Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
The cap is such that even the best teams are always going to be overpaying someone and having fixes they could use. If a really good team can manage at the deadline to temporarily fill the holes they do have with good fits that can be what puts them over the top. Luck still needs to be involved because an injury or two can still kill a team.....bad hops, lack of discipline, the refs can all factor in greatly as well. Any given year you can figure at least 5/6 teams think they have a great shot to win. 4 series and 16 wins is a lot and it doesn't take much to knock a team off the rails.

We have questions about our team but I'm sure Canes and Bruins fans feel the same way and for Leafs fans just getting past the first round is a big deal and the Lightning have dropped down a little. Next year the Panthers IMO will still be the favored Eastern team. That said their defense took a couple big hits losing Montour and Ekman-Larsson.

While Mountour and OEL are the biggest losses, I wouldn't overlook the 4th line, either. Stenlund brought some stability to that bottom-6 in the playoffs, and was pretty good on the PK and on faceoffs.

Nosek will be a pretty good replacement, but I don't think he'll be as effective on the PK.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
While Mountour and OEL are the biggest losses, I wouldn't overlook the 4th line, either. Stenlund brought some stability to that bottom-6 in the playoffs, and was pretty good on the PK and on faceoffs.

Nosek will be a pretty good replacement, but I don't think he'll be as effective on the PK.

I agree but they have kept all their big guns on the forward lines. Most of what they lost there were depth guys. I really thought Stenlund did a lot for them though.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
So is Drury taking the same approach with Igor as Sather did with Hank? We haven’t heard a peep about his extension since June. Hank started slow then signed his extension after thanksgiving.

Players will start making their way back to NY this week. Most are here after Labor Day.

Does Drury have the nuts for a staring contest with Igor?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I’d put Rempe with Kreider & Mika and see what happens
I'd personally drop Berard on there. Someone with speed who can dig the puck out of a corner and be first on the forecheck. Jesper Fastesque style. I'd rather they split the romance up but if not put someone with some wheels and tenacity there. Seems as though that's what works for those two.

So is Drury taking the same approach with Igor as Sather did with Hank? We haven’t heard a peep about his extension since June. Hank started slow then signed his extension after thanksgiving.

Players will start making their way back to NY this week. Most are here after Labor Day.

Does Drury have the nuts for a staring contest with Igor?

He won't, I think everyone kinds knows his deal 'should" come in just over goalie Bob and make him the highest paid, I think Drury is waiting this out because the ask is likely 12 mill.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Boyle didn't figure it out. Boyle worked with a world class figure skater, just like Pavelski did to improve his horrendous skating. Now we don't know what Rempe is doing so it's not fair to say he'll never improve his skating, but Boyle wouldn't have still been on NYR if he didn't work with the figure skater.
Boyle “figured it out” … with the assistance of ice skating coach Barb Underhill.

Better?

The point is Boyle being a very large man whose value had dropped significantly was able to vastly improve his skating. Can Rempe improve to some degree as he grows into his body and trains? Maybe, maybe not. It does give you some hope though.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Why would he want to play with a team that doesn't even want him?

He basically put out publicly he wouldn't play anywhere so even the teams not on his list wouldn't trade for him. He's a snake.
Add to that the Winnipeg nonsense and we have what folks like to call a pattern.

I don’t blame him for using his list, but I do blame him for essentially throwing out there that he’ll be a malcontent and may or may not report. Submit your list and shut your mouth. That’s the spirit of the contract agreement.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Making more doesn't equate to being more important.

We'll agree to disagree on that.
Isn’t she in training still? Is it even confirmed she is a surgeon? Even if she is, let’s let her save a few lives before pontificating about how important she is. There are people who are valuable and useless in every career field. I’ll avoid the obvious Jacob Trouba joke here.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Add to that the Winnipeg nonsense and we have what folks like to call a pattern.

I don’t blame him for using his list, but I do blame him for essentially throwing out there that he’ll be a malcontent and may or may not report. Submit your list and shut your mouth. That’s the spirit of the contract agreement.
Was it in the spirit of contract agreement that let the Rangers get rid of Goodrow as he got waived or was it to circumvent his NTC? It goes both ways

I'd personally drop Berard on there. Someone with speed who can dig the puck out of a corner and be first on the forecheck. Jesper Fastesque style. I'd rather they split the romance up but if not put someone with some wheels and tenacity there. Seems as though that's what works for those two….

How do you personally even do this Smith and Kakko around?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Was it in the spirit of contract agreement that let the Rangers get rid of Goodrow as he got waived or was it to circumvent his NTC? It goes both ways

Have no problem with it really, Smith is pretty versatile, a line of Smith Chytil and Kakko would do some work imo. Both lines get stronger and Kreider and Zib get the style of player that works for them. I mean you'd start the year with Kakko and Smith fighting for the spot but eventually try in Berard after he is comfortable

Kreider zib Berard
Panarin Trochek Lafreniere
Smith Chytil Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Rempe/Vesey

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Have no problem with it really, Smith is pretty versatile, a line of Smith Chytil and Kakko would do some work imo. Both lines get stronger and Kreider and Zib get the style of player that works for them. I mean you'd start the year with Kakko and Smith fighting for the spot but eventually try in Berard after he is comfortable

Kreider zib Berard
Panarin Trochek Lafreniere
Smith Chytil Kakko
Cuylle Carrick Rempe/Vesey
I think Othmann is in the top 9 over Berard.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’d prefer to see Rempe only in vs teams with a goon otherwise let him go down and get more ice time

Edstrom or Berard can take other games

Othmaan is the wild card

It’s either that or they will use a Brodzinski as the 13th.

I also don’t think Vesey should be guaranteed anything more than a spare spot

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I’d prefer to see Rempe only in vs teams with a goon otherwise let him go down and get more ice time

Othmaan is the wild card

Rempe should be playing most games in hfd till after the deadline at least. He needs to develop, he won’t playing 5 minutes a game in the nhl.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Othmaan is the wild card

Rempe should be playing most games in hfd till after the deadline at least. He needs to develop, he won’t playing 5 minutes a game in the nhl.
accept growing pains
let kid play real mins HERE

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Yes it was absolutely in the spirit of the contract to waive Goodrow and NOT circumvention. The major difference between NTC and NMC is that a player can be waived/demoted with an NTC. That’s why players make concessions to get the NMC. IF NYR had gotten concessions from SJS to waive him, THEN it would have been circumvention.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Yes it was absolutely in the spirit of the contract to waive Goodrow and NOT circumvention. The major difference between NTC and NMC is that a player can be waived/demoted with an NTC. That’s why players make concessions to get the NMC. IF NYR had gotten concessions from SJS to waive him, THEN it would have been circumvention.
They did indirectly -- Drury had to be sure SJ was going to grab him from the waiver wire.

On another subject....anyone know when training camp starts?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Then it is also in the spirit of the contract for Trouba to not report to the team his traded and bypass his remaining salary. IMO

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Isn’t she in training still? Is it even confirmed she is a surgeon? Even if she is, let’s let her save a few lives before pontificating about how important she is. There are people who are valuable and useless in every career field. I’ll avoid the obvious Jacob Trouba joke here.

IMHO, a foot surgeon is more important than a Hockey player.

IMHO

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
No. Trouba's NMC coincided with the time she was scheduled to intern and was supposed to change to limited NTC around the same time she "graduated." However, her internship was supposed to end this summer but it was pushed back a year (don't know the reason). If not for the one-year delay, Trouba would most likely be gone now.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
No. Trouba's NMC coincided with the time she was scheduled to intern and was supposed to change to limited NTC around the same time she "graduated." However, her internship was supposed to end this summer but it was pushed back a year (don't know the reason). If not for the one-year delay, Trouba would most likely be gone now.
I don’t think Trouba has any intention to leave. A year from now her residency will end, and we’ll hear that her new job at whatever hospital in NYC is extremely important to them.

He has a track record from Winnipeg. Just to reiterate, hard to fault a guy for using his contractual list, but the other stuff that he put out there violates the agreement in my opinion. Morally if not technically legally.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
IMHO, a foot surgeon is more important than a Hockey player.

IMHO
Yea, I don’t know exactly what she does or how good at it she is. Frankly, I don’t care. The contract he signed is the contract he signed. Fifteen team list and that’s it. You don’t start floating things through your agent. The Rangers held up their end of the bargain. They pulled him out of WPG and sign his checks.

I do know Trouba is making 8 million a year and not living up to his deal. Odds are the vast majority of their wealth will come from his playing career. I’m sure she’ll have a fruitful career wherever they land whether it’s locally or far away. That really isn’t the NYR problem. How many players over the years married local women just to get demoted, traded, or sign elsewhere as a UFA. I’m sure it sucks for that woman to leave her family, but that’s part of the deal. The NYR shouldn’t be giving him special concessions for his wife’s job. That’s crazy.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I don’t think Trouba has any intention to leave. A year from now her residency will end, and we’ll hear that her new job at whatever hospital in NYC is extremely important to them.

He has a track record from Winnipeg. Just to reiterate, hard to fault a guy for using his contractual list, but the other stuff that he put out there violates the agreement in my opinion. Morally if not technically legally.
I'm not disagreeing with you. It may not be a popular opinion, but if he threatens not to report to where he's traded, I'd give him the Redden treatment: waive him and when no one claims him, bury him in Hartford.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad