Roster Building Thread - Part XII(Training Camp/Preseason)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No. They were one of the last two remaining teams.
There are lots of years where the second best team is out in an earlier round.
This wasn't one of those years. They had a rough start, but since Jan 1st they were a great team.
2nd in powerplay percentage.
2nd in goals scored.
1st in the league in point percentage.

Playoffs
3rd in goals scorer per game
2nd in powerplay %
1st in PK %
1st in shots against (over 10 games played)

You can't point to anybody in the first round and say they were a better team this season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
There are some guys who I would be very much okay with getting a PTO or a 1-year min contract as depth that are still out there...

Pacioretty
Cousins
Labanc
Lorentz
Barabanov
Schultz
JVR
Addison

I'd really like for them to find a d-man to sign honestly. I don't mind the top-6 for now, but having Scanlin, Robertson, Harpur, Mackey and Ruwedel as depth doesn't give me the warm the fuzzies. Maybe give a younger guy like Addison a chance

What's the point of signing a defenseman who will never play? I would imagine Addison would prefer to go to a worse team where he could get playing time but considering he can't even make the Sharks his chance of landing an NHL job are extremely low. He's just a bust. If they need a dman at some point they will have to trade for one anyway since none of the UFA are competent. Schultz is adequate but a PP guy who doesn't PK is basically the exact opposite of what they need. Ruhwedel is probably better than any of the available UFA in a 3rd pairing/PK/depth role. Seems like a waste of a contract spot to me to sign any of these guys.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
What's the point of signing a defenseman who will never play? I would imagine Addison would prefer to go to a worse team where he could get playing time but considering he can't even make the Sharks his chance of landing an NHL job are extremely low. He's just a bust. If they need a dman at some point they will have to trade for one anyway since none of the UFA are competent. Schultz is adequate but a PP guy who doesn't PK is basically the exact opposite of what they need. Ruhwedel is probably better than any of the available UFA in a 3rd pairing/PK/depth role. Seems like a waste of a contract spot to me to sign any of these guys.

If one of the top-6 d-men go down, or even two of them, having someone who can play NHL minutes, even at a 12-15 minute a game level, is valuable

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If one of the top-6 d-men go down, or even two of them, having someone who can play NHL minutes, even at a 12-15 minute a game level, is valuable

So you trade for someone at that point instead of signing someone you know is bad. Almost all of the FA are PP only guys. There is basically no chance they would ever come into the lineup unless Fox or Jones are out. If it's short term you can just ride it out with the depth you have. None of the guys in the system is going to tank the season in a short-term depth role any worse than the awful group of remaining FA will

Last edited:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Getting mad at the player about this IMO is just a waste of energy. It's his personal life and he had via his contract this call he could make on a personal life decision----he's not taking anyone's birthday or Christmas away. He's liked and respected by his teammates---he's not a problem in the locker room or outside in his daily life.
To piggyback on this, a lot of comments made on this site about Trouba (or any subpar player) are as if the poster's have legitimate skin in the game/team beyond being a fan. Hockey is supposed to be entertainment; if it's not entertaining you, take a break. It's like people are absolutely terrified of being called a fairweather fan because then the "real fans" won't allow them to celebrate if they didn't watch games #56-60 as if their game-watching habits are being monitored.

I get being invested in the sport, I get wanting to see the Rangers win games and win a Cup. I get that it's fun and interesting to break down the underlying numbers and see what's what around the league. What I don't get is the personal, burning vitriol towards players for exercising contractual rights given to them by the team. Go yell at Drury/Dolan/whoever for giving Trouba the contract to sign.

If anyone's employer sat them down and offered a monstrous contract with a legal clause that offered the same sort of job security as an NTC/NMC, how many people would say to their employer "Oh, no sorry. I couldn't possibly accept that. How can we re-work the contract so your company has more freedom to get rid of me whenever they want"? Not a soul. Blame does not lay on the employee here.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To piggyback on this, a lot of comments made on this site about Trouba (or any subpar player) are as if the poster's have legitimate skin in the game/team beyond being a fan. Hockey is supposed to be entertainment; if it's not entertaining you, take a break. It's like people are absolutely terrified of being called a fairweather fan because then the "real fans" won't allow them to celebrate if they didn't watch games #56-60 as if their game-watching habits are being monitored.

I get being invested in the sport, I get wanting to see the Rangers win games and win a Cup. I get that it's fun and interesting to break down the underlying numbers and see what's what around the league. What I don't get is the personal, burning vitriol towards players for exercising contractual rights given to them by the team. Go yell at Drury/Dolan/whoever for giving Trouba the contract to sign.

If anyone's employer sat them down and offered a monstrous contract with a legal clause that offered the same sort of job security as an NTC/NMC, how many people would say to their employer "Oh, no sorry. I couldn't possibly accept that. How can we re-work the contract so your company has more freedom to get rid of me whenever they want"? Not a soul. Blame does not lay on the employee here.
The personal vitriol towards players is always way over the top on here, and I say that as somebody who has a pretty negative perspective of the team on the ice.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So you trade for someone at that point instead of signing someone you know is bad. Almost all of the FA are PP only guys. There is basically no chance they would ever come into the lineup unless Fox or Jones are out. If it's short term you can just ride it out with the depth you have. None of the guys in the system is going to tank the season in a short-term depth role any worse than the awful group of remaining FA will

I'd argue that should a defensive d-man, like Trouba, Lindgren or Schneider go down, replacing their minutes with the current depth would be possible but if Jones or Fox go down, there really isn't another d-man capable of running a PP.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I'd argue that should a defensive d-man, like Trouba, Lindgren or Schneider go down, replacing their minutes with the current depth would be possible but if Jones or Fox go down, there really isn't another d-man capable of running a PP.

It almost surely would be Miller or Trouba ahead in line of any of the fringe NHL players available even if they were in the organization.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fair. The disparagement is entirely on ice.
Matter of fact, he's a very nice kid. I've watched the team exit on 8th avenue after home games a number of times and he's by far the guy most willing to stop and sign stuff. I hate him on the ice, but I wouldn't sit here and shit on his hobbies or his wife's career. That's none of my business.

I want him to succeed. I'm very unconfident that he's going to but I'll be happy if he does.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Matter of fact, he's a very nice kid. I've watched the team exit on 8th avenue after home games a number of times and he's by far the guy most willing to stop and sign stuff. I hate him on the ice, but I wouldn't sit here and shit on his hobbies or his wife's career. That's none of my business.

I want him to succeed. I'm very unconfident that he's going to but I'll be happy if he does.
Appreciate that take. Some people can’t separate the two things.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
The personal vitriol towards players is always way over the top on here, and I say that as somebody who has a pretty negative perspective of the team on the ice.
Most posters, myself very much included, are guilty of being over the top at one point or another when it comes to this team and I'm certainly not expecting every post to be roses and rainbows when the team is able to suck the chrome off a trailer hitch. When something seems so blatantly obvious to us, it can feel frustrating when nothing gets done by the people who have actual influence to alleviate whatever it is. But when 9 out of 10 posts shift from "This guy sucks as a player and can be detrimental to team success" to "This scumbag is aligned with a dark underworld cabal trying to actively and knowingly destroy the Rangers organization"..I have to tap out. Joking or not, it's tiresome for everyone to echo the same lines about Mika's diet or Kakko being a "beta." A bland off-season doesn't help conjure up fresh conversation either so I get why it's a fixation when it was the biggest storyline for the team this summer. Only about a month until we have things to really complain about again. :nod:

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
If the team is winning I can't deal with the constant negativity. Good of them to throw in the occasional loss so the naysayers can vent. It's entertainment. 82 games is a lot over the winter. If they're top of the league, I'm entertained.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If the team is winning I can't deal with the constant negativity. Good of them to throw in the occasional loss so the naysayers can vent. It's entertainment. 82 games is a lot over the winter. If they're top of the league, I'm entertained.
I wouldn't say it's a matter of not being entertained. I was mostly entertained in 2023-24.

I just don't think the team is that serious in regard to being a Stanley Cup contender. People take that a huge slight, but honestly, there's only 4 or 5 teams I could see winning it. We're not, in my opinion, in that tier.

And then, you have to get into the conversation (at some point) -and I think it legit rears its head if they don't win it this year- about "what are we doing if we're not actually good enough?" Especially with Igor's extension coming up. I have no interest in that extension if we're not a serious Cup threat.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
There are some guys who I would be very much okay with getting a PTO or a 1-year min contract as depth that are still out there...

Pacioretty
Cousins
Labanc
Lorentz
Barabanov
Schultz
JVR
Addison

I'd really like for them to find a d-man to sign honestly. I don't mind the top-6 for now, but having Scanlin, Robertson, Harpur, Mackey and Ruwedel as depth doesn't give me the warm the fuzzies. Maybe give a younger guy like Addison a chance

Addison is another small dman. Rangers need to get some dman with some size. Nick Cicek only 24 and a physical dman.

Will Zmolek another young dman 25 years old

Cal Foote

I would not mind Cousins.

Knowing the Rangers, they’ll give Bortuzzo a PTO

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The qualification for a defenseman PTO has to be that there needs to be at least a 5% chance that they're presently better than Ruhwedel.

Maybe we can blame expansion for this but I don't see too many names that qualify.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Addison is another small dman. Rangers need to get some dman with some size. Nick Cicek only 24 and a physical dman.

Will Zmolek another young dman 25 years old

Cal Foote

I would not mind Cousins.

Knowing the Rangers, they’ll give Bortuzzo a PTO
The guy we should be targeting -- have been sayin for 2 yrs now -- is Helleson, a big, natural righty RD that Ana has [last time I looked] and he is in their picture, but on the periphery [like Barron in MON, who is our other target].
Won't be cheap or expensive, which is fine.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Speaking to that if the Rangers are underperforming and playing like shit I usually just turn the TV off and find something else to do. Maybe check back later.....see if things have changed for the better and if not that's it for the night. Last thing I need is to be angry continually over hockey games. There's enough other stuff to be angry about and FWIW I don't really want to be angry at anything or anyone. It just doesn't do anything for me.

There's a bit of difference with quality of teams. When we were retooling and we were watching more kids and it was kind of a known that we weren't making the playoffs I could stick around just watching the younger guys making progress then.

Even the best teams have bad nights......not just us. Even teams from other fanbases have guys they hate on their team. Ekblad is not very popular in Florida---lots of vitriol there. Bobrovsky wasn't really either until the 2023 playoffs. Every team also has players underperforming their contracts and sometimes it's because with age and/or injury their play regresses even if their pay remains the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad