deep team team loaded up both roster and cap wise?? Something the CBJ are almost never considered.

How many offensive players does a team need to actually be effective?? You don’t build a team FULL of young offensive minded players, and have them “led” by a 1 dimensional player just because he is superior, and yes very good, offensively.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Not exactly sure what that 2nd sentence really means, yet I know this is all said sarcastically.

BUT, having your highest paid forward looked at the way Laine IS looked at, IS a legitimate concern.

I’d also really like to bring up how the team is built also.

Is it a situation similar to Nash, that (2) $4.5-5.5 million a year players make the CBJ better than Laine does??

Is Laine’s (and the team he’s apart of) ability to actually succeed (WIN not score goals) based upon him playing behind a deep team team loaded up both roster and cap wise?? Something the CBJ are almost never considered.

How many offensive players does a team need to actually be effective?? You don’t build a team FULL of young offensive minded players, and have them “led” by a 1 dimensional player just because he is superior, and yes very good, offensively.
HaHa, Again with the old “one dimensional “. It’s okay to be a blind hater too.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

His conditioning was discussed a lot in the past, but never with the tone "he doesn't practise hard enough", but that many guys did not like the fact he was training (very hard) with coaches with track & field background (Rautala brothers) and did not have skating on his summer training until the very last weeks.

For some like Rasmus Ristolainen that exactly same training program did fit well, but lots of fans were happy when Laine parted with Rautala group and joined the group led by Barkov and also addressed some of his recurring back problems with a special "Functional Range Conditioning" training (attached pic), which is used also by some NHL teams such as NYR etc. He trained hard with Rautala group, that is a fact. But maybe he trains smarter now.

Don't know if you can't even do that with an NHL season of 82 games, but Laine's FEL team Tappara has a long tradition to kind of "over train" guys in the summer so they aren't ready to skate well when the season start, but will do be better than others in the long run. Also during winter and early spring if they are already good enough spot for the playoffs, they will do another overly hard training, and often they have slight difficulties even on the first round of playoffs, but gets better and better towards the finals. With 18 championships and 13 silvers the "train overly hard" has payed well for Tappara. But as 17-18 did show, it was maybe not the best fit for Laine & NHL, although he did have then a great second half of the season.

Attachments

• frc-harjoittelu-patrik-laine.png
    frc-harjoittelu-patrik-laine.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 16

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

I guess you had a deep sleep over the last season. There were zero CBJ players better than Laine last season, in winning. You are still referring to 20-21 season, I am afraid.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Some “lazy” comments from Atkinson. I know there were more and I’m pretty sure I remember unfavorable comments from Jones also.

Issues with both Torts and Larsen.

Very interested in what Larsen and Laine said to each other. The report in multiple other articles is that Laine made “disrespectful” comments to Larsen.

Seems that Laine handles the ‘lazy Laine‘ comments from his coaches the same way his blind defenders react around here.

Unfortunately that does nothing to fix the actual PROBLEM.

Maybe next time *read* the comments by Atkinson before claiming that kind of stuff:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220706_072212.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706_072212.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220706_072245.jpg
    Screenshot_20220706_072245.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 16

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That out of shape is a tough one.

He’s trained(under record) extremely hard in the offseasons for years but I had big issues with their training method. ( I could really go off on this topic)
It was pretty much all off ice training with zero time on ice.
So actually he was in great shape but in garbage skating shape.
So it took him months to get into skating shape, it clearly affected his confidence in Winnipeg looking at his game& reading his interviews.

The best thing for me he has done is that he changed his training and trains with Barkov, that guy is a monster at developing himself and his weaknessess and by all reports Laine was in top shape last year but got injured so that went off the rails.

I know lot of the places he trains and with whom he trains.

So overall in short in his time in Winnipeg earned him a reputation of not being in shape when he was in shape but for wrong sport.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
So overall in short in his time in Winnipeg earned him a reputation of not being in shape when he was in shape but for wrong sport.

These Laine excuses really are fantastical.

A life of their own, eh!?!

For some reason I can picture Laine expressing all these same explanations and excuses to Torts behind the scenes and him losing his mind the way I am.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is this just a round about way to say the team defense isnt good enough to prop Korpi up so it sucks?
The team got rid of a bunch of vets and got better, Id say thats positive

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Is this just a round about way to say the team defense isnt good enough to prop Korpi up so it sucks?
The team got rid of a bunch of vets and got better, Id say thats positive
It sounded like the locker room got a lot more happier last year, Even with a less than stellar year. We’ve all heard how a few rooms are a disaster and even with great talent cannot win. From the players to the fans, Last season was pretty fun. If the morale is good and we see some improvement this year, The future looking bright.:cool:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It sounded like the locker room got a lot more happier last year, Even with a less than stellar year. We’ve all heard how a few rooms are a disaster and even with great talent cannot win. From the players to the fans, Last season was pretty fun. If the morale is good and we see some improvement this year, The future looking bright.:cool:
Its funny what morale and confidence can do for a group. Add to the fact players dont look like they are playing scared to make a mistake anymore and its fun for everyone

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
These Laine excuses really are fantastical.

A life of their own, eh!?!

For some reason I can picture Laine expressing all these same explanations and excuses to Torts behind the scenes and him losing his mind the way I am.

You would rather ignore the details and just call it laziness eh? I think that's a bit lazy ;)

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Hopefully Jarmo isn't playing stupid hardball again. I call it stupid hardball because Laine is our best offensive player and I dont think that's changing any time soon. Pay the man.

Laine in the lineup makes this team a hell of a lot more competitive. He wants to be here, scores goals and makes his linemates better, that's rare.

Disclaimer: If Laine is asking 10+ Jarmo should be hesitant although I still think he's worth it. That's a lot of dough. Anything short of 10 million a year, this should already be done.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
That’s the question really isn’t it? Somewhere in 9 or somewhere in 10

Somewhere in 8 is the discount deal. That’s not happening. Somewhere in 11 is silly. So where is that line between 9.1 and 10.9?

Reactions: Halberdier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad