Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Sure. But to notify those teams, IF he did, in order to pre-empt a trade is certainly NOT in the spirit of the contract. It’s along the lines of tampering if you think about it. Players aren’t supposed to be having those kinds of conversations with other teams while they are under contract. And vice versa. It’s a moot point though, because that was nothing but an unsubstantiated rumor. IMO Trouba did nothing untoward, and NYR did nothing untoward.
Trouba didn’t notify these teams. He didn’t go to any of them specifically. He just said in the open that if he’s traded he’s not going to report. That’s fine. Same general way as when a player would announce the last year of playing / retiring after a season.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Trouba didn’t notify these teams. He didn’t go to any of them specifically. He just said in the open that if he’s traded he’s not going to report. That’s fine. Same general way as when a player would announce the last year of playing / retiring after a season.
Actually he didn’t say that out in the open or it would be verifiable… which it is not. So if the NYR just said out in the open, not to McDavid, “Hey if McDavid gets himself to free agency, we would sign him to a contract like this league has never seen before.” you think that wouldn’t be tampering? Hahaha. Come on. If Trouba did that he would be circumventing the spirit of his limited NTC. It’s clear as day. But again moot, since there’s no evidence he ever did that.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
The fact is Trouba is here and is the Captain for next season. Full stop. Reasons why hes still here vs being traded are what they are. By all accounts - he acted within his contractual rights - as did Drury by the way.

It's uncomfortable but Trouba will be a professional about it. He might be a difficult player to watch right now but he's a good human being and a solid leader. Next summer something will happen. Until then, he's the captain of the team.

The sooner we all come to terms with it being what it is, the sooner we can stop talking about the unimportant stuff.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
That’s a lot of assumption. And that still does not add up to circumvention. No considerations from SJS means no circumvention. Goodrow was not pleased with this move, do you really think he and his agent didn’t check all of this out already?

I never said anything about circumvention.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I’d prefer to see Rempe only in vs teams with a goon otherwise let him go down and get more ice time

Edstrom or Berard can take other games

Othmaan is the wild card

It’s either that or they will use a Brodzinski as the 13th.

I also don’t think Vesey should be guaranteed anything more than a spare spot
The problem with the AHL is it's a Defensman and Goon league.

I'd want Rempe, from a development stand point, to work in the middle 6 on skill and play reading development, not as a punching bag for every career minor leaguer looking to make a name for himself at Rempes expense every single night.

It's one thing to do it in the NHL. Not every team has goons due to the way the NHL is played today vs 20y ago. He's done the (prove yourself) rounds last season.

It's a tough call. Less time up here, or more time down there but not getting the experience you want him to get anyway.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The problem with the AHL is it's a Defensman and Goon league.

I'd want Rempe, from a development stand point, to work in the middle 6 on skill and play reading development, not as a punching bag for every career minor leaguer looking to make a name for himself at Rempes expense every single night.

It's one thing to do it in the NHL. Not every team has goons due to the way the NHL is played today vs 20y ago. He's done the (prove yourself) rounds last season.

It's a tough call. Less time up here, or more time down there but not getting the experience you want him to get anyway.
Sure but it being a defenseman and tight defense league is good because it shows him the gap he needs to close to get better.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He did???
Euphemism. We’re talking in the context of illegal circumvention of contract terms. Maybe his agent did to an insider. My point was that it wasn’t conveyed directly from a player/agent to someone within specific organization’s front office.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Here we go again, last year you thought the devils would be better than us too.

We would’ve f*cked up Edmonton in that final and I think every hockey fan knows that. No team in the east scares me this coming season.

Floridas depth is also gone now and we put up a fight against that team at their best while we had injuries everywhere.

Who is standing in our way? Rebounding and soaring Avalanche? Our team fully healthy I think can f*ck that team up too.
My dude spitting speculation out like it's facts... You can't be for real there.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Saw Training camp in the title and got excited!
This is in a little over 2 weeks!

50/50 on if it's even streamed, but i'm still excited to get my hopes destroyed again!

Thanks for the heads up on this. I am seeing Weezer in Philly on 9/13 during a dudes weekend and we’ve been struggling to figure out what to do/where to go on Saturday. Problem solved.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
My dude spitting speculation out like it's facts... You can't be for real there.

That team doesn’t concern me, their depth is trash and plenty of fans I’ve spoken to were pretty confident about taking them had we made it there. It’s history now and I really don’t give a shit anymore. *I also said ‘I think’. Never said “THESE R FACTZ BRO.” Obviously it’s my opinion here.

I am just a confident fan of this current team and saying they’re not good enough is utter bullshit. I want to see this team actually fully healthy in the playoffs and playing to the top of their ability. Sadly, we haven’t see that yet from this current team in the conference finals stage.

We shall see this season. I’m just over the Debbie Downer takes, but to each his own, I know what it is here.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That team doesn’t concern me, their depth is trash and plenty of fans I’ve spoken to were pretty confident about taking them had we made it there. It’s history now and I really don’t give a shit anymore. *I also said ‘I think’. Never said “THESE R FACTZ BRO.” Obviously it’s my opinion here.

I am just a confident fan of this current team and saying they’re not good enough is utter bullshit. I want to see this team actually fully healthy in the playoffs and playing to the top of their ability. Sadly, we haven’t see that yet from this current team in the conference finals stage.

We shall see this season. I’m just over the Debbie Downer takes, but to each his own, I know what it is here.
It's not a "Debbie Downer" take to think Edmonton is better. They're one of the two best teams in the league and probably deserved to win the Cup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Whatever deal the Rangers made to move Trouba quite apparently Trouba blocked via the terms of the conditions of the deal he signed with the Rangers. There doesn't seem to be any dispute between the Rangers/Trouba that he was within his rights to do that. If they had made a deal that Jacob couldn't block and Jacob refused to report the Rangers could have just simply voided his contract for breach.

I get that some people are very disappointed about that but this is what it is. Past the point of a day then of free agency the options the Rangers might have had to find a cheaper/better replacement if they could have moved him were gone which is why there's really been no more about it from the team or even Trouba himself. We're going forward with him into 2024-25.

I do think that short of a Stanley Cup this will be his last season with us and maybe even if we do win it he will be moved along. Drury will make sure of his options next time around so that Jacob won't (or won't be able to) block.

Getting mad at the player about this IMO is just a waste of energy. It's his personal life and he had via his contract this call he could make on a personal life decision----he's not taking anyone's birthday or Christmas away. He's liked and respected by his teammates---he's not a problem in the locker room or outside in his daily life.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I never said anything about circumvention.
This is just semantics. You said Drury “indirectly” went around the spirit of the contract… what do you think circumvention means?
Anyway. I have nothing more to add. Drury did nothing wrong in waiving Goodrow.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Saying that team doesn't concern me is a lot different than spewing out stuff like "We would’ve f*cked up Edmonton in that final and I think every hockey fan knows that", then running the opinion game because you said "I think."

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There are some guys who I would be very much okay with getting a PTO or a 1-year min contract as depth that are still out there...

Pacioretty
Cousins
Labanc
Lorentz
Barabanov
Schultz
JVR
Addison

I'd really like for them to find a d-man to sign honestly. I don't mind the top-6 for now, but having Scanlin, Robertson, Harpur, Mackey and Ruwedel as depth doesn't give me the warm the fuzzies. Maybe give a younger guy like Addison a chance

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
It's not a "Debbie Downer" take to think Edmonton is better. They're one of the two best teams in the league and probably deserved to win the Cup.
No. They were one of the last two remaining teams.
There are lots of years where the second best team is out in an earlier round.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No. They were one of the last two remaining teams.
There are lots of years where the second best team is out in an earlier round.
They were one of the best teams in the league all year.

They won at like a 60-win rate after changing coaches and they were #1 in the NHL in xGF% before changing coaches.

People just decided Edmonton are no good because they blew a few of McDavid's prime years back when they did suck. It's old news. Depth isn't really an issue anymore and defensive play sure isn't an issue anymore.

They're a better team than we are by almost any measure over the last three years. We've won a whopping six more regular season games but they've won two more series.

There literally isn't an argument for us being a better team. Not wins, not analytics, not talent.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
They lost. And it’s quite the Debbie Downer take to think we didn’t deserve to be in 2/3 of the conference finals the last three seasons.

Saying that team doesn't concern me is a lot different than spewing out stuff like "We would’ve f*cked up Edmonton in that final and I think every hockey fan knows that", then running the opinion game because you said "I think."

No game man. It’s opinion just as we all have here. We’re allowed to disagree and I’ve always been down with that. I’m confident that if we weren’t banged up and beat Florida, we take them. I’ve moved on, but can state my thoughts on the subject without caring to fully deep dive into the past. I’m excited about the season and especially next playoffs. That’s where I’m fully at.

They don’t worry me moving forward either. If we’re healthier in the playoffs and have progression from the youth, I think we can take every team. They are ‘if’s’ but not impossible ‘if’s’.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad