Player Discussion: Patrik Laine IVever: a new hope? (Laine out of PAP, trade request still stands)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Just to be clear, there’s a HUGE difference between lacking “defensive awareness” and lacking intensity and heart.

Guys like Del Zotto, Jack Johnson, and James Wisniewski lack 1 of these attributes, guys like Laine, Roslovic and Boqvist are missing ALL of it.

Hilarious that people give so much weight to (positive/uplifting/reassuring) comments given to local media regarding other current teammates that are literally nothing more than literal public relations, and yet in UNFILTERED situations like this where true feelings come out, so many Laine fans are downplaying what Del Zotto has said, as if nobody else in the organization/on the team felt or feels this way also.

The pro-Laine party says, “His teammates and coaches actually say this” about his play. They literally have to say positive things so he doesn’t pout and play bad.

Even with all the puff pieces, let’s not act as if Del Zotto is the 1st player to make negative comments regarding Laine. I seem to remember both Atkinson and Jones making comments. Ironically, both guys were apart of the teams most successful times and no longer part of the organization that involves Laine, AND NOW SUCKS!!

Not to mention, BOTH Larsen and Torts have had issues with him. Why does all this stuff get ignored or brushed off, and/or people act as if there aren’t MULTIPLE people in the organization (present and past) that have hinted or made comments similar to MDZ??

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I assume Laine is in Fiala's tier as a player, right?

As a hockey player, yes.

There are some that think we should give Laine a blank check for other reasons (because he’s a bigger star, etc...). I think we should keep the focus on their value as players so that we can build a winner. $8m is much closer to Laine's reasonable value than $9m is.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
As a hockey player, yes.

There are some that think we should give Laine a blank check for other reasons (because he’s a bigger star, etc...). I think we should keep the focus on their value as players so that we can build a winner. $8m is much closer to Laine's reasonable value than $9m is.
Yeah but if Laine/his camp were willing to accept a contract in the 8m range I would have to think the contract would be done by now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah but if Laine/his camp were willing to accept a contract in the 8m range I would have to think the contract would be done by now.

So what does that mean for his appropriate contract, that he should get paid more because he wants more?

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
So what does that mean for his appropriate contract, that he should get paid more because he wants more?
No.

It means I think Laine wants 9 million (maybe more) and if that’s the case the Jackets will likely have to spend close to that number to keep him. If they want to, of course.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Just to be clear, there’s a HUGE difference between lacking “defensive awareness” and lacking intensity and heart.

Guys like Del Zotto, Jack Johnson, and James Wisniewski lack 1 of these attributes, guys like Laine, Roslovic and Boqvist are missing ALL of it.

Hilarious that people give so much weight to (positive/uplifting/reassuring) comments given to local media regarding other current teammates that are literally nothing more than literal public relations, and yet in UNFILTERED situations like this where true feelings come out, so many Laine fans are downplaying what Del Zotto has said, as if nobody else in the organization/on the team felt or feels this way also.

The pro-Laine party says, “His teammates and coaches actually say this” about his play. They literally have to say positive things so he doesn’t pout and play bad.

Even with all the puff pieces, let’s not act as if Del Zotto is the 1st player to make negative comments regarding Laine. I seem to remember both Atkinson and Jones making comments. Ironically, both guys were apart of the teams most successful times and no longer part of the organization that involves Laine, AND NOW SUCKS!!

Not to mention, BOTH Larsen and Torts have had issues with him. Why does all this stuff get ignored or brushed off, and/or people act as if there aren’t MULTIPLE people in the organization (present and past) that have hinted or made comments similar to MDZ??

Atkinson and Jones were also part of a team that did worse than this one. Checkmate.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Laine has probably the highest ceiling of any forward in the league who isn't considered in the super star tier of player. He's also been very inconsistent and injury prone, so anyone signing him is taking some level of gamble in how much time, if any, he is going to spend anywhere close to that ceiling during the contract.

Because of how much he is making now and his career history, anyone signing him is going to pay a bit of extra for "pedigree" and more importantly that high ceiling, which makes guys like Fiala quite bad compables. Laine's career has been a bit weird in that he's still to top his teenage production, even though last season was probably his best hockey to date, considering everything. Signing him doesn't really make sense if you believe his best years are already behind him or that he'll never get anywhere close to the player he looked like as a teenager he was going to become.

I understand why a GM would be hesitant to give him a big contract, but I also understand why Laine would like to sign a contract which shows he's believed in. I don't know what that would mean in terms of money, or if that's even what it's about atm.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
No.

It means I think Laine wants 9 million (maybe more) and if that’s the case the Jackets will likely have to spend close to that number to keep him. If they want to, of course.
Arbitration will give Laine about 8 million and UFA so that is also limiting GM's hand.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I assume Laine is in Fiala's tier as a player, right?

Laine has a better CV but currently about the same.
Of course Fiala has Kaprizov factor.

Max 1M more with that term for Laine.
That’s a great contract for La

Reactions: FSL KINGS

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Laine has a better CV but currently about the same.
Of course Fiala has Kaprizov factor.

The amazing thing about Fiala's scoring is that he did it without playing with Kaprizov, or anyone good for most of his years in Minny. His best ever linemate with the Wild was Matt Boldy, who joined partway through the year, and his center was some guy named Frederick Gaudreau.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The amazing thing about Fiala's scoring is that he did it without playing with Kaprizov, or anyone good for most of his years in Minny. His best ever linemate with the Wild was Matt Boldy, who joined partway through the year, and his center was some guy named Frederick Gaudreau.

He’s a player.
Everyones numbers just seemed to jump up once Kaprizov joined them.

If Jarmo can get Laine anywhere near that contract it would be a great work.

& when I talk of Laines value/contract I don’t talk what I’d in real life pay him but try to be realistic what the league would pay him and what he can ask.
In real life value I’d put him at around 7 probably but with his CV, status, leagues history of paying players(comps) & potential I know that’s not realistic.

He’s too inconsistent to be paid like a superstar or true ppg player but has done too much, has still room to grow and star status to get paid like top6 guy

Reactions: VT

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I think we are going to pay around 9m per to keep him. Columbus still doesn't have the history to get big names via free agency so keeping guys who are ours is key right now. We almost have to overpay for a star right now and Laine is the biggest star we have had after Nash and Panarin. Overpaying for anyone is a risk, a risk i think we need to take, the question is, Is Laine the guy we want to overpay?

Reactions: CBJx614

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
My sense is he’s going to get paid not just more than I’d like but more than what I think he might get given market conditions (the distinction @BB88 is making above). I just hope he makes the team better while employed under the terms of the contract.

My trepidation on the subject is,I think, we’ll-documented. But as in all things it comes down to rooting for the CBJ.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I think we are going to pay around 9m per to keep him. Columbus still doesn't have the history to get big names via free agency so keeping guys who are ours is key right now. We almost have to overpay for a star right now and Laine is the biggest star we have had after Nash and Panarin. Overpaying for anyone is a risk, a risk i think we need to take, the question is, Is Laine the guy we want to overpay?

Sounds like a '1 in hand is worth all UFAs in the bush' situation to me. Hopefully they don't have to overpay too much.

Reactions: thebus88

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

That explains to me his second season under Lars and their relationship with each other. 😉 Of course I know what you mean. 🙂
I would add one more thing. After the death of a loved one, it happens more than once that people change.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He’s a player.
Everyones numbers just seemed to jump up once Kaprizov joined them.

If Jarmo can get Laine anywhere near that contract it would be a great work.

& when I talk of Laines value/contract I don’t talk what I’d in real life pay him but try to be realistic what the league would pay him and what he can ask.
In real life value I’d put him at around 7 probably but with his CV, status, leagues history of paying players(comps) & potential I know that’s not realistic.

He’s too inconsistent to be paid like a superstar or true ppg player but has done too much, has still room to grow and star status to get paid like top6 guy

Who is paying Laine $9m if we don't? I'm honestly not sure what his open market value is. There's going to be some teams that don't want him at all and still have him on a no go list despite his strong season. It is a bit worrying if Laine is asking for more than the Jackets value him and also asking for more than any team values him, because then we can't trade him either.

Reactions: thebus88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who is paying Laine $9m if we don't? I'm honestly not sure what his open market value is. There's going to be some teams that don't want him at all and still have him on a no go list despite his strong season. It is a bit worrying if Laine is asking for more than the Jackets value him and also asking for more than any team values him, because then we can't trade him either.

Gm’s spend crazy money every offseason.
Skinner is making 9M, San Jose offered 13M for Tavares if I remember right, JVR is making 7M on a longterm deal.
Gaudreau, Kadri& Klingberg are prime candidates for crazy contracts this summer.

With Laine a team no matter the term will be buying prime years.
So with his age+ potential he’s a much nicer option to spend than around 30y players looking at big payday and term.

I hope Laine settles between 8-9 with term this summer& if he was UFA now he’d have a market.
Teams like Florida& Carolina really struggled with a lack of sniper(Florida wouldn’t pay him)

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

It's really hard to gauge/know his market value, but I would imagine a GM needing a goal scorer/boost in offense could just hope getting mostly the good & healthy Laine and pay through the nose. He still averages over 35 goals / 82 and just removing 20-21 CBJ stats makes the average more like 38/82. Jeff Skinner signed years ago and has an AAV of 9m, which of course is one of the worst contracts in the league but he's also way worse hockey player than Laine. The game has been shifting lately though and goals are not quite as hard to come by as they used to be, so that and contracts like Skinner's might have lessened the willingness of GMs to (over)pay for goals.

One interesting player to watch could be Brock Boeser - he's in the same situation and they have similar P/GP over their careers and while he's not at Laine's level as a goal scorer and didn't have a great year, he's still a solid ~30G guy and at his best a very good offensive player. I'm sure Laine will make more, maybe significantly so, but whatever Boeser will get will at least give something relevant to compare to.

Reactions: VT and Ippenator

SlightlyStoned

Dec 7, 2018
Cap is expected to jump mid-90´s 2025. 9m caphit now is a different thing than 9m caphit at the tail end of an 6-8 year contract signed now.

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Gm’s spend crazy money every offseason.
Skinner is making 9M, San Jose offered 13M for Tavares if I remember right, JVR is making 7M on a longterm deal.
Gaudreau, Kadri& Klingberg are prime candidates for crazy contracts this summer.

With Laine a team no matter the term will be buying prime years.
So with his age+ potential he’s a much nicer option to spend than around 30y players looking at big payday and term.

I hope Laine settles between 8-9 with term this summer& if he was UFA now he’d have a market.
Teams like Florida& Carolina really struggled with a lack of sniper(Florida wouldn’t pay him)
Florida hired Paul Maurice, I doubt that they would have to pay him extra 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad