Confirmed with Link: Pascal Vincent Named Laval Rocket Head Coach

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
Don't know much about him other than his time in Columbus to be honest.

The way I would handle the Laval job would be to give guys who could potentially replace Marty a chance. Not that I'm looking to or saying we should fire Marty, but if a French speaking coach is an absolute must (and history shows that it is) I would rather develop a coach in the minors who could take over the big club one day than hire retreads like Vignault, Bob Harley, or the same lame names we hear over and over when the job comes up.

If that's what they're doing, I'm not sure about this. If not and Vincent's here just for the ride in Laval, then okay.
This woke bs is why the team won't get pass 24 cups.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
What were the negatives about Vincent before being named head coach ?

Pretty much nobody who played under his command in the LHJMQ became a good NHL player. He coached Angelo Esposito and Louis Leblanc and both looked absolutely not ready when they became pro. It doesn't look much better in the AHL. Only notable player he ever coached in junior and AHL who did not disapoint is Kyle Connor for 52 games. We are talking about a 16 years sample size. Vincent resume looks a lot like Sly with the exception that he has junior experience.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Mmmm!!! head scratcher
Not the profile I would've went for but what do I know? I give much more weight to Hugo decision making than mine lol
I do hope the mandate is clear, prepare the youngsters to be NHL ready when called up

Reactions: LaP

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Surprised people seem largely against this. Basu and godin discussed the possibility on their podcast a few weeks ago and I was sold on it. I don't remember all the points, but they made a very strong case for him.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
One thing I have come to realize is that this management team knows what they are doing and if they deem that Pascal Vincent is the right guy, I will trust their judgement.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
For those who haven't been paying attention, the Habs do not rely on the AHL coach for development of young players - the head coach doesn't even run some of the practices.

Laval has become a juggernaut - making the playoffs are also imperative. The obviously wanted someone with experience as a bench boss. Vincent will adapt to the organizational structure and I am sure he understands the process.
Very good point.

Looks to me like Vincent was asked to be Babcock by Columbus management, who clearly thought Babcock was the ideal coach for their team. He failed at being Babcock, which is kinda good news. I'll wait to see how things work out with the Rocket this year before judging him.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He did, somewhat. He’d probably have been an ok coach except his system was too simple and the success he got with it while other teams were learning inflated his ego. He’d have been effective if he weren’t egotistical and bitter.
He was a bully, plain and simple.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
Lets be real, a big part of the negative reaction towards his hiring is a symptom of years of shitty coaches/personnel in the AHL (and not necessarily related to Vincent). For instance, he hasn't even been on the job for 12 hours and he's already being compared to Sly and Therrien.

I say give him a chance, a lot of the "knocks" about this guy happened a long time ago. Everyone is capable of learning and improving at their craft, regardless of what it is.

JackZap

May 7, 2009
We’re all the Primadonnas in Columbus upset that he would sit their ass down if they played like shit ? Is that why they complained ?

Reactions: jrom

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Lets be real, a big part of the negative reaction towards his hiring is a symptom of years of shitty coaches/personnel in the AHL (and not necessarily related to Vincent). For instance, he hasn't even been on the job for 12 hours and he's already being compared to Sly and Therrien.

I say give him a chance, a lot of the "knocks" about this guy happened a long time ago. Everyone is capable of learning and improving at their craft, regardless of what it is.
Stanley Cup winning Sly

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Will give him the benefit of the doubt, think most of us liked the Dom hiring in Montreal at first but he was mandated to win, not develop and was swapped for MSL who’s been mandated to develop. With how much is riding on this wave of prospects in the AHL being part of turning the Habs into a contender I’m sure the same mandate was communicated to him.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Not sure why some are upset. It's not Sylvain Lefebvre. It looks like a reasonable choice.

Vincent simply had an awful team in Columbus. Coaching a bad team teaches a lot of lessons. Even a Scotty Bowman would not have made that team all that much better.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
He was a bully, plain and simple.
There is that. He was able to rein it in when he feared he’d never work again. Whenever he felt secure he threw his weight around and caused problems for everyone.

Houle may not have been perfect but he didn’t do a lot of damage as far as I know. We’ll see about the new guy.

First Line

Summer of Love
Aug 21, 2002
Laval
Are ex-quebecois 1000+ games played, undrafted, stanley-cup winnning, leaders and hall-of-famers so hard to find?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Hmmmm.

Not really sure I like this one......but in terms of experience, they got probably the most experienced one they can get at that level. I don't care that much about AHL coaches as they are easily disposable if things don't go how management wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad